Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Sorry to bump this, but presumably AS would through check to BA doing something like SEA-YVR (AS), YVR-LHR (BA) on separate tickets?
Originally Posted by N1120A
I've looked at Alaska's baggage policy page and it appears they will through check on separate tickets where they have interline baggage agreements, but it isn't clear as to which carriers this applies to

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ggage/overview

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Yes, they interline to BA. Wouldn’t be very friendly or practical to be in OW and not actually interline to a OW airline.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yes, they interline to BA. Wouldn’t be very friendly or practical to be in OW and not actually interline to a OW airline.
While AS will check through on separate tickets, other OW carriers such as BA and AA will not, even if it were to their own flights.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That's awesome, thanks. Unfortunately BA are rubbish and wouldn't do it the other way hence the question!
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Sorry to bump this, but presumably AS would through check to BA doing something like SEA-YVR (AS), YVR-LHR (BA) on separate tickets?
As the bags will cross the international border would Canadian customs be interested? Canada immigration issues?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As the bags will cross the international border would Canadian customs be interested? Canada immigration issues?
US-Int'l is usually through checked. I believe the sterile transfer route has been reopened for some time, so connecting pax shouldn't have to go through CBSA. Just a cursory BP and passport check at a desk and they're funneled through security.

Whether the AS ground staff at SEA have the same knowledge is another matter.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Am thinking of booking

AS DCA-LAX

to connect to a separate itinerary of

BA codeshare on AA metal LAX-LHR
BA LHR-DUB

Minimum connect time at LAX is exceeded.

Does anyone foresee a problem getting AS to check a bag through (I'd be in paid J on both tickets, if that matters)? Is there any wisdom in changing to BA prime for the LAX-LHR, which is an option right now due to schedule change?

(Yes, I know it's a weird itinerary. This is FlyerTalk, after all.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Am thinking of booking

AS DCA-LAX

to connect to a separate itinerary of

BA codeshare on AA metal LAX-LHR
BA LHR-DUB

Minimum connect time at LAX is exceeded.

Does anyone foresee a problem getting AS to check a bag through (I'd be in paid J on both tickets, if that matters)? Is there any wisdom in changing to BA prime for the LAX-LHR, which is an option right now due to schedule change?

(Yes, I know it's a weird itinerary. This is FlyerTalk, after all.)

Thanks in advance.
There shouldn't be any issue for AS to interline your bags and through check them to the BA flight; they would interline to BA as that is the flight number. I have experience doing through checking in LAX, even revenue to award. They will need your BA record locator. Your BA segments LAX-LHR-DUB should append to your DCA-LAX itinerary and will be visible in the APP.

I think you meant the AA prime flight number. BA wouldn't have a prime flight number on AA operated equipment.

As to the opportunity to change to the AA prime flight number, it does matter for the purposes of Mileage Plan earnings. I would refrain. BA flight numbers are always preferable. If BA preceeds the flight number, you will earn according to the BA charts. BA codeshare flight numbers on AA operated equipment fall within the ranges specified in the BA chart. For an I or R fare, you will earn 150% EQM, just as you would if it was an AA prime flight number with the same fare classes. However, with a BA flight number you earn an additional 100% RDM bonus that is absent on AA. BA 250% RDM + Elite bonus; up to 400%. AA 150% EQM, RDM 150% + Elite bonus; up to 300%.

For D, C & J fares, BA 250% EQM, RDM 350% + Elite Bonus; up to 500% while AA earns 200% EQM, RDM 200% + Elite Bonus; up to 350%.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 21, 2022 at 1:32 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There shouldn't be any issue for AS to interline your bags and through check them to the BA flight; they would interline to BA as that is the flight number. I have experience doing through checking in LAX, even revenue to award. They will need your BA record locator. Your BA segments LAX-LHR-DUB should append to your DCA-LAX itinerary and will be visible in the APP.

I think you meant the AA prime flight number. BA wouldn't have a prime flight number on AA operated equipment.

As to the opportunity to change to the AA prime flight number, it does matter for the purposes of Mileage Plan earnings. I would refrain. BA flight numbers are always preferable. If BA preceeds the flight number, you will earn according to the BA charts. BA codeshare flight numbers on AA operated equipment fall within the ranges specified in the BA chart. For an I or R fare, you will earn 150% EQM, just as you would if it was an AA prime flight number with the same fare classes. However, with a BA flight number you earn an additional 100% RDM bonus that is absent on AA. BA 250% RDM + Elite bonus; up to 400%. AA 150% EQM, RDM 150% + Elite bonus; up to 300%.

For D, C & J fares, BA 250% EQM, RDM 350% + Elite Bonus; up to 500% while AA earns 200% EQM, RDM 200% + Elite Bonus; up to 350%.

James
I'm glad to know that the baggage interlining sounds doable.

But no, I did mean precisely what I said: there is an opportunity to change to a BA metal flight, as my original BA-coded AA metal LAX-LHR had a schedule change, and now a BA metal flight is the closest time to what I originally purchased. Another reason to switch would be that AA just announced all their flights at LHR will once again be in T3, and of course the BA LHR-DUB will leave from T5. But I'm still considering staying on the AA metal because of the better J seat (I find the AA 77W J seat is preferable even to the Club Suite for sleeping due to footwell issues, and there's no guarantee BA won't swap in a plane with dorm J.).

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I'm glad to know that the baggage interlining sounds doable.

But no, I did mean precisely what I said: there is an opportunity to change to a BA metal flight, as my original BA-coded AA metal LAX-LHR had a schedule change, and now a BA metal flight is the closest time to what I originally purchased. Another reason to switch would be that AA just announced all their flights at LHR will once again be in T3, and of course the BA LHR-DUB will leave from T5. But I'm still considering staying on the AA metal because of the better J seat (I find the AA 77W J seat is preferable even to the Club Suite for sleeping due to footwell issues, and there's no guarantee BA won't swap in a plane with dorm J.).

Thanks!
Which ever you choose, good to hear you have a BA number, whether prime or codeshare for MP earnings. Either should be fine for interlining baggage. I have also interlined AS to AS & AS to an AA award where the first segment was on AS connecting to two QR flights. LAX should be well versed, they deal with more often. AA won't even interline to themselves on seperate tickets.

If BA books you into a higher fare class, above R & I on their prime flight, the extra MP earnings may sway you. Unless, of course, you are already in a higher earning fare class.

James
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
AS => AA on separate PNRs is allowed; AA => AS is not.
What about AS to HA on separate PNRs?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Feb 2022 – I was not able to through check AS>HA or HA>AS. Had to reclaim in HNL and recheck each way.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:00 pm

AS to HA will work. Not sure about HA to AS. You will need to provide your HA ticket number or PNR to AS at check in.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Aliquot
AS to HA will work. Not sure about HA to AS. You will need to provide your HA ticket number or PNR to AS at check in.
Originally Posted by HawaiianAirlines.com
I have a connecting flight. Will my bags be checked through?
It depends on how your ticket was booked.
If your flights were booked under one ticket, your bags will be checked through to your final destination.
If your flights were booked under separate tickets, you will need to collect your bags and recheck them before your connecting flight.
Perhaps this is a YMMV situation or I got a bad First Class AS checkin agent in SFO but I wasn't able to interline in either direction earlier this year.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Perhaps this is a YMMV situation or I got a bad First Class AS checkin agent in SFO but I wasn't able to interline in either direction earlier this year.
Definitely got a bad agent. They have published policy here. I would have shown the policy and/or asked to speak to another agent or a supervisor (assuming that your connection was under 12 hr, which is a requirement in the policy)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:07 am

If I have a DFW-SEA (overnight 11.5 hours)-LAX on one ticket and a LAX-LHR-TLV (AA/BA) on a different ticket, will I have to get my bags in SEA or can I get them in TLV. Should I just change it to DFW-SEA-LAX(overnight 14 hours) then LAX-LHR-TLV? I rather stay the night in LAX than in SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.