Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run - Hawaii, pre-clear?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Mileage run - Hawaii, pre-clear?

Planned a mileage run tomorrow to Maui and immediately head back to mainland, probably even on the same aircraft.

In Safe Travels profile, I skipped the lodging info and it seems to be fine. I’m wondering after I arrive OGG, I just need to get off the plane, wait at the gate, then board-again for the new flight, so no pre-clear wristband needed? Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Planned a mileage run tomorrow to Maui and immediately head back to mainland, probably even on the same aircraft.

In Safe Travels profile, I skipped the lodging info and it seems to be fine. I’m wondering after I arrive OGG, I just need to get off the plane, wait at the gate, then board-again for the new flight, so no pre-clear wristband needed? Thanks!
The airport personnel / National Guard are supposed to clear everyone who disembarks the aircraft. Your plan may work, but more than likely they will require you to submit to the process, even if to stay at the gate. The wrist band would make that process much smoother! 🤙🏻
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by lonelygod

No wristband needed.

The checkpoint where they check your wristband or scan your QR isn’t at the gates. There’s sometimes NG personnel monitoring a thermal camera that checks temps of those getting off the plane. You’ll have no interaction with them unless you have a fever.

After leaving the gate area, there are airport personnel and signs directing you where to go. Just get off the plane and take a seat in the boarding area while they heard the cattle away from the gate or turn the opposite way from the direction of baggage claim and go about your business. If one of the staff directs you a certain way, comply and exit the roped lanes at the first break. It’s not a big deal as you’re not attempting to pass through the checkpoint and they understand people need to do things like use the restroom, etc before leaving.

safe travels
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I thought the crew & plane spent the night in Maui and flew out the next day. No?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by philemer
I thought the crew & plane spent the night in Maui and flew out the next day. No?
I can't speak to the crew situation, but tomorrow that aircraft operates SFO-OGG-SEA.

If departing on the SJC flight, it operates SJC-OGG-SFO.
philemer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:57 pm

There’s 2x SAN, 1x PDX, and 1x SFO flights turn & burn with return legs 1hr later. NoLa is right about tomorrow’s SFO flight, so they’re not actually turn & burn. Must be another aircraft, but the timing lines up to hop off one and board another shortly after.

Last edited by imaflyertalkuserwow; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: Yes
Hawaii is one of the states that has been serious about enforcing its entry requirements (eg fines and jail time). Whatever OP decides to do, I hope it works out.

The safest course of action is likely just to pre clear or proceed through the queue upon arrival. Trying to avoid it will likely draw suspicion, and it would be a shame to miss one’s return flight! 🥸
pcoll likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
Hawaii is one of the states that has been serious about enforcing it’s entry requirements (eg fines and jail time). Whatever OP decides to do, I hope it works out.

The safest course of action is likely just to pre clear or proceed through the queue upon arrival. Trying to avoid it will likely draw suspicion, and it would be a shame to miss one’s return flight! 🥸
The checkpoint is when you leave the terminal. OP doesn’t need to leave the terminal for their return flight. This is not a case of skirting or violating any rules. I was in Maui in March and will be there again later this week. I promise this is how it works.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
The checkpoint is when you leave the terminal. OP doesn’t need to leave the terminal for their return flight. This is not a case of skirting or violating any rules. I was in Maui in March and will be there again later this week. I promise this is how it works.
Emphasis added. Just because it was that way in March, or even yesterday... wouldn't be worth a MR risk of getting stopped. YMMV
anteater and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Emphasis added. Just because it was that way in March, or even yesterday... wouldn't be worth a MR risk of getting stopped. YMMV
Stopped where? Between adjacent gates 13 and 15?
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:48 pm
Used to be highman123

Just FYI in HNL there are checkpoints between the outer terminals (i.e. the United Terminal has one) before you can enter the main terminal area. So immediate turnaround would work (using the same United plane not using any other airport facilities outside that terminal). Also in Hawaii you can always end the quarantine prematurely and leave the state via the airport (no imprisonment like in AU/NZ).
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K
From my experience, plane yes, crew no. The PDX/SEA>OGG flights I do usually use the same plane but swap in a different crew. A few months ago I flew over on an AM flight and was on Maui for about 24 hours. The crew heading back for the early afternoon departure the next day was the same one I flew over with. The aircraft was different.

As for OP's question - You shouldn't have any problems. All the focus is on people leaving the airport. Once you get off the plane you are a departing passenger. I've flown into OGG roughly 20X in the last year and the engagement from people enforcing the rules is steadily declining. At the start of Covid there were a dozen+ people checking things. Last time (a couple weeks ago) there was a NG guy kind of watching people's temps and one lone person standing at the top of the escalators (to get out of the airport) trying to see everyone's wristbands but he couldn't keep up and people were streaming by unchecked. If you're not leaving the terminal I'm not sure what anyone posting here thinks could happen. The whole point is to keep infected or non-tested people off the island and you're leaving the island. If anyone says anything just tell them you are a departing passenger and you'll be allowed to go where you need to.

OGG really only has one terminal (single TSA checkpoint) but it is kind of split into two separate areas - lower gate #s on one side, higher on the other. I want to say the "continental divide" is around #19 but am guessing. Usually AS flys out of the higher number end but a few times recently I've been on the lower #s (rubbing elbows with Southwest folks.... ew ). If you have time, don't bother with the Hawaiian Lounge... it's terrible. The obligatory bar in the higher number terminal is decent for a quick drink. I think there is a Starbucks there too. Sammy Hagar's bar in the pseudo food-court is okay as well. There is also a Burger King and a hot dog joint but they are usually pretty crowded.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: AS
Flying today -OGG.
Thanks for the overview of terminal and recommendations for food. , thank you for reminding me how mediocre lounges in OGG are. (Forgot) It has been 5 years since last visit. AS has spoiled us with lounges 🏝Aloha!
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Report back… Everything was smooth, hop off the plane and sit at the gate area for 30 minutes and now at the same seat back to Bay Area. Thanks everyone for your knowledge! If you can find some last minute U spaces both directions, and have some time to kill, OGG is not a bad choice!
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:16 pm

I've done to MRs to OGG during the Pandemic. I did preclear for both just for the heck of it. But one time my test results weren't ready in time and I told the gate agent I was just turning right back and the agent said it was fine and let me go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.