Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Gold 50K Level Incoming?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:59 am
Original Poster

MVP Gold 50K Level Incoming?

If you go to the new lounge membership page, it shows tiers as: MVP, Gold 50k, Gold 75k and Gold 100k. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...nge/join-renew

It seems inevitable that Alaska would match other major and Oneworld airlines at the second tier, and 40k is probably too sweet of a deal when you include partner miles like they did this year.

When do you think the change is made official? End of year?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hope this doesn't mean MVP gets nudged up to 25k.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe end of January when 100K benefits go into effect?

I had thought they put low enough multipliers on cheap partner fare classes to not have to change the thresholds, but maybe they've reconsidered.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I hope this doesn't mean MVP gets nudged up to 25k.
Imagine it will be. I was surprised when they merged the partner/AS earnings into the same buckets that they kept the lower qualification thresholds vs the higher.. But maybe that was just a COVID measure, or AA is realizing more and more that their program can't compete with AS, and (like lounge pricing) they're pushing hard on their new alliance member to meet their lesser program where it is vs try to compete to keep their elites from jumping to AS.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Unfortunate but not surprising.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Unfortunate but not surprising.
Not for those of us that don't want the MVP baggage line, MVP phone line, etc. clogged with people that take a few flights a year.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by mtofell
Not for those of us that don't want the MVP baggage line, MVP phone line, etc. clogged with people that take a few flights a year.
I dunno, I've never had a problem as an MVPG under current qualification standards. I think FT skews a bit toward people with high partner EQMs, but 40K on AS metal is non-trivial and my guess is that's how most of us get there.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
If they only take a few flights a year then how can they be clogging the line?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Imagine it will be. I was surprised when they merged the partner/AS earnings into the same buckets that they kept the lower qualification thresholds vs the higher.. But maybe that was just a COVID measure, or AA is realizing more and more that their program can't compete with AS, and (like lounge pricing) they're pushing hard on their new alliance member to meet their lesser program where it is vs try to compete to keep their elites from jumping to AS.
I just checked and AA is 20k/40k for Gold/Platinum. But they of course have the revenue component. I guess 25k/50k is how Alaska would match that without adding a revenue component. Still unfortunate.

[edit] Apparently 20k/40k for AA is for 2021 and the normal levels are 25k/50k.

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Oct 1, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Yes
This comes up every so often. It’s not the one pax impacting everyone, it’s the probability that with so many additional vectors (pax) that if you’re traveling you are statistically likely to be impacted by them.

I think chrisl137 was going to do a detailed write up when time permits.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The sheer fact that there are so many of them.
chrisl137 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt

I guess they fixed it.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rubbernyc

I guess they fixed it.
I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like it's more likely that someone put the MVP Gold 50K bit in earlier than they were supposed to than that it was a typo.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
I guess they fixed it.
That was quick… It’s also not that crazy to think that they were alerted to it by this thread. It seems like a hard mistake to inadvertently make, so I’m assuming they just want to wait until 2022 to announce the change.
rubbernyc, anteater and aquanine like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That was quick… It’s also not that crazy to think that they were alerted to it by this thread. It seems like a hard mistake to inadvertently make, so I’m assuming they just want to wait until 2022 to announce the change.
Sadly, I think you are correct. But it actually makes sense to align the 20/40 to 25/50 and truly match up to AA and all others. As long as they remain mileage based, it's all good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.