Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

In-Flight Service Reductions for January 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight Service Reductions for January 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:47 am

Oh, and I share their concerns over Covid. In the spirit of minimizing risk, let’s block the middle seats again in Prem Econ. And, no service, nix the elite tax. Tit-for-tat.
Carfield, olouie and anteater like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K
I flew a 6-hour west coast to Hawaii flight yesterday and honestly think I like the reduced beverage service better. Keeps the cart out of the isle and it's really no problem to just grab a drink while I'm back at the bathroom anyway.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mtofell
I flew a 6-hour west coast to Hawaii flight yesterday and honestly think I like the reduced beverage service better. Keeps the cart out of the isle and it's really no problem to just grab a drink while I'm back at the bathroom anyway.
I take it there's no self-service in the back, as maybe not everyone can handle pouring and swiftly leaving?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
That will definitely keep the hoi polloi including the infirm in the first few rows of coach from sullying the FC lav because there are no carts in the aisle.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lalala
That will definitely keep the hoi polloi including the infirm in the first few rows of coach from sullying the FC lav because there are no carts in the aisle.
That is somewhat sarcastic. I was told to not use the fc lav on my last flight of 2021 because the captain mandated it. I have never heard such a thing.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I take it there's no self-service in the back, as maybe not everyone can handle pouring and swiftly leaving?
Service reduction or not, I'm not keen on other passengers taking anything more than single serving take away containers or packages of anything. One thing I appreciate these days (in many settings) is an attendant giving me what I want, even at a buffay setting, so a myriad of people that just had fingers in their mouths, noses, or worse, aren't touching the serving utensils. So, a setup with B6 sized take away items would be lovely. A set up with open cans and bottles for self pour, not so lovely.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once the plane is in the air, the cart is entirely off the isle. So long as the crew and company policy encourage, or at least permit, on demand "go to the galley for service" beverage service, this is not a big deal. Now, whether severe turbulence (the AS term, otherwise defined as Occasional Light Chop in more professional terms) keeps the seatbelt sign on for 98% of a flight, that's another story.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Once the plane is in the air, the cart is entirely off the isle. So long as the crew and company policy encourage, or at least permit, on demand "go to the galley for service" beverage service, this is not a big deal. Now, whether severe turbulence (the AS term, otherwise defined as Occasional Light Chop in more professional terms) keeps the seatbelt sign on for 98% of a flight, that's another story.
Though if this goes on for long, I could see a situation where you have a decent line in the back of the plane with pax holding a drink for themself and companion trying to sneak by each other. Making the back of the plane all the more unpleasant (and maybe a little soggy.)
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I also see a massive removal of flights starting tomorrow through end of January....more specifically all zeroed out until they remove them this weekend. Hope the call centers have more staff to help.

KOA for example has SAN, SJC, PDX and SEA (x2) dailyish. All are gone except SEA starting Sunday.

Im on SJC KOA next Friday (21st) - my reservation shows OK - but zeroed out availability - same for my return on Monday 24th.

I see this across the AS network to Hawaii....not to mention TPA was another axe for a month.

All return in February....
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I also see a massive removal of flights starting tomorrow through end of January....more specifically all zeroed out until they remove them this weekend. Hope the call centers have more staff to help.

KOA for example has SAN, SJC, PDX and SEA (x2) dailyish. All are gone except SEA starting Sunday.

Im on SJC KOA next Friday (21st) - my reservation shows OK - but zeroed out availability - same for my return on Monday 24th.

I see this across the AS network to Hawaii....not to mention TPA was another axe for a month.

All return in February....
My HNL/SFO is all zeros. Under two weeks notice for all of this is brilliant.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:28 pm

This is the new AS way haha. Thanks for the heads up - looks like my flights are zeroed out too. Thanks AS for the heads up =p
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I called in yesterday - but said they couldnt do anything until its removed.

They need OAL lift for this. It was a quick weekend trip for diving - so perhaps they can put my on SFOKOA on UA.

Will they credit me the original routing so i can still get 5kish towards the elite requal promo?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:02 pm

your options are SAN, LAX or SEA for HNL at least.

LIH was largely unaffected due to only a PDX/SEA flights - SJC was axed a while ago anyhow.

OGG - nothing from bay area - SFO is gone till next month now. SAN and SEA only options - even PDX to OGG is gone.

i figure about 50%-60% of the capacity to hawaii was removed for the next 2-3 weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:03 pm

Inflight reduction - yes - cause there isnt anything in flight - all grounded!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by Tack
The AFA literally runs AS. Ben is the most feckless CEO they’ve had, and will prove that in the coming the years. Long before I retired, AS had a program to increase employee moral and elevate service standards called Flightpath. Every employee, from CEO on down had to attend. It was there that I saw how he’d pander to every FA gripe and request, above all other work groups. The AFA at AS has made themselves the most powerful work group on the property. Since COVID and it’s many variants will be with us forever, expect more power exerted by the AFA’ on what AS inflight service will look like. As the poster above said, that indeed flattens their competitive curve.
TBH I went to several of those and the flight attendants were always the only ones asking questions and by questions I mean bringing up petty bologna and then the leaders would pander to them just to get them ti shut up. We would go every year just looking forward to the drama show that the FAs put on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.