Search

AS Ends LAX-JFK 06 Oct 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
AS Ends LAX-JFK 06 Oct 2021

https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...k-lax-flights/

Guess we will find out soon if the slots are returned or if they move some to SEA or elsewhere.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:56 am

Only a matter of time until they drop sfo to jfk / ewr. The frequency is terrible.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
This definitely doesn’t bode well for the other flights to/from JFK. I assume there are some fixed cost for operating at an airport which per flight/route has now increased. I’m guessing that whenever T7 gets demolished AS will sell the slots and call it a day.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by JHake10
This definitely doesn’t bode well for the other flights to/from JFK. I assume there are some fixed cost for operating at an airport which per flight/route has now increased. I’m guessing that whenever T7 gets demolished AS will sell the slots and call it a day.

AS announced to employees via the employee web site that SFO and SEA will have 4 JFK’s a day. PDX and SAN get 2 each. The JFK AL opens at the end of July. (Sorry I said Oct, that was incorrect). AS was no.5 in O/D traffic to JFK out of LAX. So the slots are going to the stronger cities. SAN was mentioned as very strong. LAX gets 4 EWR and will make AS the only OW non-stop carrier on that route. JFK will have 12 daily departures. EWR 13. Corporate accounts requested the better schedules at the cities mentioned. AS is working with AA to get the AC in EWR terminal A open by October as well. Their position is they’re committed to New York and are leveraging their OW membership with this new schedule.

For me this is great news. As OW Emerald with AA, I prefer AA or AS going East. For my NY flying either JFK or EWR work.(LAX based, the new schedule to EWR will be better than currently) I buy J for that route and don’t care about lie flat. I want maximum EQD’s, (AS provides) EP level service and either the AC or AL at both ends. ONLY those two carriers deliver.

Last edited by Tack; Jun 26, 2021 at 10:36 am
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:11 am

When does 4x a day from sfo start? Right now it’s not even everyday.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by olouie
When does 4x a day from sfo start? Right now it’s not even everyday.
Based on the notice as early as October or as late as start of 2022. They’ve not finalized the schedule yet.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: Various
LAX-JFK =It’s ok. Let AA handle this premium route, with a premium outfitted aircraft. You’ll get credit in either airline’s program. Not to mention, there’s too much route competition, which is (rightfully) not Alaska’s forté.

This will allow AS to fill in other routes that AA lags on/doesn’t care about/can’t handle from LAX. (BNA, Anywhere in Canada, MEX (again), anywhere in the OH/IN/IL “non Chicago” areas as an example.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Robt760
LAX-JFK =It’s ok. Let AA handle this premium route, with a premium outfitted aircraft. You’ll get credit in either airline’s program. Not to mention, there’s too much route competition, which is (rightfully) not Alaska’s forté.

This will allow AS to fill in other routes that AA lags on/doesn’t care about/can’t handle from LAX. (BNA, Anywhere in Canada, MEX (again), anywhere in the OH/IN/IL “non Chicago” areas as an example.
Funny you mentioned MEX. They stated that route only really works if you can get two way traffic, so they’re out for the foreseeable future. AS is noticeably week in driving traffic to its international flights from across boarder sales. It was like that before I retired. However they’re banking on their OW membership to help them improve on that portion of their business and then, who know? Love the other routes you mentioned.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
How are the feds permitting this? That leaves effectively three carriers for competition on the country’s most sought route
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
How are the feds permitting this? That leaves effectively three carriers for competition on the country’s most sought route
Airlines can enter and exit routes at will. Since there’s no cooperation or even codesharing between AA and AS on LAX-JFK, there’s nothing the feds can do.
AS Flyer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Although I may be speaking completely out of my posterior, I would expect that the LAX/JFK market has the most valuable premium market, and one of the least valuable non-premium markets in the USA. Since AS doesn't compete in that segment of the premium market, it probably isn't losing much by not serving JFK. If it can still reliably get you to NYC (via EWR), it will be just fine. (Now, whether it will keep up the projected EWR schedule is another story..)
milski and Tack like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Although I may be speaking completely out of my posterior, I would expect that the LAX/JFK market has the most valuable premium market, and one of the least valuable non-premium markets in the USA. Since AS doesn't compete in that segment of the premium market, it probably isn't losing much by not serving JFK. If it can still reliably get you to NYC (via EWR), it will be just fine. (Now, whether it will keep up the projected EWR schedule is another story..)
That was true 5 years ago for AS. B6 clearly stated multiple times they started Mint precisely for that reason. Having a low frequency service with no premium product on a premium route is a recipe for disaster. It seems more like they are buying time before figuring out what to do with the slots. EWR is not going to be any easier as B6 is building that up and obviously UA has a ton of frequency on LAX-EWR in non-COVID times. The SFO routes are not great for AS--and PDQ-JFK is a great $99 coach fare route for much of the year. B6/AA already fully codeshare and coordinate schedules on flights such as LAX/SFO/SAN-JFK/BOS. SAN-JFK has a bit less competition but only flying transcons from JFK and not having a premium product, AS will always be one of the weakest if not the weakest in the market. There is little room for AS. It seems far more likely that more cuts will be coming next year.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Thank god they bought Virgin America, only to destroy it.
dw, HNL1K, Bowgie and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Thank god they bought Virgin America, only to destroy it.
Classic. It’s like hearing grunge on the radio!
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Calculon
Classic. It’s like hearing grunge on the radio!
"Smells Like Mean Spirit."
AS Flyer and Calculon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.