Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrades to First Class at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:33 pm

Semi-related question: was on a ERJ-175 flight on Horizon and Y was sold out, but F had quite a few seats open. I never saw paid upgrades offered during OLCI. At the airport, I noticed there were no elites on the u/g list via the app and the FIDS, but quite a few people were awaiting seat assignments in coach. It looks like most of the people "awaiting seats" ended seated up in F! Just wondering, does AS have an "op-up" protocol for how to handle these situations where Y is effectively oversold but F has availability and there are no elites not upgraded. I notice this most often on ERJ routes, probably because of the ratio of F/Y+/Y seats...
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd;[url=tel:34489943
34489943[/url]]Semi-related question: was on a ERJ-175 flight on Horizon and Y was sold out, but F had quite a few seats open. I never saw paid upgrades offered during OLCI. At the airport, I noticed there were no elites on the u/g list via the app and the FIDS, but quite a few people were awaiting seat assignments in coach. It looks like most of the people "awaiting seats" ended seated up in F! Just wondering, does AS have an "op-up" protocol for how to handle these situations where Y is effectively oversold but F has availability and there are no elites not upgraded. I notice this most often on ERJ routes, probably because of the ratio of F/Y+/Y seats...
It’s possible to be an elite exercising a same day change standby and show up on the awaiting seat list, and you’d clear into F if available.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Last week was on SAN-SJC E175 and also there were more F seats available than elites to be upgraded. At the gate there was an announcement offering a paid upgrade into F. No idea if anyone took it up.

BTW 4 seats in the back of F were blocked on the seatmap and remained empty, no idea why. Same 4 seats were blocked in the incoming flight (same plane). The flight went out with maybe 1 or 2 empty Y seats so there was no need to upgrade more pax to F.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by anteater
It’s possible to be an elite exercising a same day change standby and show up on the awaiting seat list, and you’d clear into F if available.
Also could be nonrevs.

They can clear into F.
anteater and navydevildoc like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by frankvb
Last week was on SAN-SJC E175 and also there were more F seats available than elites to be upgraded. At the gate there was an announcement offering a paid upgrade into F. No idea if anyone took it up.

BTW 4 seats in the back of F were blocked on the seatmap and remained empty, no idea why. Same 4 seats were blocked in the incoming flight (same plane). The flight went out with maybe 1 or 2 empty Y seats so there was no need to upgrade more pax to F.
If it was the same aircraft it makes me think there was an mx problem, but 4 seats failing at once seems a little extreme.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Also could be nonrevs.

They can clear into F.
Yeah, there was no one in the list with “dhd” but you’re right, I suppose they could still be non-revs.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I have bought up into F 4x this year as a non-status member. In each case the waitlists showed as vacant. The routes were SMF-SAN round trip and SMF-BOI round trip. I bought the upgrades at OLCI at T24 or close to it.

Now on to my question. I'm flying a oneway saver ticket with a connection in a couple of weeks and I have a reasonable suspicion that I could get an F upgrade offer on at least one of my two segments based on historical patterns. If I accept this offer, will I get the complimentary F baggage allowance on the ticket?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:41 am

Sfo to hnl had 4 passengers prior to boarding, no one on waitlist but was went out full. Unclear if they sold upgrades or filled it with saver passengers. Family of 4 was gushing about their lucky upgrades. Made me wonder if they always sell upgrades to fill the F cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by olouie
Sfo to hnl had 4 passengers prior to boarding, no one on waitlist but was went out full. Unclear if they sold upgrades or filled it with saver passengers. Family of 4 was gushing about their lucky upgrades. Made me wonder if they always sell upgrades to fill the F cabin.
Yes, they sell upgrades if they have empty seats and no one on the upgrade list.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have bought up into F 4x this year as a non-status member. In each case the waitlists showed as vacant. The routes were SMF-SAN round trip and SMF-BOI round trip. I bought the upgrades at OLCI at T24 or close to it.

Now on to my question. I'm flying a oneway saver ticket with a connection in a couple of weeks and I have a reasonable suspicion that I could get an F upgrade offer on at least one of my two segments based on historical patterns. If I accept this offer, will I get the complimentary F baggage allowance on the ticket?
If an upg is offered and cleared before luggage check, I suspect the answer is "yes".
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska
My family of 4 was upgraded to first SEA-LIH a couple of months ago. No idea why, all of the sudden we had seats in first. My husband and I have regular MVP status, but the kids have nothing.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: free agent
5K mileage ticket yesterday LAS-SFO - offered upgrade at OLCI for $27. No brainer. Kept the party going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.