Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Clearing Upgrades vs leaving F inventory for SDC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum

On a recent SEA-ANC I had a D class booking but wanted to move to an earlier flight which was selling F7D0 at ~D-28

They must've cleared 7 upgrades because it (and all the other earlier flights) were F0 by the time check-in opened for my flight and I was eligible for SDC. I watched a similar pattern happen on the return, though I wasn't trying to change

Especially on higher frequency routes why are they upgrading all the way to F0 at D-24?

I get that there's value in giving travelers advance notice and reducing the workload for gate agents, but it seems to me they should be holding back a certain number of F seats (2? 4?) for SDC, and of course also for last minute sales.

Curious to know what the official AS stance is, and whether the upgrade processor is working as expected
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Yes
AS is not processing upgrades at T-24 until F is 0.

Your specific case may have been a combination of: other pax SDC with an earlier check-in time than you, paid F sales, and U space opening up around T-24 for upgrades.

I have been in similar circumstances where F will go from 7/8 overnight to 0 by my checkin time, and no one on the UG list moved by departure.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've noticed the same thing on SEA-BOS - my upgrade consistently clears at T-24 and when I check inventory at that point, it suddenly has gone to F0.

It's really nice for me because AS pre-order closes 20 hours before departure, so it gives me a couple hours to select my meal. However, I can see how it would be really annoying for SDCs or people in paid F who run into IRROPS.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Happened to me again recently. In a high frequency market, my flight was F1 at 72 hours before departure. Incredibly, I got my first upgrade at 72 hours since COVID, bringing the flight to F0. All the other flights +/- 4 hours were also F0 several days before departure and stayed that way. This was not driven by revenue F tix sales, but AS upgrading the cabins full.

It worked out great for me this time since I was on a cheap fare... but when I buy D/I fares, I'd really appreciate more flexibility on day of departure.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is the case for sure over at least the past 6 months.

Best way is to book the flight you want to fly... otherwise you might bend up in whY.

*know this is not always possible, and annoying for top-tier elites who are sdc'ing at the last minute due to changing travel needs.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I've observed that things have changed from a year ago. I used to have no problem doing SDC with an I fare. In my last few trips, I have also found that it was more difficult. It seems however to be route dependent.
Also if you want to play the SDC lottery, it helps to have an earlier flight changing to a later flight rather than the converse as the SDC opens up at 24h from the flight currently held. Not 24h from the desired flight.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:58 pm

From AS' viewpoint, this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario! It's a fixed pie, and giving one person a bigger slice means the other will get a smaller slice.
RAD_PDX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.