Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS3482 AUS-SFO cancelled due to pilot with COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott

Left home and everything was fine. Got to the airport 40 minutes later and my flight was canceled - pilot tested positive for COVID.

Got reaccomodated on an SJC flight (which worked out okay since I’d have preferred to fly to SJC anyway as it’s closer to where I need to be). Trying to figure out if I can get my return changed as well now - I canceled my rental car because I didn’t need to drive from SFO down south.

What irks me is the poor gate management. I was originally upgraded at T-120, and while I got Premium on this flight, the flight left with empty F seats even after asking at the gate to be re-added to the list and having the flight delayed to add more passengers willing to go to SJC
instead.

A minor inconvenience, but something they should be ready to handle.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Alaska Listens?

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
... What irks me is the poor gate management. I was originally upgraded at T-120, and while I got Premium on this flight, the flight left with empty F seats even after asking at the gate to be re-added to the list and having the flight delayed to add more passengers willing to go to SJC
instead.

A minor inconvenience, but something they should be ready to handle.
I think I'm gonna start taking names at the gate. This is perhaps understandable this week, but still inexcusable. Compensation and training.
Mahogany likes this.

Last edited by PlowJockey; Jan 11, 2022 at 1:14 am Reason: Quoted too much
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Surprised that they give out health information of crew members to passengers who never got near the pilot.
olouie and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Surprised that they give out health information of crew members to passengers who never got near the pilot.
Gate agents and staff make up information all the time. Got delayed due to maintenance issue and gate agent said that the crew got food poisoning - not sure how the GA would even know that. But pilot later came on and apologized for the maintenance delay.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Its amazing what comes out of the mouths of frustrated agents having to rebook entire flights canceled an hour and a half before departure. Often time frustration is the harbinger of truth slipping out past customer relations training.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
And that the pilot only got his test results an hour before the flight was scheduled to leave, which would mean he was probably already at the airport, and there was no reserve they could call. Not a very creative GA.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Gate agents and staff make up information all the time. Got delayed due to maintenance issue and gate agent said that the crew got food poisoning - not sure how the GA would even know that. But pilot later came on and apologized for the maintenance delay.
You sure it was the GA who was the one making things up? I mean if I was stuck on the pot and it held up the flight Id quickly extend my sincerest apologies about the “maintenance delay” to everyone the second I walked on too.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
You sure it was the GA who was the one making things up? I mean if I was stuck on the pot and it held up the flight Id quickly extend my sincerest apologies about the “maintenance delay” to everyone the second I walked on too.
Crew had no idea about that what GA was saying since they were already on board, but was chatting with them and they were all there and scheduled on the flight - were just waiting for maintenance to fix an issue with a cockpit light. Ending up taking around an hour - pretty typical delay really. Crew was super friendly on board too and I feel bad for them that they don't get paid for the hour of just waiting for the fix and doors to close (IIRC thats how the union contracts work).
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Jan 11, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by olouie
I mean, do you think the pilot is going to get on and say they were late because he was trying not to crap his pants?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.