Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Do You Think Most/Many Alaska Employees Know FlyerTalk Exists?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Think Most/Many Alaska Employees Know FlyerTalk Exists?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: Various
Alaska Airlines employees on FT?

I have no formal knowledge of any that I’ve personally met.

I don’t think Missy participates any longer, definitely not to the extent such as 5 years ago and beyond. I haven’t seen a post of more than a brief tid bit since VX days or before.

AS Flyer is pretty solid. Probably the most helpful and active member currently. I hope to meet one day.

There may be others here, not so prominent.

I have met many from other forums, such as AA/AAvantage, BA/Avios, and Hyatt Forums. Some I am friends with to this day.

I’m going to take a wild guess, and say that some of these factors are part of the why we see less or no active insider members
+Companies discourage employees from disclosing much info about policies (bordering NDA etc)
+Employees not wanting to participate openly, due to personal privacy
+Employees not participating due to excessive guest/passenger/customer whining and lack of appreciation
+Employees just want to be an observer and not participator
+The prevalence of Bloggers/Social Media “Influencers” has changed the dynamic of what was once a neat group of people who liked to geek out on FT. The Bloggers capitalized on these forums to grab content to make them popular. To my dismay, many have no loyalty to the brands they cover, they just want popularity and “clicks”.
+A combination of several of the above.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:36 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Maybe we need an Alaska Airlines specific DO sometime....I kinda like the idea of a flying DO like the time many of us got together for the last VX flight....I know inaugural flights can sometimes serve that purpose and I've always wanted to book one but they always seem to be during the work week and I think a weekend flight would be better. Think of all the people you talk to in this forum all the time that you've never met before....and no, this isn't my secret way of getting everyone on a plane to give me their chocolate chip cookies
Didn't a bunch of people get together for a PAE flight recently?

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Maybe we can talk Missy into arranging a FT tour of the AS Maintenance Facility and Corporate Headquarters in SEA.
CHQ is not interesting - unless you want a tour of my sizeable snack drawer. The new building across the street is pretty cool though. If you haven't been to the company store, its worth a visit for sure.

Originally Posted by Robt760
Alaska Airlines employees on FT?

I have no formal knowledge of any that I’ve personally met.

I don’t think Missy participates any longer, definitely not to the extent such as 5 years ago and beyond. I haven’t seen a post of more than a brief tid bit since VX days or before.

AS Flyer is pretty solid. Probably the most helpful and active member currently. I hope to meet one day.

There may be others here, not so prominent.

I have met many from other forums, such as AA/AAvantage, BA/Avios, and Hyatt Forums. Some I am friends with to this day.

I’m going to take a wild guess, and say that some of these factors are part of the why we see less or no active insider members
+Companies discourage employees from disclosing much info about policies (bordering NDA etc)
+Employees not wanting to participate openly, due to personal privacy
+Employees not participating due to excessive guest/passenger/customer whining and lack of appreciation
+Employees just want to be an observer and not participator
+The prevalence of Bloggers/Social Media “Influencers” has changed the dynamic of what was once a neat group of people who liked to geek out on FT. The Bloggers capitalized on these forums to grab content to make them popular. To my dismay, many have no loyalty to the brands they cover, they just want popularity and “clicks”.
+A combination of several of the above.
I'm still here, but you are correct, my participation much reduced from when I started on FT - 20 years ago.
For me it was more about changes in job roles.

But in general, I don't know that Bloggers or Influencers changed the dynamic as much as just changes in technology.
I had dinner with some Flyertalkers last week, all without having known that there was a thread about the dinner - because of FB messenger.

And yes.. AS Flyer is worth meeting.

Last edited by missydarlin; May 17, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Old May 17, 2021, 2:09 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by BOB W
I know for a fact that there are people on FT that do work for the airlines. I have personally met a few of them at different DO's over the years. Also, I used to fly with FT tags on my carry-ons and was stopped several times by FA's who told me they follow the AS threads and liked some of the things I had posted. After all these years, my tags have faded, broken or fallen off, so I need to order new ones one of these days.
I found 6 of them when cleaning out my closet this weekend. I'll send you some.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Didn't a bunch of people get together for a PAE flight recently?
well, it was the PAE-LAS inaugural in Mar 2019 ... I guess "recent" is a relative term

that said, there are a handful of us on the SEA-CVG inaugural this week

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I had dinner with some Flyertalkers last week, all without having known that there was a thread about the dinner
and as I mentioned in that thread, it was great to catch up w you again!
Old May 18, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I work within the industry, not saying where. It's pretty easy to stay clear of what you know is inappropriate commenting. My particular niche specialty is pretty obscure - read boring to everybody outside work, which makes that really easy. I speak for myself and have never mentioned my employer in a post. You know what can be said and cannot. Within the context of what is discussed on an airline or hotel thread, there's never really an intersection of work and frequent traveler interests. So long as you never claim to speak for or on behalf of your employer, I imagine it's easy to stay out of trouble. We have rules for personal social media use, and have to annually sign off on the rules. I imagine AS has the same blanket rule. FB is probably a bigger issue than FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.