Wiki Posts
Search

CX award from Australia. Rule change?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 3:42 am
Original Poster

CX award from Australia. Rule change?

Hi all,

I have been trying to book CX business class award from Sydney to DEL/DXB/BKK via HKG.
I have spoken to three different AS agents but all of them said "to get to the destination beyond HKG(DEL/DXB/BKK), I need additional 30000miles on top of the 30000miles I spend on SYD-HKG sector. I used to get tickets with 30000miles ex-SYD to Asian destinations. Did they change the rules??
I have asked AS agents about the rule change but they all said that "I can't price the two segments with 30000miles (need 30000 x 2 miles)"
Does anyone know the change of the award booking rules ex-Australia??
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cdgbear
Hi all,

I have been trying to book CX business class award from Sydney to DEL/DXB/BKK via HKG.
I have spoken to three different AS agents but all of them said "to get to the destination beyond HKG(DEL/DXB/BKK), I need additional 30000miles on top of the 30000miles I spend on SYD-HKG sector. I used to get tickets with 30000miles ex-SYD to Asian destinations. Did they change the rules??
I have asked AS agents about the rule change but they all said that "I can't price the two segments with 30000miles (need 30000 x 2 miles)"
Does anyone know the change of the award booking rules ex-Australia??
All awards terminate in Hong Kong unless coming from or going to North America. NA-HGK & HKG-EU also requires two award bookings. There has not been a change of rules. If you look at the award charts you will see that starting in Australia and going to Asia, your only option on CX is to Hong Kong and only Hong Kong.

James
jerry a. laska and cdgbear like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 2, 2021 at 7:11 am
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
All awards terminate in Hong Kong unless coming from or going to North America. NA-HGK & HKG-EU also requires two award bookings. There has not been a change of rules. If you look at the award charts you will see that starting in Australia and going to Asia, your only option on CX is to Hong Kong and only Hong Kong.
Where in the rules does it say HKG is only destination? Not a transit to other areas of Asia on CX (DEL BKK, but not DXB as in Africa). (ignoring any CV19 restrictions)
The shaded map shows a lot more than HKG
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

cdgbear likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Where in the rules does it say HKG is only destination? Not a transit to other areas of Asia on CX (DEL BKK, but not DXB as in Africa). (ignoring any CV19 restrictions)
The shaded map shows a lot more than HKG
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Right above the column of different class of services will say "Australia to Hong Kong"
cdgbear and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anhuang19
Right above the column of different class of services will say "Australia to Hong Kong"
You beat me to it! Thanks. It does say "Australia to Hong Kong" not "Australia to Asia."

James
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Detailed in the Wiki for CX awards, this isn’t a change and has worked like this for a long time.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html

“The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".”
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

I was just checking the map on the CX award chart and I was wondering why it costs more miles!! I missed that " Australia to HKG" fine print!!
Yes, that CX award chart is quite misleading!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.