Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duct Tape Delay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Duct Tape Delay

On a (very) recent flight from DAL to SFO, a Y passenger tried to fit a bag that was too large in the overhead bin and managed to break the locking mechanism. So, we were all forced to wait while a mechanic drove in from DFW with -- wait for it -- DUCT TAPE to secure the broken bin. It took Bob the DFW Skywest mechanic less than 60 seconds to complete the "repair" which consisted of taping the bin shut, followed by mountains of paperwork. You truly cannot make this stuff up!

The flight attendant doled out snacks in F, but naturally this being AS/Skywest, he did not bother with pre-departure beverages in spite of the over one hour delay.

One more of these DAL trips and I'm probably done with AS... not to say that AA is great, but they are at least resource deep at DFW. The convenience of a much shorter drive to Love over DFW has not proven worthwhile for all the many shortcomings I've endured with this airline.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by AADFW
On a (very) recent flight from DAL to SFO, a Y passenger tried to fit a bag that was too large in the overhead bin and managed to break the locking mechanism. So, we were all forced to wait while a mechanic drove in from DFW with -- wait for it -- DUCT TAPE to secure the broken bin. It took Bob the DFW Skywest mechanic less than 60 seconds to complete the "repair" which consisted of taping the bin shut, followed by mountains of paperwork. You truly cannot make this stuff up!

The flight attendant doled out snacks in F, but naturally this being AS/Skywest, he did not bother with pre-departure beverages in spite of the over one hour delay.

One more of these DAL trips and I'm probably done with AS... not to say that AA is great, but they are at least resource deep at DFW. The convenience of a much shorter drive to Love over DFW has not proven worthwhile for all the many shortcomings I've endured with this airline.
to be fair this is a contract route flown by Skywest on I think smaller 2x2 aircraft and its something the PAX brome…not a typical maintenance item.

your story does remind me of an incident last year…I flew on AA flight out of DCA. An aircraft had a bad landing and blew tires. It caused a delay to evacuate the plane, tow the plane, then clean. When they went to clean the airport didn’t have the equipment so they had to request something from off airport.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
At least it was not a mainline plane as you would have had to wait for the duct tape to be flown in from SEA...LOL
pitflyer, LedgeT, milski and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
At least it was not a mainline plane as you would have had to wait for the duct tape to be flown in from SEA...LOL
This made me LOL and provided some much needed comic relief. Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:13 pm

You know this is special aviation rated duct tape

Not entirely facetious, it could be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape which "has an appearance similar to duct tape, for which it is sometimes mistaken"
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zkzkz
You know this is special aviation rated duct tape

Not entirely facetious, it could be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape which "has an appearance similar to duct tape, for which it is sometimes mistaken"
Speed tape is in general not for use inside the plane. It's a special product that stands up to wind and the elements. It's super sticky, and doesn't chemically degrade the underlying components. In addition, it is used mostly for aerodynamics only. It does not hold significant weight. It holds aerodynamic pieces in place to eliminate/prevent drag that could cause parts to separate from the plane while in flight. Using speed tape to hold together a luggage bin would be overkill, and a very expensive alternative to plain old duct tape.

Taping and placarding a bin as inoperable is part of following the Minimum Equipment List (MEL) rules to enable departure. For every plane type in their fleet, an airline has an MEL that allows it to operate when selected parts/devices is inoperable. The plane can safely operate with an inoperative bin, but with restrictions such as nothing being stored in that bin.
ashill, GW McLintock and AS737 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:25 pm

AADFW what happened to the passenger guilty of breaking the bin?
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
AADFW what happened to the passenger guilty of breaking the bin?
As far as I could tell, nothing at all. Certainly nobody was made to deplane.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I had an hour-long delay at PHL a few years ago waiting for the contracted mechanic (from Delta) to drive over to label a lav as INOP (can't remember whether it was duct tape or masking tape he used). Flight crew apparently aren't allowed to label the lav inop. I got the impression that Delta was very not eager to help Alaska out. I think this was a flight in which we had taxied to the runway and then went back to the gate to "fix" this issue.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I've had the duct tape bin fix on AA before. Was at LAX and while the mechanic response time was shorter, the paperwork took just as long.
AADFW likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So… hypothetically, if a passenger had had a roll of duct tape in their carry on, could the FA have secured the bin with it? Or does it require special AS/Skywest tape applied by a certified mechanic?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So… hypothetically, if a passenger had had a roll of duct tape in their carry on, could the FA have secured the bin with it? Or does it require special AS/Skywest tape applied by a certified mechanic?
The FA told me that AS was having difficulty with Maintainence contracting at DAL hence the need to have the “official” maintenance person drive in from DFW.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
someone with current experience in operations and maintenance can confirm, but to the best of my recollection a certified mechanic has to perform the repair, and a certified inspector has to sign off for verification before the captain can accept the aircraft for flight
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Speed tape is in general not for use inside the plane. It's a special product that stands up to wind and the elements. It's super sticky, and doesn't chemically degrade the underlying components. In addition, it is used mostly for aerodynamics only. It does not hold significant weight. It holds aerodynamic pieces in place to eliminate/prevent drag that could cause parts to separate from the plane while in flight.
For some reason with this knowledge I think I'm going to worry more while flying in the future.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think/imagine one has to have mechanic knowledge of the documentation procedures so that the right people (eg maintenance wherever the airplane is next overnighting) know to properly fix it more than needing special knowledge of how to apply duct tape (since an unsecured bin is a real safety hazard).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.