Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Lounge Options at SFO for AS F Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Hello,
We have a flight leaving SFO tomorrow, we're flying first class. I know Alaska doesn't have a lounge completed yet at SFO but is there a partnership lounge we can use?
Old May 21, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
No. First Class only allows you into Alaska Lounges.
eponymous_coward and Guate87 like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
There is a decent burger place right in front of the AS gates. That's about as good as it gets for now.
MareLuce likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
AFAIK the only AS passengers with reasonable lounge access at SFO are those with Lifetime Delta Sky Club memberships. This is wholly unacceptable for a hub, and hurts the competitiveness of AS as a product.

At check-in yesterday the agent intimated late August for the SFO lounge. I just don’t see why they didn’t just hang an “Alaska Lounge” sign at the lovely former AA lounge. How long can it take to install a pancake printer?
MareLuce and ok2uselane like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
AFAIK the only AS passengers with reasonable lounge access at SFO are those with Lifetime Delta Sky Club memberships. This is wholly unacceptable for a hub, and hurts the competitiveness of AS as a product.

At check-in yesterday the agent intimated late August for the SFO lounge. I just don’t see why they didn’t just hang an “Alaska Lounge” sign at the lovely former AA lounge. How long can it take to install a pancake printer?
Unless the pancake printer also prints valid liquor licenses, it isn't as easy as you think. AA needed its own to transfer to T1, and the old Boardroom license lapsed years ago.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I agree. If only Delta was still a partner, or parted with Alaska on better terms, Alaska might have been able to arrange access....but I doubt anyone knew how things were going to play out. Delta and Alaska were partners a few years ago . (Luckily for me, I AM one of the rare exception of Lifetime Delta Skyclub member)

Jiburi
Old May 27, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This is wholly unacceptable for a hub, and hurts the competitiveness of AS as a product.
This isn't fair for AS. FWIW - AS inherited VA's space, which VA did not ask for any space for lounge when SFO re-built T2. At that point, AS still had the Boardroom and operated from T1. So when AS got to T2, how can you expect there would be space for lounge?
Old May 27, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
This isn't fair for AS. FWIW - AS inherited VA's space, which VA did not ask for any space for lounge when SFO re-built T2. At that point, AS still had the Boardroom and operated from T1. So when AS got to T2, how can you expect there would be space for lounge?
Don't forget that AS ended up at Int'l A gates for a while, and arranged for CX access (for lounge members, only).

I'll side on the "AS should have tried a little harder to get lounge access for paid F in what it was hoping to make into one of its major hubs." As we know, for the right price, almost everything is possible.
Old May 27, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by garykung
Not so fast..... AS could have been included for a lounge space in Terminal 1, but with cost prohibitive, they opted not to. Terminal 1 today is only partially completed. All this planning was several years before purchase of VA came to light. Hub network in/out of SFO is really still a new idea only brought to light, by VA, and blame is more of AS to own up to.

Part of the solution, was CX lounge access, and also DL SkyClub. We know what happed to DL arrangements, however.

Jiburi
Old May 28, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Not so fast..... AS could have been included for a lounge space in Terminal 1, but with cost prohibitive, they opted not to. Terminal 1 today is only partially completed. All this planning was several years before purchase of VA came to light. Hub network in/out of SFO is really still a new idea only brought to light, by VA, and blame is more of AS to own up to.

Part of the solution, was CX lounge access, and also DL SkyClub. We know what happed to DL arrangements, however.

Jiburi
I'd expect that the original T2 lounge buildout wasn't coming cheap, and it would likely have been completed, sans COVID.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Error

Last edited by beachfan; May 31, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Old May 30, 2021, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
How's the connector to the UA gates coming?

For those of us with AMEX Plat (or above) this will be a nice feature for that lounge. Several PP fooderies over there too.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's projected to be completed in October.
Old May 30, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I suppose either the Admiral's club is not connected airside or the wak is too far to use when departing AS?

Since AA ceded ALL SFO-LAX flights after 2pm to AS, I thought it was no big deal, especially since AS is flying a better plane, but some I do appreciate a lounge to relax before joining the scrum.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
I suppose either the Admiral's club is not connected airside or the wak is too far to use when departing AS?

Since AA ceded ALL SFO-LAX flights after 2pm to AS, I thought it was no big deal, especially since AS is flying a better plane, but some I do appreciate a lounge to relax before joining the scrum.
It isn't connected airside yet, and the walk is currently inconvenient, due to construction (i.e., either the long way around the airport, the airtrain, or going through the parking lot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.