Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS EWR flyers may now not scorn EWR (as much)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I will admit that I really hate flying into Newark. First because it’s not convenient to where I travel to New York and second, well, because it is Newark.

EDIT ugh, thanks to FT for removing the link to the news that Centurion Lounge coming to EWR. JFK has an Alaska Lounge but with them ending LAX <> JFK next month, many of us will start flying into EWR (of which I am not a fan).

Last edited by planyi; Sep 28, 2021 at 3:16 pm
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, uh… I don’t get why AS fliers might not scorn EWR as much.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:54 pm

The planned Cent lounge?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA is installing tablets at every seat in every terminal?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I don't know about now, but if there is a silver lining there are some things to look forward to with the construction of the new Terminal A (in addition to the proposed CL). Also, pax that want to fly nonstop from LAX to the NYC area will have to get to like it when they shift their JFK slots to their other hubs and focus cities. Finally, not sure if they are eligible or even want to try to go for the exWN "slots" that have recently been made available, but if they want to grow their presence in the area in the long term, this could be an opportunity to do so.

Last edited by HeyItsMK; Sep 26, 2021 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, uh… I don’t get why AS fliers might not scorn EWR as much.
Seriously...
planyi want to try again with some context?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

lounge hell to end at EWR?

For those of us who fly from Los Angeles to the New York City area, the loss of JFK <> LAX on Alaska is a big bummer. At least in the future, we will have a decent lounge to explore in Newark if we insist upon flying Alaska to/from LA and the New York City area. https://viewfromthewing.com/new-amer...ing-to-newark/
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:42 pm

Centurion lounge doesn't allow access on arrival anyway. Not sure how this would help?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shrug.

Looks like there's already an AC in Newark Terminal A. Not as fancy, but included with the AS lounge membership (depending on which one you get after Oct 1).
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
I guess I'm agnostic as I used to fly SFO to NYC once a month and would choose based on which flights had U space (much harder when they used to still fly A320 post VX merger) or had a lighter flight load, invariably this was EWR and taking the NJT into Penn wasn't terrible.

Last edited by RedPanda5; Sep 27, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by planyi
For those of us who fly from Los Angeles to the New York City area, the loss of JFK <> LAX on Alaska is a big bummer. At least in the future, we will have a decent lounge to explore in Newark if we insist upon flying Alaska to/from LA and the New York City area. https://viewfromthewing.com/new-amer...ing-to-newark/
AS is not moving into the new Terminal A(terminal one) as of now, so what's your point?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
AS lounge members, which is actually AS specific, already have access to the AC in terminal A. While not anything special, is open early enough for the 7am and 8am EWR-SEA flights. Something a CL is still not providing.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
AS is not moving into the new Terminal A(terminal one) as of now, so what's your point?
Exactly. Their current terminals at both EWR and JFK will be demolished. AA and B6 will be together in the new EWR terminal A. AS will get moved to one of the older terminals away from both the new Amex and AA lounges.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly. Their current terminals at both EWR and JFK will be demolished. AA and B6 will be together in the new EWR terminal A. AS will get moved to one of the older terminals away from both the new Amex and AA lounges.
Along with UA, AC and DL...

https://airlineweekly.com/2021/05/un...opens-in-2022/
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flew out of EWR last night (on UA). Confirmed yet again it is a horrible, dysfunctional pit with the consistently rudest staff in the country.
sea_jeff, LHG and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.