Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - LAX route. First class.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
SFO - LAX route. First class.

Food and Drink Service.
First class: Water only. No snack. No other beverages.

You can disregard "Enjoy free beer, wine, and cocktails." You can instead note: "Our commitment to Next-Level Care means ...For our guests traveling in First Class, this includes limiting available food and beverage options." and "Bottled water service on flights between 220 and 350 miles." which is being applied the first class too.

Miles Credit:
On-Board announcement says the flight "earns a minimum of 337 miles". 500 has been the minimum award for mileage plan. (Actual flight path is usually over 345 miles LAX-SFO and over 400 miles SFO-LAX)

First Class Miles Bonus is 250 miles.

Lounges
SFO. Terminal 2 lounge is not finished, it is expected to open near the end of August 2021.
LAX. Current operating hours: 5am-9pm. Closed to Priority Pass.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: Yes
I hope AS increases their offerings on routes this short. When I used to fly United on this route they would give multiple rounds of Prosecco and even encourage me to finish the remainder of the bottle during descent.

🙌🏻🥂
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
I hope AS increases their offerings on routes this short. When I used to fly United on this route they would give multiple rounds of Prosecco and even encourage me to finish the remainder of the bottle during descent.

🙌🏻🥂
AS Flyer said that full beverage service already returned to F on flights scheduled for just water in the main cabin so I would drop a note to Alaska Listens.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
AS Flyer said that full beverage service already returned to F on flights scheduled for just water in the main cabin so I would drop a note to Alaska Listens.
Agreed, write in, and request a response and confirmation of the policy from Inflight Management. As someone who flies this route quite often, it's beyond annoying to have at least 3 different service standards on this one route.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IWhen I used to fly United on this route they would give multiple rounds of Prosecco and even encourage me to finish the remainder of the bottle during descent.
That must have been many years ago. UA's onboard service on west coast flights is uniformly inferior to AS's.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That must have been many years ago. UA's onboard service on west coast flights is uniformly inferior to AS's.
It was, but I remember it too. I also recall when they served a snack on this flight in F. I distinctly remember a cinnamon roll or scone in the am and small deli sandwiches in the aftn/evening, but I'm pretty sure this was mid to late 90s, definitely pre 9/11.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It was, but I remember it too. I also recall when they served a snack on this flight in F. I distinctly remember a cinnamon roll or scone in the am and small deli sandwiches in the aftn/evening, but I'm pretty sure this was mid to late 90s, definitely pre 9/11.
UA still had muffins in the morning up until COVID started.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
UA still had muffins in the morning up until COVID started.
I haven't seen those muffins on the flight down to LA in years, but definitely had them to Denver and beyond. Regardless, the snacks I'm talking about were actually plated w/flatware.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I'm sorry, I don't understand this post/ I think I'm missing something. The 50% F bonus is 250 because it's 50% of the 500-mile minimum. Are you wanting 50% of 337 miles instead?

The flight is 337 miles when calculated by any known industry standard. I'm not sure why this route would be calculated any differently. I just went to FlightRadar24 and watched the most recent SFO-LAX flight land after 339 miles of flying.

Not sure what the point of the lounge info is. Most routes on the AS network don't have a lounge on both ends, so it will be a big treat to be able to buy a $100 F ticket and have access to a lounge on both sides in a month or two.

Again, sorry if I missing something, just not sure what this real issue is. Are you just wanting a full drink service in F? If so, where should the new cutoff be? What about SAN-FAT at 313 miles or PDX-BOI at 343 miles? Do they get a full drink service now?
mildfrequence and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:36 am

^ I can't speak to the OPs intentions, but I can add my own.

1. It's annoying to hear them constantly use the 337 miles as a marker for mileage plan credit on every flight, when a 500-mile minimum is automatically given.

2. There should be a standard of service in F on this flight, and yet it's all over the map. It's either water, cocktails, or cocktails and snack basket, with each OO crew insisting they're doing the correct one. As mentioned by AS Flyer, the actual policy is now a full beverage service in F whenever there is a water service in Y. This will cover any of the flights you've mentioned, regardless of miles flown.
olouie, ziggy29 and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
... The 50% F bonus is 250 because it's 50% of the 500-mile minimum. Are you wanting 50% of 337 miles instead?
No, I am not wanting 50% of 337. I am pointing out the points benefit for F bonus is 250 miles. You can determine that worth.

The flight is 337 miles when calculated by any known industry standard...I just went to FlightRadar24 and watched the most recent SFO-LAX flight land after 339 miles of flying.
Are you sure that wasn't a LAX to SFO? People should know the "industry standard" is not always correct, especially when it makes a difference to consumers ( large multiple of consumers). Edit to add: Flight Radar seems to list the Great Circle Mapper standard shortest distance regardless of the airplane actual route.

Not sure what the point of the lounge info is. ... so it will be a big treat to be able to buy a $100 F ticket and have access to a lounge on both sides in a month or two.
The point is the thread title which is info/facts for this route. I agree, the long lost lounge in SF will be a significant improvement for consumers determining the worth of F on this route.

... where should the new cutoff be? What about SAN-FAT at 313 miles or PDX-BOI at 343 miles? Do they get a full drink service now?
The route has time to receive full beverage and snack service so the new cutoff can be 336 miles. I can't describe all routes. I am most familiar with this one.
NoLaGent likes this.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Aug 12, 2021 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
2016 -2018. Glad I moved that business to AS, though. 🤙🏻
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
No, I am not wanting 50% of 337. I am pointing out the points benefit for F bonus is 250 miles. You can determine that worth.

Are you sure that wasn't a LAX to SFO? People should know the "industry standard" is not always correct, especially when it makes a difference to consumers ( large multiple of consumers). Edit to add: Flight Radar seems to list the Great Circle Mapper standard shortest distance regardless of the airplane actual route.

The point is the thread title which is info/facts for this route. I agree, the long lost lounge in SF will be a significant improvement for consumers determining the worth of F on this route.

The route has time to receive full beverage and snack service so the new cutoff can be 336 miles. I can't describe all routes. I am most familiar with this one.
Gotcha, this was an exercise to lay out what you get on a particular route. I forgot about the recent update from ASFlyer, so it sounds like you *should* be getting drink service now.Not that it matters when it's skipped, but I guess it would now technically be a crew issue and not a policy issue. And yes, it was SFO-LAX.

When I used to fly United on this route they would give multiple rounds of Prosecco and even encourage me to finish the remainder of the bottle during descent.
🙌🏻🥂
I had this happen a couple of times with AS on SAN-SMF. Pre-Covid, and Pre-4 drink limit
anteater, PaperGlider and NoLaGent like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It's annoying to hear them constantly use the 337 miles as a marker for mileage plan credit on every flight, when a 500-mile minimum is automatically given.
Ive been on a few sub-500 mile AS flights where the FA did announce that it would earn 500 miles. Im guessing some FAs have a better understanding of Mileage Plan than others.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just to be clear, the current cut-off for full beverage service in F is 220 miles so most intra-CA routes should qualify. For routes like PDX/SEA-BOI it really isn't about the mileage as much as it is the aircraft. On a Q400, everyone will get a choice of OJ or Water and a small snack like a Biscoff, on any E175 or 737 aircraft, main cabin will get water and that's it. At some point I'm hoping the Q400 flights will return to full beverage service like they were pre-COVID....not sure why they have lagged so far behind in returning to somewhat "normal" service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.