Search

AA/B6 Codeshare - Alaska Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
AA/B6 Codeshare - Alaska Miles?

Hi all
I have searched and can't seem to find an answer. I note earning Miles/EQMs from AA on Alaska's mileageplan says earning is eligible from "Oneworld alliance carriers and their affiliates" -- so because of this line is where the confusion sets in.

Looking at AA.com at the codeshare flight in question SEA > JFK. It is AA Flight xxx "Operated by JetBlue". So the flight is on B6 metal.

Since Jetblue is an affiliate of AA and this is an AA codeshare, does this flight earn miles if an Alaska Mileageplan number is on the reservation? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wifiguru
I have searched and can't seem to find an answer. I note earning Miles/EQMs from AA on Alaska's mileageplan says earning is eligible from "Oneworld alliance carriers and their affiliates" -- so because of this line is where the confusion sets in.

Looking at AA.com at the codeshare flight in question SEA > JFK. It is AA Flight xxx "Operated by JetBlue". So the flight is on B6 metal.
Since Jetblue is an affiliate of AA and this is an AA codeshare, does this flight earn miles if an Alaska Mileageplan number is on the reservation? Anyone know?!
No. With OW(AA) marketed flights the operating carrier must be OW. So JetBlue is not an eligible flight. Jetblue is not an affiliate-ff partner of AS
Earning to ffp is based on the marketing carrier in Oneworld
Look at this post--->AS-AA Partnership - Benefits, Mileage Earn/Burn and Discussion (No oneworld, Please)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm Reason: added "Earning to ffp is based on the marketing carrier in Oneworld"
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by wifiguru
Hi all

Since Jetblue is an affiliate of AA and this is an AA codeshare, does this flight earn miles if an Alaska Mileageplan number is on the reservation? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Adding to Mwenenzi"s post, JetBlue is a non-Oneworld partner of AA but is not an AA affiliate airline. See:
https://www.oneworld.com/members/american-airlines
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No. With OW(AA) marketed flights the operating carrier must be OW. So JetBlue is not an eligible flight. Jetblue is not an affiliate-ff partner of AS

Look at this post--->AS-AA Partnership - Benefits, Mileage Earn/Burn and Discussion (No oneworld, Please)
I know it's not SUPPOSED to work, but I've been curious whether anyone's just tried it and seen what happened.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I know it's not SUPPOSED to work, but I've been curious whether anyone's just tried it and seen what happened.
AS has had all kinds of partners over the years that have non-AS partners, AB (partner with AA), LH (partner with CX), VA (partner with VX AND SQ) etc. Partnership relationships that credit frequent flyer miles are not magically transitive just because FTers desperately want it to be so; it didn’t work then, it won’t work now.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS has had all kinds of partners over the years that have non-AS partners, AB (partner with AA), LH (partner with CX), VA (partner with VX AND SQ) etc. Partnership relationships that credit frequent flyer miles are not magically transitive just because FTers desperately want it to be so; it didn’t work then, it won’t work now.
The "magical thinking" stuff there seems pretty unwarranted given what I asked. We all know there can be a gap between how things are supposed to work and how they actually work, and all I asked was whether we have any data points for this one, because to me it seemed possibly nonzero given the codesharing. ​​​I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no because nobody thinks it might even maybe work so they don't even bother trying, but I don't see how that's magical thinking to just wonder if anyone's tried it.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "magical thinking" stuff there seems pretty unwarranted given what I asked. We all know there can be a gap between how things are supposed to work and how they actually work, and all I asked was whether we have any data points for this one, because to me it seemed possibly nonzero given the codesharing. ​​​I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no because nobody thinks it might even maybe work so they don't even bother trying, but I don't see how that's magical thinking to just wonder if anyone's tried it.
I think there's not a lot of reason to try on a route like LAX-BOS because AA and B6 more or less alternate so that every other flight is one or the other, making it easy to get a flight that's a sure thing instead of a test of AS IT systems. The only reason to really try would be if you were flying a route where AA doesn't have flights or are stuck flying B6 for some other reason, like the prices on the available AA flights were 10x as much as on B6.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I think there's not a lot of reason to try on a route like LAX-BOS because AA and B6 more or less alternate so that every other flight is one or the other, making it easy to get a flight that's a sure thing instead of a test of AS IT systems. The only reason to really try would be if you were flying a route where AA doesn't have flights or are stuck flying B6 for some other reason, like the prices on the available AA flights were 10x as much as on B6.
My initial interest in this came from when I was looking at LAX-BOS and the AA price was like 3x the B6 price for the dates I was looking at, and then got rekindled when there was one flight that was AA metal but was only being sold by B6 (for the latter I think the flight just got removed from the schedule and B6 was slow to stop offering the flight for sale).
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My initial interest in this came from when I was looking at LAX-BOS and the AA price was like 3x the B6 price for the dates I was looking at, and then got rekindled when there was one flight that was AA metal but was only being sold by B6 (for the latter I think the flight just got removed from the schedule and B6 was slow to stop offering the flight for sale).
You might have to volunteer to be the test case
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Well, considering that AS usually would only provide mileage credit on codeshares based upon the airline metal operating the flight, "mileage follows the metal" (metal not an AS partner - no credit) was based upon lots of experiences posted in this forum over the years.
AS changes AA mileage plan credit page to exclude codeshares
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28799591-post1264.html

I would say your chances are slim and none; but as above, if you really want a firm answer for recent experiences for AA marketed, B6 operated, crediting to AS then you should just give a try.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 21, 2021 at 2:58 pm Reason: correct speling, gramar, and punctuation
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
.. and maybe a moot point altogether soon:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/ju...east-alliance/
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I agree with the justice department here.

AA shouldn't put for sale on AA.com , non-stop B6 flights, nor B6 put non-stop AA flights on Jetblue.com. The arguments of 58 new flights is non-sense when it is often realized by connecting itinerary/codeshares flights.

Similarly, why should AA.com show B6 non-stop flights SEA JFK, when AS also has several non-stop and none of it on AA.com. AA's non-stop? That is discontinued. Is sale of B6 flight preventing AA from returning the non-stop? Likely.

Jiburi
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
I agree with the justice department here.

AA shouldn't put for sale on AA.com , non-stop B6 flights, nor B6 put non-stop AA flights on Jetblue.com. The arguments of 58 new flights is non-sense when it is often realized by connecting itinerary/codeshares flights.

Similarly, why should AA.com show B6 non-stop flights SEA JFK, when AS also has several non-stop and none of it on AA.com. AA's non-stop? That is discontinued. Is sale of B6 flight preventing AA from returning the non-stop? Likely.

Jiburi
Interestingly if you note at the end of the article the same complaint that resulted in this DOJ action also complains about AA's partnership with AS (not AS joining oneworld, as far as I can tell). I wonder if that's coming next or if DOJ concluded that AA and AS aren't cooperating closely enough to warrant antitrust action.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly if you note at the end of the article the same complaint that resulted in this DOJ action also complains about AA's partnership with AS (not AS joining oneworld, as far as I can tell). I wonder if that's coming next or if DOJ concluded that AA and AS aren't cooperating closely enough to warrant antitrust action.
You could accuse AS and AA of cooperation without direct communication if you look at what happened to AS non-SEA based transcons during covid. They're practically gone, and AS is using AA to cover routes like LAX-BOS and most of the LAX/SFO-NYC travel, as well. I'm not sure if AA is taking advantage of the relationship to have AS cover west coast regional flights, but it wouldn't be a surprise. I'd rather walk between T4/5/6 at LAX than take a bus out to the eagle's nest. It seems a little unfair to be making the accusation while business travel is still vastly reduced and business travel patterns are in flux. If AS starts bringing back some routes that compete directly with the AA transcons as they get more planes and pilots on line, they might be able to avoid DOJ action.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Earning to ffp is based on the marketing carrier in Oneworld

Thanks for answering and not flaming! Makes sense, but I wanted to double check as the wording is somewhat distorted (as it mentions One world carriers and their affiliates in the mileageplan wording).

Hopefully B6 becomes a AS partner soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.