Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SriLankan Airlines (UL) Awards Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska

not as bad as Malaysia Airlines
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by freed0m
not as bad as Malaysia Airlines
Looks like you can't use them if you're transiting zones. Only seeing options with origination/destination in indian subcontinent.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:13 am

Yeah, kinda sucks that when they do resume Oceania flights, they will not be a viable partner to fly and try.
A bit better rates than the past few partners added. It is worth a look when Indian-subcontinent to Europe is 50k in J, and middle east is 30k in J and 17.5k in Y. Other than that, it is all pretty low value imho.
Can be a good way to get to MLE or even Gan Island from Europe or middle east.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I bet the S7 awards may take a little while…

Also, 40k for NRT-CMB-MLE isn’t terrible.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I bet the S7 awards may take a little while…

Also, 40k for NRT-CMB-MLE isn’t terrible.
not sure what you found, but it is 30k Y and 50k J
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
50k for Asia to Europe is pretty good. Just booked two of them
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
50k for Asia to Europe is pretty good. Just booked two of them
Time to watch some Sri Lankan Airlines A330 J reviews on YouTube
olouie and TalkingPoint like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Time to watch some Sri Lankan Airlines A330 J reviews on YouTube
CMB isn't a great airport to pass the time in. They only have a dozen a330s and two dozen total birds in their fleet so it's a pretty limited schedule. TYO-EU is pricing around $2k vs $4k on the directs which is a pretty good price all things considered. The food has always been good but nothing else too noteworthy. Last time I was there was 4 years ago right when the bombings happened. Would love to use the free stopover and finish the rest of my trip that got cut short.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
UL cancelled my flights in Dec, and there are no other alternatives, right now AS and UL are kicking me back and forth. UL said they cannot rebook me since it's a 027 ticket, I asked AS if they could rebook me on Thai, agent found the itinerary in GDS but couldn't rebook me since TG is not a partner. I asked if they could release the control to UL so I can contact UL directly to rebook, AS said they can't release the control. I said okay what about I wait until T-24 when UL gets the control then I ask UL to rebook? AS said even if UL has the control, they would have to contact AS to rebook me. AS suggested me to cancel my ticket, but I'm not doing that since the airline should have the duty of care and cash fare is already too high. Shall I wait until T-24 and call UL to rebook, or shall I buy a cash ticket then ask AS/UL to reimburse once the trip has been completed?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 985X
UL cancelled my flights in Dec, and there are no other alternatives, right now AS and UL are kicking me back and forth. UL said they cannot rebook me since it's a 027 ticket, I asked AS if they could rebook me on Thai, agent found the itinerary in GDS but couldn't rebook me since TG is not a partner. I asked if they could release the control to UL so I can contact UL directly to rebook, AS said they can't release the control. I said okay what about I wait until T-24 when UL gets the control then I ask UL to rebook? AS said even if UL has the control, they would have to contact AS to rebook me. AS suggested me to cancel my ticket, but I'm not doing that since the airline should have the duty of care and cash fare is already too high. Shall I wait until T-24 and call UL to rebook, or shall I buy a cash ticket then ask AS/UL to reimburse once the trip has been completed?
UL is not going to rebook you. Good luck suing AS in court for your expenses if you expect AS to reimburse you for whatever you want to buy. I imagine you should do the usual DOT complaint and customer service things.

This happens all the time here on FT:

- someone gets an AS award ticket on CX/UL/whatever
- it all goes pear shaped for the operating carrier
- AS as the ticketing carrier isn’t going to fly a 737 halfway around the world to fly you, so they can’t reroute you on their own metal
- AS isn’t buying you cash tickets on TG or whoever
- Sorry, no partner award availability for whatever it is you want (I assume you looked, right? Even for Y?)
- AS is happy to refund you though
- but that doesn’t get you where you need to be
-time for the post on FT (we are here)

”duty of care” is an EU 261 thing, AS isn’t operating in the EU, good luck with that if that is how you’re going to proceed.
notquiteaff, TalkingPoint and 985X like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

This happens all the time here on FT:

- someone gets an AS award ticket on CX/UL/whatever
and not just in the AS forum. All US carriers with “exotic” partners that fly to destinations that the US carriers don’t have service to face this issue. AS is somewhat more limited than the likes of UA and AA since those carriers have more destinations covered by their own medal that they could open seats on.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
and not just in the AS forum. All US carriers with “exotic” partners that fly to destinations that the US carriers don’t have service to face this issue. AS is somewhat more limited than the likes of UA and AA since those carriers have more destinations covered by their own medal that they could open seats on.
And AS still won't allow mixing of partners on one-way awards even if availability is there.
notquiteaff and TalkingPoint like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.