Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Ski Free. Who benefits? Alaska? Resort? Both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold

We’ve taken advantage of Alaska Ski Free deals for several years at different resorts. (Generally if you fly Alaska, you get a free lift ticket on day of arrival or departure). We always speculate about what the financial arrangement is between Alaska and these resorts around this deal.

Anyone know??
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by bumble
We’ve taken advantage of Alaska Ski Free deals for several years at different resorts. (Generally if you fly Alaska, you get a free lift ticket on day of arrival or departure). We always speculate about what the financial arrangement is between Alaska and these resorts around this deal.

Anyone know??
No idea about the financial arrangements but I'll *guess* the ski resort is sending marketing cash to Alaska Air rather than the other way around. They can both benefit, Alaska Air sells some tickets and the resort gets some likely multi-day customers.

For reference here is the current offer page for Alyeska on the Alaska Air site: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/explore/ski/alyeska
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by bumble

Anyone know??
Arrangements like this promote the destination and benefit everyone involved - the airline, the resort, and even area hotels and restaurants. If there is a financial arrangement it likely runs through the area's visitor center/or CVB.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Nobody, since the rules are you must use it on the day of arrival. So for those who are flying from the continental US to most of alaska will probably be arriving later in the day. So your skiing would be quite limited.

I talked to an aleyaska employee the day after our arrival, saying how we landed at 9PM the day before and if there’s anything she could do. She replied “yeah I know it’s stupid, cuz alaska only pays us if it’s the day of, we’ve had multiple people bring this up to us”
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by itripreport
Nobody, since the rules are you must use it on the day of arrival.
Actually, this isn't true. Each destination is different. For some, you can ski free on the day of departure. For others, like Red Mountain Resort, it can be any day within the promotional window.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by itripreport
Nobody, since the rules are you must use it on the day of arrival. So for those who are flying from the continental US to most of alaska will probably be arriving later in the day. So your skiing would be quite limited.

I talked to an aleyaska employee the day after our arrival, saying how we landed at 9PM the day before and if there’s anything she could do. She replied “yeah I know it’s stupid, cuz alaska only pays us if it’s the day of, we’ve had multiple people bring this up to us”
I sent Alyeska an email in December asking about an AS193 (LAX-ANC, scheduled to land at 11:59PM) flight I had booked, and they said it wouldn't qualify. Technically correct, but I was a bit sad. 9PM I understand though.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:51 pm

Does this apply for ski tickets only or also for ski lessons as well ie. Alyeska? As a Floridian I am not exactly an experienced skier but never turn down the opportunity to do it, even it means taking lessons until I get better.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by FoxtrotSierra
Does this apply for ski tickets only or also for ski lessons as well ie. Alyeska? As a Floridian I am not exactly an experienced skier but never turn down the opportunity to do it, even it means taking lessons until I get better.
Not sure but you can call them to ask if they'll apply the value to a lesson package.

Tip at Alyeska if you're on the beginner side and if you are able to ski during the week: buy a lower mountain lift ticket, it's the bargain of the century. Even less for military, students, seniors, etc. And if you'll ski more than one day then buy the lower mountain Choice pass -- a one-time payment of $20 for the RFID card gets you a 20% discount on your daily lift ticket for the rest of the season.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
No idea about the financial arrangements but I'll *guess* the ski resort is sending marketing cash to Alaska Air rather than the other way around. They can both benefit, Alaska Air sells some tickets and the resort gets some likely multi-day customers.

For reference here is the current offer page for Alyeska on the Alaska Air site: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/explore/ski/alyeska
Thanks for sharing this one! I’ll be going to Alaska in March and have always wanted to ski at Alyeska. We just spent some time in the Catskills of New York and wow … it was very icy there compared to the west coast.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
This program has always struck me as difficult to use -- given the day of arrival/departure requirement -- and based on the generally declining number of resorts in this program I have to think that if the resort doesn't NEED more marketing help then this is an easy one to get out of. But then yesterday a buddy texted me that they flew PDX-GEG on an early flight, drove up to Schweitzer and were skiing for free that afternoon in dumping snow so -- clearly it's useful for some people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.