Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
At this point, is SFO still an AS hub? Might just be a Seattle/LAX/San Diego feeder, so I question why they bother investing in even a lounge if they can't succeed in the airport enough to be a viable alternative to Southwest at OAK or United (lol).

I hoped they'd turn SFO into a SEA/PDX of CA with intrastate Regional feeders, but looks like that'll never happen now.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mfolf
At this point, is SFO still an AS hub? Might just be a Seattle/LAX/San Diego feeder, so I question why they bother investing in even a lounge if they can't succeed in the airport enough to be a viable alternative to Southwest at OAK or United (lol).

I hoped they'd turn SFO into a SEA/PDX of CA with intrastate Regional feeders, but looks like that'll never happen now.
AS had a lounge when it was a podunk outpost decades ago, with just a handful of West Coast US flights and a seasonal ANC flight.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It was also just about perfect timing to make the "I'll be outside in 5" call as I disembark and my ride waiting in the cellphone lot would meet me in almost perfect timing.
Or the other way: airport arrival, Pre security, walk to gate, "we are now ready to start boarding for flight _____" - 5 minutes after you have arrived at the airport, you are already on the plane.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
I'll miss T2, best pier at the airport
I can’t disagree. While I haven’t been in T1 yet, I can attest that T2 is the nicest SFO facility AS has ever had. I’ve had 3 trips on AS to SFO so far this year, including today and it’s just so damn easy to get in and out. I also enjoy the AL. I’m hopeful the new T1 AL can make up for the reported long T1 walks.
Visconti likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tack
I can’t disagree. While I haven’t been in T1 yet, I can attest that T2 is the nicest SFO facility AS has ever had. I’ve had 3 trips on AS to SFO so far this year, including today and it’s just so damn easy to get in and out. I also enjoy the AL. I’m hopeful the new T1 AL can make up for the reported long T1 walks.
T2 is unmatched in terms of ease and environment, at least in my view. Get out of the car, go through Clear and whatever Gate in about 10 minutes. The AS lounge is so convenient here, one can leave literally within minutes of boarding or final boarding time.

I can see why UA covets it, not to mention access to the Amex CL now. This was supposed to have been VX's designated T (like T5 is for B6 in JFK) because they were our hometown airline, the only one from the ground up and born in SF.
Tack likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Citabria
I do not buy the taxi/fuel savings argument; that was best at T2 for both departure and arrival. Here's to whoever uses T2 in the future.... United has begun to use some of those gates as overflow
The taxi fuel savings statement was pretty hilarious--especially reading it upon landing and taxing right past T2 to go to a T1 gate. I imagine T2 will be pretty empty unless WN relocates or a new carrier like Frontiret/Spritier decides to move into the space. UA always wanted some overflow gates but they won't really be needing many of those anytime soon.
sltlyamusd likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 30, 2022 at 3:17 pm Reason: Fix quote syntax.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The taxi fuel savings statement was pretty hilarious--especially reading it upon landing and taxing right past T2 to go to a T1 gate. I imagine T2 will be pretty empty unless WN relocates or a new carrier like Frontiret/Spritier decides to move into the space. UA always wanted some overflow gates but they won't really be needing many of those anytime soon.
I did not read that they were saving fuel when landing. Most aircraft used most of their fuel when they land. I believe they said they would save fuel, minor it may be, when departing from T 1 as they are close to the 1L/R departure runways. As for T2, has 18 gates and United, so far took 5 of them. I heard that Air Canada will move over and I could see Frontier moving too.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Hey, JetBlue, want some gates?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by mfolf
Hey, JetBlue, want some gates?
I was just talking with a friend about that, but JB just finished moving into T1 from the far end of A (not to mention they also have a relationship of sorts with AA).

-J.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Four pages of discussion and I'll be the first to ask -- once AS moves to T1, what's the best way to get to T1 from the SFO BART station? I swear the Airtrain takes fooooooorever
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by maradori
Four pages of discussion and I'll be the first to ask -- once AS moves to T1, what's the best way to get to T1 from the SFO BART station? I swear the Airtrain takes fooooooorever
I would think walking to the International Terminal and then crossing from A to G(?) where the BART is would be fastest.

-J.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I would think walking to the International Terminal and then crossing from A to G(?) where the BART is would be fastest.

-J.
You think correctly. Just note the A to G is landside, and the BART entrance is prior to the G pier. 10 minute walk from the foot (not gate end) of the B pier to the BART station.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by maradori
what's the best way to get to T1 from the SFO BART station? I swear the Airtrain takes fooooooorever
The Red line would be very quick, at least as fast as walking. The problem is there's currently no T1 AirTrain station. Instead you have to use the A station.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Question for SFO experts: is C gates T1 or T2?

Originally Posted by Tack
While T2 is the easiest terminal for accessibility, I honestly don't mind the longer walk through T1. T1 lets in a lot more natural light, and it's never swarmed with people, which I like.

Also, Admiral Club is always a fun time to visit. I am not really a lounge goer, and often get to the airport right around boarding time, but I have actually arrived at SFO early just to visit the AC, and have utilized the nap room a bunch of times. I think some AS lounge members can use AC??
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Question for SFO experts: is C gates T1 or T2?
C is historically South Terminal, then renamed T1. During the construction, you can't get to C from any T1 entry point - only from T2. I expect that it will magically return to T1 when the construction is complete.
minhaoxue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.