Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any way to expedite funds back to wallet (24-hour cancellation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Cancelled a trip 2 days ago ... unfortunately I was still within the 24-hour cancellation window and this was 100% paid with wallet funds.

(I would have waited the recommended 48 hours to cancel but this was a last-second trip ... the flights would have taken off before the 48 hours expired.)

Now - I would really like to use these funds to buy the last seat on a flight about 1 week out.

Is there really no possible workaround to having to wait 5-7 days for these funds to come back to wallet? Seems like such an unfriendly policy.... that seat (at that price) will certainly be gone by then.

Thanks FT!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
If you cancel within the 24hr window, you have to wait. Next time wait for 24hrs to be up so the refund option is gone. No idea what 48hr thing you’re talking about.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
If you cancel within the 24hr window, you have to wait. Next time wait for 24hrs to be up so the refund option is gone. No idea what 48hr thing you’re talking about.
I would have, but the flights would have gone by then. So I would have lost the value of the tickets. This was a last-second trip which ended up getting cancelled anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Cancelled a trip 2 days ago ... unfortunately I was still within the 24-hour cancellation window and this was 100% paid with wallet funds.

(I would have waited the recommended 48 hours to cancel but this was a last-second trip ... the flights would have taken off before the 48 hours expired.)

Now - I would really like to use these funds to buy the last seat on a flight about 1 week out.

Is there really no possible workaround to having to wait 5-7 days for these funds to come back to wallet? Seems like such an unfriendly policy.... that seat (at that price) will certainly be gone by then.

Thanks FT!
I was in the same situation. I even called refunds (I think I posted about it as well). No dice. There was nothing they could do as it is an automated thing and they can’t even see it. They told me always to wait past the 24 hour time if it came from wallet funds. I just paid for the new flights and ended up with the wallet credit again.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I hear ya and have been in the same boat before. Unfortunately no workaround that I’m aware of.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:13 pm

Was in a similar situation back in January, and I even called accounting department but still there was nothing they could do. The advise I got was to choose "refund via certificate", and then deposit the certificate back into the wallet, as those tend to be instantaneous even within the 24 hour period. Lesson learned.
spongenotbob likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You're allowed "one change" in the 24 hour window before the value becomes nonrefundable. If you use that one change, it will then refund straight to the wallet. So next time you're paying with Wallet funds, just change it to another flight of the same price to consume the "one change." Then, refund that, and it should post back instantly.
spongenotbob and pcoll like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
On a kinda-sorta related note, does anyone know if the 24-hour cancellation window is exactly 24 hours from the time of purchase? I believe some airlines actually extend it all the way to midnight (or perhaps 11:59:59pm) of the following day. So in theory, if you purchased a ticket at 12:01am on a Monday, you'd have until 11:59:59pm on Tuesday (or nearly 48 hours) to cancel for free. So I'm just wondering if Alaska's 24-hour cancellation window is exactly 24 hours or the more liberal "midnight of the next day". And if it's the latter, is it midnight local time the next day, or is the midnight for a particular time zone, such as GMT/UTC?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Cancelled an award ticket, taxes paid with partial credit certificate and partial credit card. Will the credit certificate be reissued or back to wallet?

And will the expiration date be extended? There was an option to cancel and leave the ticket (miles + taxes) for reuse until next year, but I went ahead with the refund instead.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Email the certificate - it arrives immediately available for use or deposit to wallet

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see this specific topic elsewhere here.

I found a workaround on a blog that worked perfectly for me. Email arrived and funds are deposited for immediate or later use.

Have your funds emailed to you in the form of a credit certificate. The emailed credit certificate comes with a PIN so you can add it to your My Wallet or simply use it when booking another flight.

This option takes ONLY seconds to process.The certificate appeared in my inbox before I even signed out of my Alaska Airlines account. Funds I had deposited [directly to] My Wallet still have not appeared and it’s been days.....

When you’re canceling an Alaska Airlines flight and you’ll be booking another flight, time and money are of the essence. It’s great to have that certificate come right away. Now those funds are yours to use!
willoL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.