Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

NC Woman intentionally flies to FAI with COVID double pneumonia, AS cancels return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NC Woman intentionally flies to FAI with COVID double pneumonia, AS cancels return

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
How many coughs, sneezes, nose-blowing, etc. have you heard on flights over the past 2 years?
This doesn't prove anything but fwiw the thing I found *really* remarkable on the flights I've been on is how *few* coughs and sneezes I heard. I actually remarked on it at one point how either everyone was consciously holding back from sneezing or the precautions were really having an effect on colds.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
if you had no symptoms. I cannot fathom defending this woman in any instance
no, that’s not how clauses work. “From a positive test if you had no symptoms.” Clearly says 10 days from
the start of symptoms. Nice try.

I’m defending her because she likely wasn’t infectious when she traveled. People are up in arms about someone FOLLOWING CDC GUIDELINES.
TheDudeAbides and bchandler02 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
no, that’s not how clauses work. “From a positive test if you had no symptoms.” Clearly says 10 days from
the start of symptoms. Nice try.

I’m defending her because she likely wasn’t infectious when she traveled. People are up in arms about someone FOLLOWING CDC GUIDELINES.
She self-proclaimed to have Covid-induced pneumonia actively while flying.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 21, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: Redact off-topic commentary.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

people have been traveling sick since the beginning of time - it's just the reality..
no airline would have banned anyone for flying with a flu in the past - this overreaction to covid (in its current endemic stage) is completely unnecessary.. a year ago when vaccines were unavailable masks limited and mutation far more dangerous - yes - but not now...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-60039138
we should really try to put this behind us...
LWkitty and tpsmith82 like this.

Last edited by azepine00; Jan 21, 2022 at 12:12 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by azepine00
… said none of the 2029 Americans who were added to the list of deaths today.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by azepine00
people have been traveling sick since the beginning of time - it's just the reality..
no airline would have banned anyone for flying with a flu in the past - this overreaction to covid (in its current endemic stage) is completely unnecessary.. a year ago when vaccines were unavailable masks limited and mutation far more dangerous - yes - but not now...

It's not the flu. It's almost killed a million Americans, something that would've taken the flu 20 years. It wasn't a good comparison when it started, it's not a good comparison now. Omicron isn't the final variant. The next mutation isn't guaranteed to be less severe.

It is not time to put it behind us. I'm not saying we gotta shut down and go crazy... but some simple preventative measures can do a lot of good in preventing spread and mutation opportunities.

If someone is such a narcissistic jerk to violate this safety rule of flying, they're willing to violate any other safety rule to satisfy themselves. Like, I've heard that people steal life vests and years ago I thought "what kind of mentally unstable person would do that?!" - and now i just think, we're lucky more people don't.

If they don't want to follow the rules of the airlines and travel safety... take the bus.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
The entire immunocompromised community thats been hiding for the last 2 years would love to remind folks that their freedoms have been stripped away because folks can't follow some basic common sense rules and basic human decency. Its called being selfish. Especially if you know you have pneumonia which is highly contagious in itself. I'm only able to resume life now and go back to traveling because I won the Evusheld lottery.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
… said none of the 2029 Americans who were added to the list of deaths today.

somewhere between this number and zero you will stop seeing this as public emergency. No matter what the number is for you some will accept it sooner than you, some later.

I dont think people should be turning on each other because of that.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
In my view, our country is currently dealing with three epidemics: covid-19, anti-scientific denial, and extreme selfishness.

Covid-19 is obviously here to stay, and our best hope seems to be a three-prong strategy of (improved) vaccines, effective antivirals, and throwing quarters into fountains and making a wish that natural selection drives the virus to a milder state.

The delusion comes in both directions: I have argued, aggressively, with those who would keep schools closed "until the pandemic is over," or who insist on masking children in parks. But I have a lot more distain for those who've decided that the vaccine is poison, no one actually dies from covid-19, Fauci is in cahoots with the reptilians, etc.

But the selfishness is least forgivable (okay, the pandemic is the least forgivable, but a virus isn't sentient). This woman didn't fly to reach the Cleveland Clinic. She didn't even travel to be by a dying relative's bedside. She flew for vacation. And while she may no longer be contagious with covid-19, she acknowledges she has pneumonia, which (a) can be very contagious and (b) can be a different transmissible disease. Such as the flu, which, she indignantly points out, you're not prohibited from flying with.

Ma'am (and I say "ma'am" in reference to about 30% of the nation, of both genders equally): Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Being a selfish jerk is a fad that ought to go out of vogue.

Last edited by ezefllying; Jan 21, 2022 at 7:53 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
She is a selfish tourist. Shame on her.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm not understanding the problem. Pneumonia is NOT Covid.

She got Covid and isolated for 11 total days. That meets the CDC guidelines of 10 days from the onset of symptoms before travelling.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...n.html#isolate

The fact that she had Pneumonia is irrelevant.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Did she test negative before flying?
Because if not, she's disgustingly selfish and irresponsible, no matter what "compromised" (and I'm not using that in the medical sense) guidelines the CDC is currently pushing.

Also please stop proclaiming that covid is now endemic - it is simply not true. It may be in the near future, but just because the case numbers have flown through the roof does not make it so.

Anyway, all these posts are about to get killed.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AS/UA/DL
CDC Travel Guidelines

The CDC travel guidelines:

Do NOT travel if…
  • You are sick.
  • You tested positive for COVID-19 and haven’t ended isolation.
    • After you end isolation, avoid travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date of your positive test if you had no symptoms.
AS Flyer and Nurse Traveler like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:59 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

A thread that mentions COVID generates off-topic (or worse) posts. I have deleted one and edited a few more. Any more non-AS-related COVID commentary and this thread will close.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Getting back to the topic...

I feel like these no-fly lists are a slippery slope, particularly when communities that are only practically reachable by plane are involved. AS has been very quick to pull the trigger on outright bans lately. There was talk of sharing these lists amongst the airlines - if that was the case, this woman would presumably be marooned in Alaska until late spring/early summer when the Alaska highway thaws, or catch the ferry to BLI (is that even running anymore?). I guess her only option would be a charter a plane to the lower 48 and drive from SEA or similar. Depending on her financial situation, that could financially ruin her without any due process.

As someone who has a very common name, and who had someone masquerading as me on social media doing less than desirable things, I feel like the standard to end up on that list needs to be higher - e.g. the airline itself needs to witness the behavior at the time or otherwise have first hand evidence of some violation, or the government puts you on there for some reason related to security. Unauthenticated social media posts should not land you on the no fly list. "Facebook mobs" that read headlines and demand justice in situations like these shouldn't be the bar that airlines use to add someone to the no fly list.

To be clear, if this woman really did violate FAA regs regarding covid, let the feds go after her in court civilly or criminally. It feels wrong to me that AS can play judge/jury/executioner when they have a virtual monopoly on flights to a particular airport.
be_rettSEA and tpsmith82 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.