FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Extends Elite Status Through April 30, 2022 (Dec. 2022 for Canadians) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2052683-extends-elite-status-through-april-30-2022-dec-2022-canadians.html)

keitherson Sep 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Canadians get special status extension for 2022

Special :)

Andrew Harrison, CCO Fall update: Your elite status will extend into 2022

Hi, keitherson,

I will admit that fall is my favorite time of year. In the Pacific Northwest, the sun still comes out to greet us (well, most of the time), the air feels fresh in the mornings and the leaves start to change color. It’s a time when kids start a new school year and for many of us, we start to set 2022 goals for our businesses. Indeed, life has been very different and challenging for all of us, yet there are still many reasons to be optimistic about the future.

As it relates to future travel, we recognize that normal travel habits have been significantly disrupted by this pandemic and there have been very few opportunities for our Canadian elites, like you, to achieve elite status over the last year. The good news? We’ll extend your elite status to December 31, 2022. Look for that to be reflected by the end of the year.

In the meantime, there is a lot to look forward to in 2022 with Alaska’s Mileage Plan™ becoming even more rewarding:

NEW REDEMPTION OPTIONS: Now, as part of the oneworld® Alliance, we’ve unlocked a world of travel possibilities to 1,000+ worldwide destinations. Redeem Alaska miles for award travel on our newest redemption partner, Qatar Airways, and treat yourself to the best long-haul business class cabin in the sky: the Qsuite.

NEW SFO LOUNGE: At more than 9,000 square feet, our newest Alaska Lounge is centrally located in SFO’s Terminal 2. On top of all the signature amenities our guests love, new signature features include an SF-inspired sourdough cart, with savory spreads to snack on. Plus, the candy wall has two iconic confectionaries: Ghirardelli and Jelly Belly.

NEW ROUTES: With over 40 new routes, there’s a lot to look forward to, especially as we start flying to Belize in November.

UPGRADED FOOD: Fresh fare is back in the air. We’ve expanded our First Class and Main Cabin meals, snacks and drinks, offering the most comprehensive onboard food and beverage program of any U.S. airlines. Leverage our pre-order option to select meals and snacks before you fly, and store payment for convenient contact-less onboard purchases. We’re also offering a full selection of beverages available in all cabins and on most flights.

Most importantly, your safety and the safety of our employees always comes first, and we want you to feel great about booking a flight with us. We continue our commitment to Next-Level Care and maintaining the highest standard of safety throughout your travels.

Thank you for choosing to fly with us and being a member of the Alaska family.
Andrew Harrison Chief Commercial Officer
Alaska Airlines

samosa Sep 16, 2021 1:50 pm

AS Extends Elite Status Through April 30, 2022 (Dec. 2022 for Canadians)

Just received an e-mail

As it relates to future travel, we recognize that normal travel habits have been significantly disrupted by this pandemic and you may have concerns about not being able to enjoy the status you once had when your schedule begins to pick back up. We are committed to helping you get back to your status and are pleased to announce we are offering ‘boosts’ to help you get there.
• Our Fast Track to Status promotion has just been extended to the end of the year. Fly now through Decem.ber 31, 20.21 and earn 50% more elite-qualifying miles*. No registration necessary—so book and get a boost to your EQMs.
• Using your Alaska Airlines Visa® card, you will now earn up to 20,000 elite-qualifying miles. For every $2,500 you spend on purchases with your credit card, you will earn 2,500 elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) up to 20,000 EQMs**. Valid on purchases starting Septem.ber 16, through Novem.ber 15, 202.1.
• Finally, if circumstances are such that you have not been able to requalify for your status by year end, we will maintain your 202.0 status through April 30, 202.2. This will give you added opportunity at the start of next year to maintain your status by flying a minimum number of miles January through April. More information to come on that.

This seems like a good balance.

tomtaylor23 Sep 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Does the Alaska Business Credit Card Spend Count?

nickohrn Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm

I'm curious why some people have gotten the credit card language and some haven't. Friends of mine have it in their email and I don't even though everyone has the same Alaska Visa.

AndyKehn Sep 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23 (Post 33573357)
Does the Alaska Business Credit Card Spend Count?

Last year when they ran this promo Alaska business card spend counted and I got 2.5k eqm for my 5k spend

tomtaylor23 Sep 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn (Post 33573379)
Last year when they ran this promo Alaska business card spend counted and I got 5k eqm for my 5k spend

Thanks in the email I got, it didn't say anything about credit card spend, so just wondering If I qualify.

Finkface Sep 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by samosa (Post 33573343)
Just received an e-mail
…• Finally, if circumstances are such that you have not been able to requalify for your status by year end, we will maintain your 202.0 status through April 30, 202.2. This will give you added opportunity at the start of next year to maintain your status by flying a minimum number of miles January through April. More information to come on that.

This seems like a good balance.

Unless you are Canadian. Then your status is extended until Dec. 31, 2021. This annoys me. I flew a ton this year, all leisure, all my own dime, to earn status for next year and they just give it away to everyone. Why did I bother?

chrisl137 Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by nickohrn (Post 33573367)
I'm curious why some people have gotten the credit card language and some haven't. Friends of mine have it in their email and I don't even though everyone has the same Alaska Visa.

I didn't get the email until about 45 minutes ago.

sfozrhfco Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 33573425)
Why did I bother?

Only you can answer that😀

zebes Sep 16, 2021 2:23 pm

No credit card language in my email (I currently have the MBNA MasterCard; have to wait another year to apply again for BoA), so that’s a bummer. I’m 2k EQM away from MVPG, so looks like a short trip down to SFO is in my future.

Edit: Just saw the note about extension through end of 2022 for Canadians. Alaska IT probably thinks I still live in the US...

jsguyrus Sep 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Although the cc spend is limited to 20,000 eqm and only two months in duration, I hope this doesn’t become a regular thing. This will lead to a flood of new elites who may barely fly on Alaska.

pcoll Sep 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Received email 12:58.
Mine also includes information about new Gold 100k coming end of January 2022.
Link to AS site with Tiers and their new benefits.
100k gets not as much as some had hoped.
150% bonus miles, 4 lounge passes, drink and snack on flights, early upgrade window and more.
Looking up more now. AS does say …..more to come for 100k elites.

kevflyer Sep 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Unless you are Canadian. Then your status is extended until Dec. 31, 2021. This annoys me. I flew a ton this year, all leisure, all my own dime, to earn status for next year and they just give it away to everyone. Why did I bother?

Confirmed. Canadians got extended to Dec 2022 and communications via email. Screenshot in my blog post.

keitherson Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Yup. And unlike DL, AS will NOT rollover your existing EQMs. So it was a waste to fly AS.

BookerNYC Sep 16, 2021 3:08 pm

My email didn't say anything about the credit card bonus, but I don't have the card now. Are there any T&Cs specifying whether you have to have had the Alaska card already, or could I apply for it now to take advantage of this offer?

navydevildoc Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by BookerNYC (Post 33573590)
My email didn't say anything about the credit card bonus, but I don't have the card now. Are there any T&Cs specifying whether you have to have had the Alaska card already, or could I apply for it now to take advantage of this offer?

Legalese at the bottom:

**Qualified members can earn 2,500 elite-qualifying miles (maximum of 20,000) that count toward elite status qualification if they make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $2,500 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to an eligible Alaska Airlines Visa card from Septem.ber 16, 202.1 through Novem.ber 15, 202.1. Purchases from different Alaska Airlines accounts cannot be combined to reach the $2,500 threshold. One individual can only earn a maximum of 20,000 elite-qualifying miles via this campaign, even if they hold multiple Alaska Airlines Visa cards. Elite-qualifying miles will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account within the first two billing cycles after qualifying. To qualify for this offer, your credit card account must be open with active charging privileges. Bank of America is not responsible for fulfillment of this elite-qualifying miles offer and posting of miles directly to your Alaska Mileage Plan account. Elite-qualifying miles will not appear on your credit card statement. Elite-qualifying miles count toward elite status qualification only for calendar year 2021, are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. Members who qualify for MVP Gold 75K status via this offer are not eligible to receive the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K status. All Mileage Plan terms and conditions apply. This one-time promotion is limited to customers receiving this email.

azepine00 Sep 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Members who qualify for MVP Gold 75K status via this offer are not eligible to receive the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K status.
In case someone missed this part like i did on my first pass of that email...

anteater Sep 16, 2021 4:32 pm

I am in a similar boat (US based). anteater sad.

Eastbay1K Sep 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 33573464)
Although the cc spend is limited to 20,000 eqm and only two months in duration, I hope this doesn’t become a regular thing. This will lead to a flood of new elites who may barely fly on Alaska.

Ouch. I just had an $8K ES payment post yesterday. This would have put me over to 75K sooner rather than later. :mad:

notquiteaff Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 33573809)

Ok, I missed that.

And now I am confused. Does this apply to the credit card EQMs only, or also to the 50% EQM bonus on travel? And if you first qualify for MVP75 via the bonus offer(s) and then later add more EQM from regular flying, is theirs system smart enough to later credit the 50k?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 33573829)
Ouch. I just had an $8K ES payment post yesterday. This would have put me over to 75K sooner rather than later. :mad:

Same. Need to do the math to see if it is worth it to do Q4 ES and some health insurance spend for MVP 100k

Erasmus Sep 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 33573809)

Yeah, this is a bit surprising, as at least 55K of the miles must have been earned some other way. I almost wonder if they meant to affix this language to the status extension (which has never included the bonus), as I can't recall any other promo for actually *earning* miles (even at accelerated rates or for activities other than flying) that were disqualified in this manner.

soartoday Sep 16, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm US based with Alaska personal and business credit cards, but my email did not mention the credit card EQM - the bullet points were Fast Track and April 2022. I haven't credited a flight to Alaska since February 2020 (no travel during covid).

Any more data points from others that might reveal who is targeted with the credit card spend offer?

IggySD Sep 16, 2021 4:58 pm

If they barely fly on Alaska what does it matter? The chances of them impacting you (or anyone else really) are minimal.

azepine00 Sep 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 33573833)
Ok, I missed that.

And now I am confused. Does this apply to the credit card EQMs only, or also to the 50% EQM bonus on travel? And if you first qualify for MVP75 via the bonus offer(s) and then later add more EQM from regular flying, is theirs system smart enough to later credit the 50k?

Same. Need to do the math to see if it is worth it to do Q4 ES and some health insurance spend for MVP 100k

well they are not saying anything about limiting 100K benefits (whatever they are) if you get there with cc spend so hit 80+k traditional way and supplement the rest by cc..

notquiteaff Sep 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 33573881)
If they barely fly on Alaska what does it matter? The chances of them impacting you (or anyone else really) are minimal.

Right. One of my favorite features of the old United/Chase Platinum and Select Visas was the ability to earn up to 5k EQM for UA spend and (Plat only) another 5k EQM for $25k annual spend. It provided an alternative way to year-end mileage runs when I was falling short a few miles for my status goal. But it wasn’t really enough to make a lot of people elites who otherwise wouldn’t have been elites. I am currently not putting much spend on my AS cards. Even for AS tickets I would rather earn 3X UR than 3X AS. A feature like this could change that.

notquiteaff Sep 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 33573913)
well they are not saying anything about limiting 100K benefits (whatever they are) if you get there with cc spend so hit 80+k traditional way and supplement the rest by cc..

Really not sure (after looking at the criteria) if 100k is a viable goal for me given the 24 segments requirement. Seems unclear at this time if segments rolled over from last year count. So far for this year I have 10 AS segments earned/booked. If the rollover counts, it would be 17, and I might have a way to get to 24. From 10… not worth it.

Eurynom0s Sep 16, 2021 5:39 pm

But remember that now there's AS-metal segment requirements to earn status. You can't just spend the $20k and get your status without ever setting foot on a plane.

diver858 Sep 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by navydevildoc (Post 33573609)
Members who qualify for MVP Gold 75K status via this offer are not eligible to receive the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K status.

I am currently at 54k miles, another ~11k booked for 2021; with the fast track 50% bonus, I will be about 5k miles short, or about 3.5k (with bonus) to get to 75k. Even if that means a MR, it is well worth the time and $ for the extra 50k miles, rather than credit card spend.
Getting a bit aggressive: Fly another 10k in 2021, spend $20k on credit card for 100k status :eek: not sure the incremental bennies (25% more miles, upgrade priority) justify.

jsguyrus Sep 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 33573881)

It matters because potentially you are flooded with new elites. While a few people not flying often makes no difference, a horde of new elites will make a difference. We are all vying for those two or three FC seats that are available for upgrades.

beyounged Sep 16, 2021 7:10 pm

Thank you AS!
This Canadian 75K is grateful. Many folks who probably have lost the reason to stay loyal would definitely think twice next year and will more than likely pay all the elite taxes there is to avoid the X fares!
A small group, albeit very active on this board, will lose out, but I think a majority of AS elites have breathed a sigh of relief, especially those unfortunate souls from YYC and YEG.
Take away all our EQM's, don't let them roll over, it is fine, because next year I am gonna work for 100k from the ground up!*

*assuming borders open up and I don't have to take $200PCR tests whenever I go visit my pet moose.

PaceLaw2012 Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Wow.. Great timing AS! I had a MR booked to requalify for MVPG this weekend, which I'm now cancelling. Going to apply those funds to hitting the minimum in JAN-APR. Sweet.

anteater Sep 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012 (Post 33574159)
Wow.. Great timing AS! I had a MR booked to requalify for MVPG this weekend, which I'm now cancelling. Going to apply those funds to hitting the minimum in JAN-APR. Sweet.

The upcoming “maintain your status period in Q1 2022” feels like slap in the face to those who maintained status in 2021. I am all for granting the opportunity for those who were genuinely unable to travel, but there should be an advantage to those who gave AS business for a year.

🙃

samosa Sep 16, 2021 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by anteater (Post 33574165)
The upcoming “maintain your status period in Q1 2022” feels like slap in the face to those who maintained status in 2021. I am all for granting the opportunity for those who were genuinely unable to travel, but there should be an advantage to those who gave AS business for a year.

🙃

Agreed--I would have preferred rollover.

freed0m Sep 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Anyone outside North America received extension email?

Wonder whether it will be the same as Canadians.

BayAreaTrvler Sep 16, 2021 8:23 pm

There is way too much “more info to come later” in this email. What does it mean for Jan-Apr 2022? As a 75k who’s on track to renew through actual flying in 2021, I’ll be ticked if they have some easy “take a few flights” challenge.

RedPanda5 Sep 16, 2021 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler (Post 33574286)
There is way too much “more info to come later” in this email. What does it mean for Jan-Apr 2022? As a 75k who’s on track to renew through actual flying in 2021, I’ll be ticked if they have some easy “take a few flights” challenge.

it's probably no worse and likely more generous than all the employer based challenges. I am one am glad I will have a chance to extend MVPG next year, already have a SFO->HNL on the board for Jan 22.

ex: https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS2170
  1. Then, fly with us during those 90 days to earn a higher level of elite status, which you'll have through December 31, 2022.

sgan317 Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by navydevildoc (Post 33573609)
Legalese at the bottom:

**Qualified members can earn 2,500 elite-qualifying miles (maximum of 20,000) that count toward elite status qualification if they make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $2,500 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to an eligible Alaska Airlines Visa card from Septem.ber 16, 202.1 through Novem.ber 15, 202.1. Purchases from different Alaska Airlines accounts cannot be combined to reach the $2,500 threshold. One individual can only earn a maximum of 20,000 elite-qualifying miles via this campaign, even if they hold multiple Alaska Airlines Visa cards. Elite-qualifying miles will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account within the first two billing cycles after qualifying. To qualify for this offer, your credit card account must be open with active charging privileges. Bank of America is not responsible for fulfillment of this elite-qualifying miles offer and posting of miles directly to your Alaska Mileage Plan account. Elite-qualifying miles will not appear on your credit card statement. Elite-qualifying miles count toward elite status qualification only for calendar year 2021, are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. Members who qualify for MVP Gold 75K status via this offer are not eligible to receive the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K status. All Mileage Plan terms and conditions apply. This one-time promotion is limited to customers receiving this email.

As a non-elite who should be MVPG by end of year who got no email today, safe to say I don't qualify for 20k EQM from Alaska Visa CC spend?

IggySD Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 33574110)
It matters because potentially you are flooded with new elites. While a few people not flying often makes no difference, a horde of new elites will make a difference. We are all vying for those two or three FC seats that are available for upgrades.

Youre potentially flooded with a bunch of elites who never fly…. The chances of one taking your upgrade are next to nil. I see this argument every time a top tier status is offered “for free”. Never have I seen my upgrade percentage decrease appreciably because of the welfare status folks.

How many people do you think will qualify this way? I’d be surprised if it was more than 1000. Even if it’s 10k though, that’s got to be a statistically insignificant number of seats per day, especially if they never fly. Like Katya from Drag Race, I didn’t go to school for math but my back of the envelope calculations imply that having an upgrade stolen from a welfare MVP is closer to lottery winning territory than a common occurrence.

ashill Sep 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Um, you got the benefits of status on your leisure trips? And someone who isn't flying isn't affecting your upgrade odds in the slightest.

This American-Canadian went 150 km once last summer for a two-night camping trip and otherwise has not been more than 60 km from home since the pandemic started. My home airport, YLW, is closed to international arrivals and not served by AS during the pandemic, so it would be wildly inconvenient for me to fly AS even if I were to fly. I effectively can't travel with my family because my too-young-to-be-vaccinated child would have to miss 14 days of school and I wouldn't be able to physically go to one of my work sites for 14 days if I left Canada (even the 70 km drive south to the border).* Elite status is a marketing tool, the airline trying to convince elites to continue to fly them. AS clearly wants Canadian elites to return to AS when AS resumes useful service to Canada – and anyone who wants to fly AS to Canada should want that too, since it's hard to imagine those routes being viable if AS loses most of their Canadian elites. Therefore, to me, this seems like an obvious and sensible thing for AS to do.

In the meantime, the effect on those who are actually flying AS now is minimal. It's not like there are a ton of Canadian AS elites, and when they return to travelling, presumably the AS capacity to Canada (currently nearly non-existant) will also expand to effectively absorb them, so even then the impact on those who continue to fly AS through the pandemic may will be minimal.

(Now, I personally lost my status in January 2020 because of reduced travel with a child coming, parental leave, a move, and a job change, so I didn't get status extended in this case. But the logic is the same.)

*Whether you agree with these policies – I have some agreements and some disagreements with the details – is irrelevant to their impact on overall travel and travel to Canada on AS in particular.

isaacchambers Sep 16, 2021 11:16 pm

SO to confirm ANYONE with CC can get the 20k EQM spend offer? Its not targeted?