Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA ticket with mixed AS and AA operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

Here is an interesting glitch that we located, nice cheap flight offered on AA.com that included SEA-SMF on AS metal and then SMF-SJD on AA metal. Funny enough though, we cannot buy up to premium seats on the AS segment, and I wanted to my AA number in the SMF-SJD segment for extra space in MCE so we cannot upgrade in advance either. Looks like we will wind up in "suffering" in main cabin on the AS segment ;-)

But interesting as I called in and the Alaska agent kept telling me "your travel agency wont allow me to do this" and I had to correct her and mention this was a fellow OneWorld partner booking not a travel agent booking. Anyone else encounter this and have any ideas about how to either be able to buy up to Premium now or get access to Premium at check in time as MVPs?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I do not recommend this sort of ticket, AA issued with a first segment on AS. We had some glitches trying to check bags and they could not fix it until it was too late to make it to the gate. Very nice Seattle supervisor working now to get us five seats tomorrow via PDX.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I've had problems as well.
I booked via AA, ANC-SEA-DFW on AS then AA.
AS couldn't check me in, AA obviously couldn't check me in (first segment operated by AS).
Then the AS system did a sweep at about 20 hours out and tried to upgrade me, only to get REAL confused, and pretty much throw my reservation in the recycle bin.
45 minutes on the phone, and the very good agent finally said "Okay, I have no idea what's wrong with this, and I've waited for IT to answer my calls this entire time, so I'm just gonna call my buddy in the terminal at ANC and ask him what the hell."
She did. He said "Looks fine to me."
It took me about 30 minutes once I showed up to get checked in- the agent's computer kept spitting out three boarding passes. None of which were correct.
Finally, he too gave up and said "pick whichever boarding pass suits your needs best........I'd recommend the one in First Class, but you do you."

No one ever could get me a boarding pass for my AA SEA-DFW leg; I had to get in line at the gate in SEA, and once I got up to the counter, the agent said "What the heck has happened to your res? I can't even figure out what your destination city is."

Anyway, long story longer, BIG MESS, and I vowed to just avoid it in the future.

THAT SAID, you did try to do one no-no; you can't realistically apply one FFP number to one segment and another FFP number to a connecting segment.
I know some will say they've done it, but it's generally not allowed, and most agents aren't even about to waste the time to mess around with it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by stephem
AA issued with a first segment on AS.
Were you able to see the trip in the Alaska app? You should've been able to pull up your full itinerary with both Alaska and American via each airline's unique PNR for the trip.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I didn’t try to have a different number put in for each segment, that has never worked. I booked w my AA FF# in to get preferred seating on the second (AA operated) segment and then took the AS PNR, opened it and changed to my AS FF# and that changes the FF# on the AA segment too (but AA leaves people in preferred seats).

Anyway, that was not the problem and the inability to check our bags had nothing to do with FF#s. still not sure what the deal is, but clearly having AA ticket stock with AS operated flights is glitchy. We still had seat problems this morning, and required lots of manual intervention to get access to premium seats that were available to us as AS elites (the app wanted to charge us).
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:37 am

No, ignore the frequent flyer numbers, I'm asking if you were able to see the full itinerary with both airlines.

When you buy a two airline codeshare itinerary from American that has an Alaska flight they should issue you a six character reservation number for American and a separate six character reservation number for Alaska. You should be able to use the applicable reservation number for each airline to see the whole itinerary.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
No, ignore the frequent flyer numbers, I'm asking if you were able to see the full itinerary with both airlines.

When you buy a two airline codeshare itinerary from American that has an Alaska flight they should issue you a six character reservation number for American and a separate six character reservation number for Alaska. You should be able to use the applicable reservation number for each airline to see the whole itinerary.
Well you are not following what I am saying. Of course I did that, how else would i have been able to have both PNRs, look at seats on both carriers, etc. I’ve been flying Alaska since they handed out prayer cards on the first class meal tray, so i have been through a few integrations and reversals with AA.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I am experiencing something similar but on an AS issued ticket.

Originally had a round-trip on Alaska - 4 passengers across 2 locators, but they canceled our outbound segment. Alaska re-accommodated us on AA - so now have single tickets with AA on the outbound and AS for the return. AS shows the ticket issued and checked with an agent who swears it is re-issued properly. But on the AA side, says status unknown, says travel agent should call in to complete booking, and cannot select seats. On the AS side, for one of the reservations wanted to select premium seats to have us sitting together (the other was auto-upgraded based on status), but the Alaska website was not letting the selection/purchase of premium seats.

AS agent was able to sell us the premium seats for the AS flight manually via chat and send a link to pay - so the AS premium seats are now assigned. But wondering what I should do on the AA side to avoid issues when the travel date comes. Despite the assurances of the AS agent seems like something is not quite right with the ticket/reservation.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
I booked mixed ticket for half the price of each segment on two carriers booked separately. JAX to SEA only $238 while separate segment booking $500. Hope I don't have problems with baggage others have had.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Looking at a simple itinerary: EWR-SFO one-way. The corporate travel agency will sell me the AA codeshare (AS metal) for $80 less. Should I take it? Or is this still a mess and doing this would mean that I'm sure to not get upgraded to PE or Z?
Old May 17, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Went to AA agent to check baggage. The system wanted to charge me $30 per bag even though I'm OW Emerald. Agent had to override. Seems that AS MVP 100k status has not been updated on many AA systems.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Went to AA agent to check baggage. The system wanted to charge me $30 per bag even though I'm OW Emerald. Agent had to override. Seems that AS MVP 100k status has not been updated on many AA systems.
Nothing to do w/ 100K - this is standard for all AS (and I'm assuming all OW) status in my experience as a Gold that flies more frequently than I'd like to w/ AA. Really frustrating to have to wait in lines (and yes, there are often lines for Priority when things are busy) to avoid the $30 fee on the app or at kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.