Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Schedule Changes (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:26 pm

I was looking for this previously. Here are the “nearby” cities permitted when changing a reservation due to schedule changes. This is shown when you are in the process to make a change. Hope this helps someone.
pcoll, anteater, 985X and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
those are “co-terminals” which are more relevant for SDC than schedule changes

as I have mentioned above, I was able to change SEA-IAD to SEA-PHL and then SEA-JFK when AS cancelled my originally booked flights
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by jrl767
those are “co-terminals” which are more relevant for SDC than schedule changes

as I have mentioned above, I was able to change SEA-IAD to SEA-PHL and then SEA-JFK when AS cancelled my originally booked flights
Unfortunately SDC co-terminal changes only apply to the following cities:
SEA/PAE
SFO/SJC/OAK
LAX/ONT/BUR/SNA

Schedule change, however, allows you to change co-terminals beyond the west coast area.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
which was exactly my point
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
19 schedule changes this time.. Oct 6th-Nov 14th for me. Check your itinerary and see if there are significant changes!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:21 am

Called agent, told her I have 19 schedule changes, she said AS will release winter schedule on Sept 17th, so I should call them after that for my Oct/Nov/Dec bookings, and she gave me a 10min lecture of how I shouldn't keep calling them every week and changing it because the system won't recognize my original reservation, whereas if I let the schedule changes roll, the system will compare the finalized winter schedule with my original booking, and therefore rebooking me on a flight departing closer to my original departure time. She said if I change it now, it will be summer schedule and therefore still not finalized yet. Then she said perks of schedule changes like departing from co-terminals, choose a better timing, no fare difference, the change is on us, operational issues and that's why there are so many schedule changes... Nice lecture, tone is fine, I didn't feel offended at all.

Now the fun game: guess the agent is from which call center?
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AS
One vote for PHX.
surfport likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 985X
Called agent, told her I have 19 schedule changes, she said AS will release winter schedule on Sept 17th, so I should call them after that for my Oct/Nov/Dec bookings, and she gave me a 10min lecture of how I shouldn't keep calling them every week and changing it because the system won't recognize my original reservation, whereas if I let the schedule changes roll, the system will compare the finalized winter schedule with my original booking, and therefore rebooking me on a flight departing closer to my original departure time. She said if I change it now, it will be summer schedule and therefore still not finalized yet. Then she said perks of schedule changes like departing from co-terminals, choose a better timing, no fare difference, the change is on us, operational issues and that's why there are so many schedule changes... Nice lecture, tone is fine, I didn't feel offended at all.

Now the fun game: guess the agent is from which call center?
A lot of changes are just minor differences in flight times so I usually don't let my schedule changes sit...you want to make sure you are in the best possible seats which you might not get by waiting.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:45 am

Looks like PDX-BUR and PDX-ONT are down to 1 flight a day in the fall/winter. Not excited by that at all.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
So much for that plan and "confirmed" reservation. One week later, and AS cancels all BLI flights on Thanksgiving Day. AS is taking schedule unreliability to new heights.
Really trying to not make this sound like a rant, but I'm kind of at the end of my frustration tolerance for AS schedule changes, after yet another one today -- the third on the same Thanksgiving week itinerary over three weeks, each less convenient and resulting in a longer travel time than the ones before.

Background: Original reservation purchased in Jan 2022 for PAE-PSP and return, over Thanksgiving week 2022. Nonstops were important since I live in Bellingham and, if I wanted to connect, would have flown out of BLI (more on that flaw later). Dates couldn't change due to prepaid plans in PSP.

Four schedule changes through June, all for either a few minutes or a few hours, but I accepted all of them because they maintained the nonstops. Then:
  • On July 24, the outbound PAE-PSP nonstop disappeared and became a connecting flight. Since I had to change planes anyway, I shifted to a BLI-SEA-PSP-SEA-BLI routing to save an hour of driving each way.
  • On July 31, the same-day connecting return flight to BLI disappeared (there were no other options; I would have had to spend the night in SEA to get home). I changed back to PAE, flying PAE-SFO-PSP on the outbound, PSP-PAE nonstop on the return.
  • On Aug. 14, the outbound PAE-SFO flight disappears pushing the long-but-daytime itinerary into a late-night arrival in PSP.
I have refused to accept the latest schedule change, after talking with a CSR, because now it's both very inconvenient and 2.5X the travel time of the original nonstop.

I plan to contact Customer Care this week and see that, if I can't get a cash refund (which I doubt, since I used Wallet funds), if I can least get an extension on the expiration of booking with the Wallet funds past January 2023. I paid for a pretty expensive ticket, even in coach, PAE-PSP, specifically for the nonstop convenience.

Sadly, this Million Miler and one-time AS Gold Advisory Board member has given up on the vacation, and my wife agrees. We think we can save the pre-paid lodging booking for use another time.

But we simply can't trust AS' schedules anymore. I've already wasted a lot of time on the phone with CSRs about schedule changes, and rebooking car rentals at ever-increasing rates as Thanksgiving approaches. And who knows if there won't be even more flights dropped between now and then?

More of a vent than a rant. If anyone has tips on getting an extension of Wallet funds, or even a cash refund, I'm all ears. I figure it can't hurt to politely explain the situation and ask.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Really trying to not make this sound like a rant, but I'm kind of at the end of my frustration tolerance for AS schedule changes, after yet another one today -- the third on the same Thanksgiving week itinerary over three weeks, each less convenient and resulting in a longer travel time than the ones before.
Did you hear me scream Fuuuu…. a few minutes ago when I checked my reservations and came across

Third time this one has changed. And now I need to figure out what actually changed before making the call.

And I have a second reservation for another family member that probably has the same issue…
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd;[url=tel:34514029
34514029[/url]]Really trying to not make this sound like a rant, but I'm kind of at the end of my frustration tolerance for AS schedule changes, after yet another one today -- the third on the same Thanksgiving week itinerary over three weeks, each less convenient and resulting in a longer travel time than the ones before.

Background: Original reservation purchased in Jan 2022 for PAE-PSP and return, over Thanksgiving week 2022. Nonstops were important since I live in Bellingham and, if I wanted to connect, would have flown out of BLI (more on that flaw later). Dates couldn't change due to prepaid plans in PSP.

Four schedule changes through June, all for either a few minutes or a few hours, but I accepted all of them because they maintained the nonstops. Then:
  • On July 24, the outbound PAE-PSP nonstop disappeared and became a connecting flight. Since I had to change planes anyway, I shifted to a BLI-SEA-PSP-SEA-BLI routing to save an hour of driving each way.
  • On July 31, the same-day connecting return flight to BLI disappeared (there were no other options; I would have had to spend the night in SEA to get home). I changed back to PAE, flying PAE-SFO-PSP on the outbound, PSP-PAE nonstop on the return.
  • On Aug. 14, the outbound PAE-SFO flight disappears pushing the long-but-daytime itinerary into a late-night arrival in PSP.
I have refused to accept the latest schedule change, after talking with a CSR, because now it's both very inconvenient and 2.5X the travel time of the original nonstop.

I plan to contact Customer Care this week and see that, if I can't get a cash refund (which I doubt, since I used Wallet funds), if I can least get an extension on the expiration of booking with the Wallet funds past January 2023. I paid for a pretty expensive ticket, even in coach, PAE-PSP, specifically for the nonstop convenience.

Sadly, this Million Miler and one-time AS Gold Advisory Board member has given up on the vacation, and my wife agrees. We think we can save the pre-paid lodging booking for use another time.

But we simply can't trust AS' schedules anymore. I've already wasted a lot of time on the phone with CSRs about schedule changes, and rebooking car rentals at ever-increasing rates as Thanksgiving approaches. And who knows if there won't be even more flights dropped between now and then?

More of a vent than a rant. If anyone has tips on getting an extension of Wallet funds, or even a cash refund, I'm all ears. I figure it can't hurt to politely explain the situation and ask.
If AS CC cannot help you, feel free to DM me.
Seattlenerd likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
A bit more on the schedule changes affecting Thankgiving-period travel and nonstop flights at BLI and PAE in the Aug. 17 business column of Cascadia Daily News, which is based in Bellingham and covers northwest Washington state.

Not FlyerTalk-level detail, though. More of interest to everyday travellers who may fly out of those airports. It's the second long item, "Flightless foul holiday planning."
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
A bit more on the schedule changes affecting Thankgiving-period travel and nonstop flights at BLI and PAE in the Aug. 17 business column of Cascadia Daily News, which is based in Bellingham and covers northwest Washington state.
But for those who booked promptly, the reductions at BLI and PAE can cause chaos with downstream impacts on lodging and rental cars.

I wasn’t impacted by BLI/PAE changes, but AS kindly turned two of my non-stops between RDM and LAX into a connection at - surprise! - SEA. Which “breaks” my airport shuttles and rental car reservations, in addition to a much longer travel time. Sigh. Something to deal with tomorrow on my day off.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:10 pm

Already over 100,000 miles for the year on Mileage Plan but was going to be 5 AS segments short for the year for 100k. Three schedule changes allowed flights SEA-XXX to be changed to PAE--ZZZ-SEA-XXX picking up the extra necessary segments (and PAE being 10 minutes from home)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.