Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Maximum boarding passes on mileage/segment run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

I apologize if this has been asked/answered but I tried searching and couldn't find information.

I am doing a segment run tomorrow SEA_PDX_SFO_LAX_SFO_SEA so that I have 24 segments flown in 2021. Cost was cheap, and it will give me a chance to check out the new SFO lounge. Anyway, I checked in and Alaska is only giving the first three boarding passes, even though I am inside 24 hours for all flight segments. Do they have a limit on the number of boarding passes that they can generate at check in? I assume that I can get all boarding passes at the airport.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by charlesinseattle
I apologize if this has been asked/answered but I tried searching and couldn't find information.

I am doing a segment run tomorrow SEA_PDX_SFO_LAX_SFO_SEA so that I have 24 segments flown in 2021. Cost was cheap, and it will give me a chance to check out the new SFO lounge. Anyway, I checked in and Alaska is only giving the first three boarding passes, even though I am inside 24 hours for all flight segments. Do they have a limit on the number of boarding passes that they can generate at check in? I assume that I can get all boarding passes at the airport.
It is giving you your outboard segments (to LAX). You should be able to check in separately for the “return” route (LAX-SFO-SEA) once you’re within 24 hours of the LAX departure.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Calculon, Thank you for your reply. I am within 24 hours of all flight segments. This is a same day segment run. Alaska app and website will only give me boarding passes for three of my five segments.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Calculon, Thank you for your reply. I am within 24 hours of all flight segments. This is a same day segment run. Alaska app and website will only give me boarding passes for three of my five segments.
Have you tried refreshing the itinerary and checking in again? Tried to check-in for the fourth segment?

As to your earlier question, there is a limit of 4 segments with connections, (<= 4hrs between each segment) beyond that OLCI is not possible (or at least wasn't possible, it has been a while since I was last in that situation) and can't be done at a kiosk. Only an agent can sort it out.

Are all your connections 4 hours or less or do you have a layover over 4 hours? In the first scenario you may need to see an agent or GA to get the remaining boarding passes issued.

James
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Flying For Fun, yes, I tried refreshing and doing the check in again, but got the same results: only three of the five boarding passes are available. All layovers are less than 4 hours so I will ask the agent to generate my last two boarding passes. I'm sure that five connections on the same day is a rare occurrence.

Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Maybe try the app? In my experience, same day runs that return to the starting city get broken up into two parts, and I’ve had to check in for the second part separately.

Worst case I’m sure they will give you what you need at the airport.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It probably has to do with where the Xs and Os are in the ticketing and fare construction (connections v stopovers). I once had an issue with far fewer segments than you.
Calculon likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd

I am doing a segment run tomorrow SEA_PDX_SFO_LAX_SFO_SEA so that I have 24 segments flown in 2021. Cost was cheap....
I am curious. How much was it? What fare class?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are all your connections 4 hours or less or do you have a layover over 4 hours? In the first scenario you may need to see an agent or GA to get the remaining boarding passes issued. James
This is correct. I had same experience on same day multiple segment runs, you will not receive later flight boarding passes until you fly the first ones. No matter what you try or who you ask, it won't happen.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Yes I just did this 3 times on different days on LAX-LAS- two round trips a day for three days. Day#1 and Day#2 , I could only get the boarding pass for my first flight. When I landed I immediately got my boarding passing for my next flight at the departing gate of my next flight. I asked at my first departure GA at LAX if they could print off the boarding pass for the next flight and they stated no I had to get it when I landed in my next city. My third day, I got #1 and #2 boarding passes from the app (a first), #3 I got printed before my third flight at the gate, the fourth boarding pass was bizarre- they issued me a bp and when I tried to board they couldn't board me. They had to call some special number and get it re-issued and it almost delayed the flight. I asked them what the issue was and they stated because I was doing two round trips in one day and the system wasn't happy about it- they stated there would be nothing I could do in the future to prevent this from happening.

Long story short, Alaska's check-in system really freaks out if you do multi-segment runs in one day. I was able to get upgrade to F in all but sometimes I was assigned a seat, sometimes I wasn't. Many flights I wasn't checked in until I had the boarding agent checked me in and print the pass. I don't think there's any way to fix it, I think the way the ticket is done, it just breaks some things.
UtilityGuy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Yes I just did this 3 times on different days on LAX-LAS- two round trips a day for three days. Day#1 and Day#2 , I could only get the boarding pass for my first flight. When I landed I immediately got my boarding passing for my next flight at the departing gate of my next flight. I asked at my first departure GA at LAX if they could print off the boarding pass for the next flight and they stated no I had to get it when I landed in my next city. My third day, I got #1 and #2 boarding passes from the app (a first), #3 I got printed before my third flight at the gate, the fourth boarding pass was bizarre- they issued me a bp and when I tried to board they couldn't board me. They had to call some special number and get it re-issued and it almost delayed the flight. I asked them what the issue was and they stated because I was doing two round trips in one day and the system wasn't happy about it- they stated there would be nothing I could do in the future to prevent this from happening.

Long story short, Alaska's check-in system really freaks out if you do multi-segment runs in one day. I was able to get upgrade to F in all but sometimes I was assigned a seat, sometimes I wasn't. Many flights I wasn't checked in until I had the boarding agent checked me in and print the pass. I don't think there's any way to fix it, I think the way the ticket is done, it just breaks some things.
This is exactly correct.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Six segments in one day

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
This is exactly correct.
this happened to me Saturday. I did SDC to get back earlier from GEG and then did standby for earlier flights on two remaining segments to PDX and back to SEA. The sixth segment blew up and they issued a new ticket at the gate under a new PNR - without my MP#. Took 20 minutes while everyone else boarded, but no matter- they ended up deboarding everyone due to ground stop from SEA ATC.

So now I have that last flight to claim, but whatever - the first five got me to 24 and 100,090. 😁
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

this has been around for years. Since you aren’t checking bags you could get around that if you broke it up snd did it on your phone.

in 3018 I did a trip to Alaska. My sister did a life long planned drive to Alaska over 6+ weeks. I met her in anchorage and flew out from fairbanks. My return trip was

FAI-ANC-SEA-PDX-LAX-IAD( redeye).

I had checked bags. In Portland I had to exit security and get bags and recheck thrm and get rechecked because of the same 3 flight limit. I had planned on a 3 hr layover in PDX because it would be around dinner time so I could do a sit down meal.

I booked this intentionally for miles purposes.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer

booking as separate RTs would seem to be an easy solution even though it would likely price out a bit higher (in total) due to cap on segment taxes/fees
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
booking as separate RTs would seem to be an easy solution even though it would likely price out a bit higher (in total) due to cap on segment taxes/fees
Having once experienced a day of severe IRROPS during a MR a long time ago, I'd much rather have a single ticket that ultimately gets me back home (or wherever my intended destination).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.