Wiki Posts
Search

Use of AA DCA Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Use of AA DCA Lounge

I make maps for a living, but for the life of me, I don't see how I can easily get to the AA Lounge at DCA after clearing security for my AS flight to SEA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
As a former ArcGIS user, I salute the username. Unfortunately, until DCA finishes up its project to consolidate security queues, utilising the AA lounge requires you to clear security at one of the AA piers and then re-clear for your AS flight.

If you're an Alaska Lounge member, you should have access to the United Club by gate 11--if it's open. The UA website now states that it's back open from 8:00am to 6:30pm daily, which should work for the evening flight to SEA but not for the morning flight.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:58 pm

You are one year too late! AA used to have an airside shuttle between B and C. However, when AA moved out of B and into the new terminal at the north end, it is my understanding that the AA bus shuttle runs from C to the new north terminal... (to make it confusing, this website refers to the old terminal C as "B/C").

https://www.dca-airport.com/terminal-b-c.php

Terminal B hosts flights of Alaska, Delta and United and boarding gates 10 to 22

Terminal B / C houses flights of American and JetBlue and gates 23 to 34.

Terminal C is home of American flights and houses gates 35 to 45.

The popular National Hall corresponds to the hall/corridor that connects the 3 concourses of Terminal B, C.

Note there’s an American Bus Transfer between Terminal B/C and Terminal C.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Thanks. We do have the evening flight. I'd read on the AS web site that the UA lounge was closed, so glad to hear it's reopened.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
… If you're an Alaska Lounge member, you should have access to the United Club by gate 11--if it's open. The UA website now states that it's back open from 8:00am to 6:30pm daily, which should work for the evening flight to SEA but not for the morning flight.
well, crap; I know it was closed in mid July when the inbound for DCA-SEA diverted to PHL and we wound up leaving ~2 hours late, and therefore didn’t bother checking last week (we got to the airport ~T-90, decided not to mess around with a second trip thru TSA, and wound up up paying ~$15 each for double g&ts at the little bar near B21/B22)
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage
There's an AC in both B and C at DCA. I found out the hard way this summer--took the bus over to C, went to lounge, asked how much lead time I should allow to get back to B, and was informed that there's also an AC in B. I think in both cases the elevator is immediately after security on the left. Not sure what the maps show, but it's very easy to walk right by and miss it.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Sooo... I have a flight in a couple weeks booked through Alaska arriving on AS 4 SEA-DCA and then connecting to AA 4042 DCA-CMH. This means I'll have to exit and re-enter security? AS is not alerting me to a terminal change at all in confirmation emails.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Sooo... I have a flight in a couple weeks booked through Alaska arriving on AS 4 SEA-DCA and then connecting to AA 4042 DCA-CMH. This means I'll have to exit and re-enter security? AS is not alerting me to a terminal change at all in confirmation emails.
In all likelihood, yes. But for those not familiar with DCA, because each of the piers have their own security checkpoint, the lines are some of the shortest I've encountered. When I used to live in DC, I could reliably go from my home to gate in ~20 mins. If you have precheck and clear, it's almost no wait. The longest part will probably be the 5-10 min walk from your AS gate to the C pier where AA will probably be departing from.
Mahogany and chrisny2 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
as be_rettSEA mentioned, AS will arrive at B16 or B18 which are in the pier at the north end of the main terminal; AA will depart from the high B gates in the center pier or the C gates in the north pier, and both have their own TSA checkpoints ... as for AS IT/communications not showing that there's a terminal change, I can't say I'm surprised
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Is the shuttle bus from B to C no longer running? It was running as of early August--haven't looked for it since then.

In any case, be_rettSEA is right--the DCA security lines usually move very, very quickly, especially with pre-check. My front-door-to-gate time is also in the 20 minute range, and that time includes a stop to print a boarding pass or check a bag.

It might actually be faster to exit and go back through security than to deal with the shuttle. So: longer than just strolling gate-to-gate on the same pier, but still probably faster than some same-terminal changes at larger airports like ORD or DFW.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rjflies
Is the shuttle bus from B to C no longer running? It was running as of early August--haven't looked for it since then.

In any case, be_rettSEA is right--the DCA security lines usually move very, very quickly, especially with pre-check. My front-door-to-gate time is also in the 20 minute range, and that time includes a stop to print a boarding pass or check a bag.

It might actually be faster to exit and go back through security than to deal with the shuttle. So: longer than just strolling gate-to-gate on the same pier, but still probably faster than some same-terminal changes at larger airports like ORD or DFW.
The only shuttle bus that is and has been running is from the middle pier (gates 23-34) to the west pier (gates 35-45). AS gates are 16 and 18 (the east pier).
Here's a map that shows most clearly the piers and the bus connection: https://www.flyreagan.com/travel-inf...n/terminal-map

The good news is that in a matter of weeks, the entirety of gates 10-59 will all be behind the new security corridor, making for security-free connections between the piers.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by chrisny2; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by chrisny2
The only shuttle bus that is and has been running is from the middle pier (gates 23-34) to the west pier (gates 35-45). AS gates are 16 and 18 (the east pier).
Here's a map that shows most clearly the piers and the bus connection: https://www.flyreagan.com/travel-inf...n/terminal-map

The good new is that in a matter of weeks, the entirety of gates 10-59 will all be behind the new security corridor, making for security-free connections between the piers.
Read too quickly—yes, both lounges will soon (maybe in the next month-ish?) be behind security for everyone, meaning you won’t have to go in and out of security to use either AA lounge when flying Alaska.

https://www.flyreagan.com/travel-inf...ty-checkpoints
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

late report from Sat 2 Oct — UA Club by B10/11 is open and accepting AS Lounge membership card for entry

it’s very small and had a very limited selection of snacks, but the bar looked to be well stocked … when I asked for a glass of one of the wines on display, the bartender said it was “in the Premium collection” or something like that (i.e., not complimentary); I said that was ok and he opened a chilled bottle

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.