Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Plans to Transition to All 737 for Mainline and All E75 for Regional by Jan. 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Plans to Transition to All 737 for Mainline and All E75 for Regional by Jan. 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by mtofell
I won't miss the 400s to say the least. It was fun riding them a couple times just to say I could and for the experience but at 6'4" I feel I'm at least a foot taller than the person that plane was built for.
I don’t think many customers or crew will miss the Q. Outside of the pilots who’ve decided they’d rather be home each night, which is a few, that plane is a colossal headache. Before I retired the running joke was you can build a city for less dough than the maintenance infrastructure that AAG built to get that plane reliable. The rumors as I’ve been getting them, are the E jets can fly all the Q routes, until that jets economics kill them. Take that for what it’s worth. The phase out is first all about stemming the rising maint costs of the plane. The second, is as stated by SFOFCO, a bid to entice new hire pilots to all jet regional flying. SMH, unfortunately, In today’s pilot market, if AAG doesn't bump pay, and fix the QX CBA? They’re going to be on the outside looking in. Which I’d say means those customers that use the Q for smaller markets may be out of luck sooner than later.
Klrduks and mtofell like this.

Last edited by Tack; Mar 26, 2022 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Will be interesting to see if the 737-10 gets certified before the end of the year regulation change deadline, which unless extended (which congress has to do) will then require an extensive rework to meet the new regulations and I would imagine significant delays. That might be why AS is keeping the A321neos around for a while, or would AS simply take more -9s? I also wonder if the -10 can fly westbound transcons in a strong winter jet stream without a fuel stop.
Daze and sltlyamusd like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I won't miss the 400s to say the least. It was fun riding them a couple times just to say I could and for the experience but at 6'4" I feel I'm at least a foot taller than the person that plane was built for.
I won't miss the 400, primarily because it requires me to bring another bag on certain trips. Certain things just aren't getting gate checked, even if it is meeting me right back by the plane.
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:51 am

Headroom-wise I’d agree, but legroom of course depends on the operator’s configuration, which was initially capped at 70 seats, allowing a very spacious cabin when the Q400 was first delivered. With extra legroom, free beer/wine and better snacks, early 2000s QX felt like a much more premium experience. Though the lack of a sink in the Q lav and lack of window shades was always annoying.
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tack
The second, is as stated by SFOFCO, a bid to entice new hire pilots to all jet regional flying. SMH, unfortunately, In today’s pilot market, if AAG doesn't bump pay, and fix the QX CBA? They’re going to be on the outside looking in. Which I’d say means those customers that use the Q for smaller markets may be out of luck sooner than later.
How on earth do you "entice new pilots" when you are parking almost half of your fleet? Current QX pilots may even be looking at furloughs since QX seems to want to park Qs years before they can get E jets to replace them. A sensible approach would be to replace the Q's with E's on a one for one basis as the new jets arrive. To me this seems like another self inflicted QX problem which is going to have consequence throughout the Alaska system.
sltlyamusd, notquiteaff and Tack like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Love the E175s, hope with no scope clause they're able to order the E2.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Tack
I don’t think many customers or crew will miss the Q.
But I might miss routes and frequency on the routes where I use QX to connect to AS.
wayfarer613 and Tack like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:26 pm

To clarity, flight attendants will get double pay thru May 31 AFTER she/he picks up 20% over the bid line for the month, THEN she/he will get double pay for the amount after that. Most won't do it. At some point one wants a day at home to see if the family recognizes you.
Tack likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:46 pm

“AS is also paying double time to flight attendants as demand is exceeding the staffing they have available-- so it is not just a matter of staffing pilots but also flight attendants, etc. They have also had trouble retaining ground staff so less flights while slightly expanding overall available seats can help with that as well.[/QUOTE]

To clarify - Alaska will be paying flight attendants double pay thru May 31 AFTER one picks up 20% over a normal month of flying. So normal month at straight pay. Next 20% of a normal month’s total at straight pay. THEN double pay kicks in. Most won’t do it. At some point one wants a day off at home to be sure the family recognizes you.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:57 pm

"To clarify - Alaska will be paying flight attendants double pay thru May 31 AFTER one picks up 20% over a normal month of flying. So normal month at straight pay. Next 20% of a normal month’s total at straight pay. THEN double pay kicks in. Most won’t do it. At some point one wants a day off at home to be sure the family recognizes you."

We are going to trade that problem for pilots and flight attendants getting a furloughs and getting QX frequencies and routes decimated. And don’t think it will just be shuttle flights and EAT/YKM flights, QX does lots of mid-cons as well.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
"To clarify - Alaska will be paying flight attendants double pay thru May 31 AFTER one picks up 20% over a normal month of flying. So normal month at straight pay. Next 20% of a normal month’s total at straight pay. THEN double pay kicks in. Most won’t do it. At some point one wants a day off at home to be sure the family recognizes you."

We are going to trade that problem for pilots and flight attendants getting a furloughs and getting QX frequencies and routes decimated. And don’t think it will just be shuttle flights and EAT/YKM flights, QX does lots of mid-cons as well.

The double pay applies to Alaska, not Horizon.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Love the E175s, hope with no scope clause they're able to order the E2.
That will never happen. As aggressive as AAG is on holding down pay for all work groups, they know adding a jet bigger than the 175 and giving it to pilots other than AS is a non starter. Their official in house response to that very question asked by a QX employee was a hard NO to maintain one AC type. But the reality is AS pilots would revolt. Junior FO’s would punch out to the majors in droves. Not to mention the potential to watch fatigue call outs sky rocket. This issue, for all airlines, is going to require bumps to initial pay rates going forward and development of pilot pipelines long term. QX is a great regional, but the next 2 years will be a challenge. AS is saying they are preparing to order more E’s for them, but without drivers, that’s just an order for giant paper-weights.

Last edited by Tack; Mar 26, 2022 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:37 pm

How on earth do you "entice new pilots" when you are parking almost half of your fleet? Current QX pilots may even be looking at furloughs since QX seems to want to park Qs years before they can get E jets to replace them. A sensible approach would be to replace the Q's with E's on a one for one basis as the new jets arrive. To me this seems like another self inflicted QX problem which is going to have consequence throughout the Alaska system.
QX is loosing pilots fast, including flow through to AS. They could shrink the fleet and still need to hire.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
QX is loosing pilots fast, including flow through to AS. They could shrink the fleet and still need to hire.
Not when we are talking almost 50% reduction.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:38 pm

Not when we are talking almost 50% reduction.
To be fair, no way there are furloughs. AS wants/needs to grow so all those drivers on the top at QX will flow via Pathways to fill big jet right seats.

Last edited by Tack; Mar 26, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.