Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why no more So Cal flights out of Paine Field

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k

San Diego stopped already and John Wayne stops next month. I am wondering why because the flights have been pretty full and I don't want to fly out of SeaTac.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Costco Club
It’s a common misconception that a full flight means a profitable flight. It may be full, but is it full of $49 fares?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I bet I could fill up a 500 seat A380 with $1 fares. That would make it profitable, right? It’s not like it would EVER be unprofitable to sell something under cost which would attract people to buy it, amirite?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If they ever re-instate the Paine flights to PDX, I would consider it as a one time "fun" flight to a new airport, but with the SEA N lounge just down the road and a recently renewed lounge membership, having no lounge is a deal breaker.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
It’s a common misconception that a full flight means a profitable flight. It may be full, but is it full of $49 fares?
I don't know the answer to your question but I fly every week and the fare is typically the same or higher than from SeaTac. Before covid there were two flights per day to San Diego for instance, the agent I spoke to said San Diego is now considered a seasonal destination. I would think flying from Everett to San Diego in winter would be a good thing. I haven't figured out yet what the new destinations from Paine Field are. Would be interesting to know. Maybe some destination with ski resorts?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If they ever re-instate the Paine flights to PDX, I would consider it as a one time "fun" flight to a new airport, but with the SEA N lounge just down the road and a recently renewed lounge membership, having no lounge is a deal breaker.
I did this a few times back when they had it operating. PAE is a great airport to hang out in, grab a bite to eat and a drink and watch some planes. When the Museum of Flight Restoration Center, that was a cool place to walk to. You are right though that the N lounge does definitely kill a lot of the appeal in a trip like that.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I did this a few times back when they had it operating. PAE is a great airport to hang out in, grab a bite to eat and a drink and watch some planes. When the Museum of Flight Restoration Center, that was a cool place to walk to. You are right though that the N lounge does definitely kill a lot of the appeal in a trip like that.
It has a draw for folks in the north sound. For us, we live just east of Woodinville. It's slightly closer to PAE as compared to SEA but the more appealing thing is that route doesn't take you on 405 through Bellevue and Renton. That stretch is so awful and unpredictable traffic-wise that I'd pay a premium to fly out of PAE. An added bonus with PAE are the E175s, which when traveling as a couple, means no middle seat to deal with.

If they are targeting leisure travel thru PAE... then perhaps we see HNL or OGG show up there?
Ford Fairlane and SimonT007 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
It has a draw for folks in the north sound. For us, we live just east of Woodinville. It's slightly closer to PAE as compared to SEA but the more appealing thing is that route doesn't take you on 405 through Bellevue and Renton. That stretch is so awful and unpredictable traffic-wise that I'd pay a premium to fly out of PAE. An added bonus with PAE are the E175s, which when traveling as a couple, means no middle seat to deal with.

If they are targeting leisure travel thru PAE... then perhaps we see HNL or OGG show up there?
Except I don't think that E175s can fly to Hawaii.

Ie, it's one thing to target leisure flights, it's quite another to target far-away leisure flights.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except I don't think that E175s can fly to Hawaii.

Ie, it's one thing to target leisure flights, it's quite another to target far-away leisure flights.
You’re right about the E75s not having the range for Hawaii. On top of that, PAE is currently a Horizon-only station, so it wouldn’t just be a matter of choosing to fly an appropriate plane, they’d have to start up mainline ops there.

They could do that, but I haven’t heard any rumblings or rumors that it might happen.

I’ve flown HNL-PDX-PAE a couple of times. Love the little airport and being able to avoid driving through downtown Seattle to get to it.
SimonT007 and sdsearch like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
has to do with planes, crews, etc. balanced with profits and what the profit is that can be earned elsewhere.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Update on PAE

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/a...ts-in-everett/
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Saw that article via another site known for plane pics

Nice summary. I've got friends that live 10 minutes from PAE, and found it quite convenient, despite an extra connection being required often.

Heck, I'd route ANC-PDX-PAE, almost got stuck in PDX doing this due to wx in winter
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Herald article

Thanks for sharing the article. What exactly does Alaska mean by Peak Day? Monday thru Friday?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimonT007
Thanks for sharing the article. What exactly does Alaska mean by Peak Day? Monday thru Friday?
Peak days are Sun, Mon, Thu, and Fri. Tue, Wed, and Sat see significantly reduced schedules where they do not operate all 12 flights. These are typically the weakest days for travel demand (and airlines will often have cheaper fares available for travel on these specific days). Saturday can see significant demand for leisure centric destinations like LAS, but is a weak business travel demand day.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 19, 2021 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.