Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Recalibrates Boeing 737-9 Order - Adds 737-8 and 737-10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...s-recalibrates

Alaska Airlines announced plans today to broaden our mainline fleet by adjusting our current 737-9 aircraft order with Boeing to include the bigger 737-10 and longer-range 737-8, which are all part of the 737 MAX family of planes. These additional 737 models will enhance Alaska's ability to meet specific market requirements with optimal aircraft size and capability.
The goal is to have 60 737-10s, 70 737-9s and 15 737-8s in the fleet.
N830MH and PotomacApproach like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:51 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Note the word MAX is no longer used by Boeing or AS.

I wonder what routes will be best for the 737-10.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Seeing the 737-10 order, is this a sign AS has no intention to ordering any A321, remaining loyal Boeing customer.....

I should note that A321LR variety, in comparision to 737-10, has a potential to transform AS into a more international carrier, but still, AS seem to show no interest?!

Jiburi
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The 737-8 is the one that grabs my interest. Looks like the range is about 4,050 miles, that open some interesting possibilities. Personally I would love to see SEA-AUA.
N830MH and PDXPremier like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
I like how the 737-800s are finally getting refurbished starting in August
jsguyrus and Resplendent like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by dayone
Note the word MAX is no longer used by Boeing or AS.
????

Alaska Airlines announced plans today to broaden our mainline fleet by adjusting our current 737-9 aircraft order with Boeing to include the bigger 737-10 and longer-range 737-8, which are all part of the 737 MAX family of planes.

"The 737 MAX family can meet a broad range of missions, while reducing fuel use, cutting emissions and offering commonality for passengers and crews alike. We look forward to supporting Alaska as they diversify their 737 MAX family with the 737-8 and 737-10," said
Brad McMullen, vice president of North America Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I should have read more closely.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
As a consumer and definitely not a pilot, I honestly don't know what to think here.

On the one hand, this plane has been inspected and gone over with a fine toothed comb by government regulators. On the other hand, there are still articles being published by authors who claim to know what they are talking about that attack the basic design of these aircraft as inherently unsafe and not worthy of commercial travel.

I'm sort of taking the position, whether justly or unjustly, that I need to see many years of service on MAX aircraft without incident before I put enough trust in them to fly on one. There may be situations where this is unavoidable, e.g. aircraft swaps after booking, but with DL sitting on the sidelines and not having ordered these planes, there's at least another choice in SEA. I'd rather fly AS over DL but as a Y passenger who isn't super price-conscious, avoiding the MAX is a higher order bit over both airline and price.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
As a consumer and definitely not a pilot, I honestly don't know what to think here.

On the one hand, this plane has been inspected and gone over with a fine toothed comb by government regulators. On the other hand, there are still articles being published by authors who claim to know what they are talking about that attack the basic design of these aircraft as inherently unsafe and not worthy of commercial travel.
My understanding (which could not be entirely correct) is that the original problem happened due to a single point of failure, i.e. one angle sensor that could by itself cause these issues if it malfunctioned. I believe the correction was to add a second sensor, which allows the system to detect a single failure, alert the pilot and disable the system.
AS737 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by frankvb
My understanding (which could not be entirely correct) is that the original problem happened due to a single point of failure, i.e. one angle sensor that could by itself cause these issues if it malfunctioned. I believe the correction was to add a second sensor, which allows the system to detect a single failure, alert the pilot and disable the system.
there's an AOA sensor on each side of the nose; I believe the input from the one on the left feeds the computers and displays on the First Officer's panel and the inputs from the one on the right feed the computers and displays on the Captain's panel

in simplistic terms, I believe the MCAS design flaw was that it only took AOA input from the left sensor; the fix adds the redundant AOA input from the right sensor, as well as "AOA Input Disagree" logic that deactivates the system and alerts the pilots
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Originally Posted by BrandonAB
I like how the 737-800s are finally getting refurbished starting in August
Agreed, that’s arguably bigger news imo. The -800s are really starting to get long in the tooth.
Resplendent likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by selkirks
Agreed, that’s arguably bigger news imo. The -800s are really starting to get long in the tooth.
I was just on one last night for the first time in a while, its time for a refresh!
be_rettSEA and AS737 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:53 pm

What's the plan for the few 737-900s (Non-ER). Forgot about these until a few weeks ago. Old interiors...
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:41 pm

I remember several years ago, with great fanfare, the existing 800s used for Hawaii were all supposed to get the space bins. I rarely, if ever, see them these days. Did they just give up?

-David
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jiburi
Seeing the 737-10 order, is this a sign AS has no intention to ordering any A321, remaining loyal Boeing customer.....

I should note that A321LR variety, in comparision to 737-10, has a potential to transform AS into a more international carrier, but still, AS seem to show no interest?

Jiburi
International to where? Could it do much more from SEA than the current fleet can do from LAX? I would be shocked if AS had any route desires south of northern Latin America, or east of the North American Atlantic coast.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.