Mainline 737s Coming to PAE!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Mainline 737s Coming to PAE!

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/a...e-field-fleet/

In the next two months, Alaska Airlines will begin flying bigger jets on two of its 12 routes out of Paine Field.Beginning Feb. 17, Alaska will add Boeing 737 aircraft to serve Phoenix, followed by 737 service to Las Vegas that starts March 18.
also:

Neither the Federal Aviation Administration nor the airport owner can dictate what type of aircraft a commercial airline employs at an airfield. As long as the aircraft can safely operate at the facility, airplane choice is up to the commercial carrier. Public use airports such as Paine Field cannot deny access to an aircraft operator if they can safely operate at the facility, according to FAA regulations.
skyblue likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:17 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Yet still no service to/from Alaska from Paine 🤨

DUT
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DUT
Yet still no service to/from Alaska from Paine 🤨

DUT
How much O/D traffic is on the route v. connecting traffic on the SEA end? If et least not-insubstantial minority of each flight is connecting, it doesn't make much sense for the route (as it would have to be quite limited in frequency).
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How much O/D traffic is on the route v. connecting traffic on the SEA end? If et least not-insubstantial minority of each flight is connecting, it doesn't make much sense for the route (as it would have to be quite limited in frequency).
I am sure they could fill up a E75 on PAE-ANC in summer. Seattle is the biggest O&D market from ANC by a long shot. If PAE wasn’t slot restricted I bet it would have happened by now. As is they seemed to be focused on sun destinations and regional connectivity from PAE.
be_rettSEA and DUT like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:34 pm

Has PAE winter operations improved? Last time we hit a snow storm and SEA was operating decently but AS melted down at PAE because of lack of de-icing trucks and snowplows. This was precovid so hopefully operations have improved in the years since. Otherwise I'll keep avoiding anything but warm weather PAE flying.
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by olouie
Has PAE winter operations improved? Last time we hit a snow storm and SEA was operating decently but AS melted down at PAE because of lack of de-icing trucks and snowplows. This was precovid so hopefully operations have improved in the years since. Otherwise I'll keep avoiding anything but warm weather PAE flying.

and this is radically different from SEA how?
985X, be_rettSEA and Tack like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

and this is radically different from SEA how?
Well during same storm AS was operating 80%+ from SEA with some delays. AS from PAE it was right around 0%. So very different IMHO. In fact AS offered to let us change to SEA since they were doing fine there, but we had to pay our own way and no one would do the drive so it was a crappy night. PAE was pretty new and the airport basically said they didnt have much winter gear ready and what they had couldnt handle even the limited number of flights.

PAE is super nice for summer time, but with the limited schedule and distance from other carriers I guess its just avoid mostly in winter.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'll keep avoiding anything but warm weather PAE flying
Even then there can be reliability issues. For example I experienced a canceled flight last summer (to LAS) during a heat wave. Of course there can be canceled flights and IRROPS from any airport, but as a data point there were several SEA-LAS flights that day, none of which were canceled.

Having a 737 instead of a smaller plane might have helped in that situation? But I can't help but feel little bit of risk flying from PAE because if something goes wrong it's a long(er) slog vs. SEA to try to get an alternate flight.
olouie likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well during same storm AS was operating 80%+ from SEA with some delays. AS from PAE it was right around 0%. So very different IMHO. ... PAE was pretty new and ... the limited number of flights.
so by your own admission, not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison ... IMHO of course
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
so by your own admission, not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison ... IMHO of course
I mean PAE vs. SEA will never be apples to apples. Or any airport really haha. Thats why I was asking the question about PAE. Its decent enough but maybe not actually compelling to book over SEA unless its much cheaper for some reason or you live/work near PAE.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Even then there can be reliability issues. For example I experienced a canceled flight last summer (to LAS) during a heat wave. Of course there can be canceled flights and IRROPS from any airport, but as a data point there were several SEA-LAS flights that day, none of which were canceled.

Having a 737 instead of a smaller plane might have helped in that situation? But I can't help but feel little bit of risk flying from PAE because if something goes wrong it's a long(er) slog vs. SEA to try to get an alternate flight.
Kind of strange that a summer flight to LAS would get cancelled due to heat. LAS has to be much hotter than PWN in the summer. Was it aircraft or airport issues?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Kind of strange that a summer flight to LAS would get cancelled due to heat. LAS has to be much hotter than PWN in the summer. Was it aircraft or airport issues?
It was the heat in LAS that canceled those flights.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:21 pm

PAE kept operating during the last snowstorm while SEA fell apart.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Not only are PHX and LAS both getting 737s, but they’re both on -900s, and and each is keeping a 2nd (QX) daily departure. And the fares aren’t super cheap either. Clearly those markets are working
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Chugach
I am sure they could fill up a E75 on PAE-ANC in summer. Seattle is the biggest O&D market from ANC by a long shot. If PAE wasn’t slot restricted I bet it would have happened by now. As is they seemed to be focused on sun destinations and regional connectivity from PAE.
I've no doubt AS has enough passenger load to fill up at least a couple of planes on the route. But without frequency for the O/D, the high value flyers aren't going to take a 1x/day flight. Also, what cargo / checked luggage restrictions would be necessary on the E75? I'd expect that when much of the plane shows up with 2 x 50' bags, the weight and balance police are going to be out. (I am not familiar with the specs of the aircraft, but I'm sure someone here will educate us all )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.