Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
  • Requirements:
    100K Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    or 140 Eligible segments flown on Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance and our Global Partners
    24 minimum number of flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
  • Airport benefits:
    Priority check-in and boarding
    Free checked bags: 3
    Preferred seating
    Express security line at select airports
    Standby and wait list for full flights
    Alaska Lounge membership discount
    Four Alaska Lounge day passes (max. 4 per year)
​​​​​​​
  • oneworld priority
    Emerald
More MVP Gold 100K benefits to come.
Print Wikipost

MVP Gold 100K Tier - Features and Benefits

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by dayone
There were 8 100Ks who boarded with F on my last flight.
How can one tell?
Old May 3, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If they are not in F does it really matter? It's not like they are poaching F bin space on the way back to premium (I hope).
Exacto. If they're not poaching bin space, it actually speeds up overall boarding.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If they are not in F does it really matter? It's not like they are poaching F bin space on the way back to premium (I hope).
They slow down (clog) the F boarding process.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If they're not poaching bin space, it actually speeds up overall boarding.
Not my experience.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
They slow down (clog) the F boarding process.

Not my experience.
If that's a concern then 100k's not in 1st class should go before 1st class then no slow down of boarding process. But really how much "clog" time are we talking about anyways. It's negligible.
Seattle123 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
If that's a concern then 100k's not in 1st class should go before 1st class then no slow down of boarding process.
My "concern," apparently not widely shared, is the ensuring the priority and premium experience of F passengers.

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
But really how much "clog" time are we talking about anyways. It's negligible.
Not "negligible," on an A321 when 28 people board when F is called. Again, I have silly, quaint view that F is special, more special than 100K.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by dayone; May 3, 2022 at 10:28 pm Reason: Typo.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
My "concern," apparently not widely shared, is the ensuring the priority and premium experience of F passengers.

Not "negligible," on an A321 when 28 people board when F is called. Again, I have silly, quaint view that F is special, more special that 100K.
I have not seen any boarding at SEA approximate a premium experience regardless of how they treat 100Ks. Also true of outstations. If AS really wants to treat F boarding as special there is a whole lot more that AS will need to do.

Given how AS treats F boarding at present, there is no meaningful degradation to add 100Ks to F boarding, whether it's adding 1 to 12F or 8 to 16F. It's not a material change to boarding, after extra time, military, families with children

If you want to make F special, lots of changes are needed. If you want to make 100K special, put them with F and hardly anyone will notice.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I have silly, quaint view that F is special, more special that 100K.
Who should AS value more, someone who flew 160K miles during the height of the pandemic, or someone who upgraded for $150? Oh wait, the chocolate bar! That proves it!
olouie and Seattle123 like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not "negligible," on an A321 when 28 people board when F is called. Again, I have silly, quaint view that F is special, more special that 100K.
So, where do they board non-AS OWE?

On other OW airlines (even those with "real", 3-cabin F, like JL, CX, and BA trans-ocean) I've been in F with no status (this was before AS joined OW and before I had AA status) and OWE always boarded before me (and the Asian airlines actually enforce it). I honestly never cared.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 4, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Boarding order isn't much of an interest to me for a 100K benefit. In my order of preferences, it's way down there with my lack of interest in special luggage tags.

Without any snack or drink service during boarding, the only thing remaining that motivates me to board early is bin space.
If I board before the bin space is jammed, I am fine no matter what that group is called.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:37 am
vji

It's probably been discussed before, but anyone think between a choice of 100k and 75k that 75k is a much better deal? To me 100k seems like a bit more RDM and a bit higher upgrade priority, and that's it. Especially since you have to fly 12 more segments (double that of 75k) to get there.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by vji
It's probably been discussed before, but anyone think between a choice of 100k and 75k that 75k is a much better deal? To me 100k seems like a bit more RDM and a bit higher upgrade priority, and that's it. Especially since you have to fly 12 more segments (double that of 75k) to get there.
This might change with new benefits supposedly/hopefully announced for 2023, but at the moment I'm thinking of 100k more like 75k+. I don't think I'd mileage run to get it, but since I achieve close to that many EQM anyway (and the 24 AS-metal-segments is a breeze for a weekly commuter, I'll always have those done in the first half of the year), the incremental priority over 75k is really nice, especially on flights booked closer-in. Like a lot of elites, once I hit top-tier, I'm more likely to sniff around for good deals in First or Premium-equivalent on other carriers (assuming its the kind of trip where I have that option). 100k will keep me from doing that for another 25k miles. Seems to me like influencing decisions like that is exactly the point of the whole program.

But yeah, if you're aiming for a "sweet spot" as a FT mileage runner type, then AS 100k is probably overshooting.
QT31415 and hyedmd like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by vji
I have to think (or at least hope) the higher-ups at AS watch forums like this or do some other research and have caught word that 100Kers aren't exactly blown away with the new tier. I'm hoping they add to 100K rather than take away from others but we'll see. As for 75K v. 100K I totally agree that currently 75K is a far better "value". Once I get my 50K bonus miles and can nominate a free-loading family member to MVP I don't really have much else to strive for. The upgrades I'm seeing as 100K are statistically nearly identical to what I had as a 75K previously and all the bags of popcorn mean zero to me (despite AS holding them in pretty high regard, apparently).
QT31415 and Xrayman like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by CalanMan
This might change with new benefits supposedly/hopefully announced for 2023, but at the moment I'm thinking of 100k more like 75k+. I don't think I'd mileage run to get it, but since I achieve close to that many EQM anyway (and the 24 AS-metal-segments is a breeze for a weekly commuter, I'll always have those done in the first half of the year), the incremental priority over 75k is really nice, especially on flights booked closer-in. Like a lot of elites, once I hit top-tier, I'm more likely to sniff around for good deals in First or Premium-equivalent on other carriers (assuming its the kind of trip where I have that option). 100k will keep me from doing that for another 25k miles. Seems to me like influencing decisions like that is exactly the point of the whole program.

But yeah, if you're aiming for a "sweet spot" as a FT mileage runner type, then AS 100k is probably overshooting.
I'd also expect many fewer elites in 2023, so the 75k tier should be even more valuable than in 2022.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan
the incremental priority over 75k is really nice, especially on flights booked closer-in.
This is so true.... I do book a lot of last-minute-ish flights and it's nice as a 100K to leapfrog the 75Kers that booked their Hawaiian vacation (my route is west coast to Hawaii) 7 months ago.
CalanMan likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by mtofell
As for 75K v. 100K I totally agree that currently 75K is a far better "value". Once I get my 50K bonus miles and can nominate a free-loading family member to MVP I don't really have much else to strive for. The upgrades I'm seeing as 100K are statistically nearly identical to what I had as a 75K previously and all the bags of popcorn mean zero to me (despite AS holding them in pretty high regard, apparently).
Absolutely agree. We fly the miles anyway - it's not something I'd "work" for, as it initially did more harm than good. It's improving though, the FA's seem to be more into it, I think mainly because they know they are dealing with an experienced traveller who was loyal all through the pandemic. Am all in favor of AS adding a second MVP nomination and an extra 25K bonus onto the 100K status however!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.