Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Bright Orange Bag Tags: Your Alaska Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

PDX to SJD the past weekend - no tangible benefit.

SJD to SMF today, bags literally were the last to arrive. I’m exaggerating a bit, it was second to last.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't understand how the bags get the orange tag in the first place when the bag tagging is done by the passenger and handed to someone who puts it on the belt...If you have to stand in line to have an agent tag your bag, then it wouldn't be worth it to me.
AS Flyer and ACBLtd like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:48 pm

and also with the 20 min guarantee it's not much of a benefit, but one that is required of OneWorld carriers I believe.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
and also with the 20 min guarantee it's not much of a benefit, but one that is required of OneWorld carriers I believe.
bags coming off first as opposed to last returning from an international flight which requires standing in line at customs is probably considered a tangible benefit of time
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by Xrayman
bags coming off first as opposed to last returning from an international flight which requires standing in line at customs is probably considered a tangible benefit of time
I agree, back in the day when we could get Sky Priority on Delta that was very beneficial especially at JFK after leaving the tunnel and pre-Delta, back when we got priority bags at Northwest Airlines domestically they always came off first too. However my three experiences so far with my tags on Alaska have made zero difference as to when the bags come off. Last flight on Thursday there were about 15 bags and they were interspersed with all the other bags.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Two data points.... one I was late to the belt due to kid/family bathroom and other issues so I'm not totally sure but there were a lot of people waiting when mine arrived. Second time my two bags were within the first couple dozen. Could have been a fluke but one thing that was odd is that they were both right together... in years of traveling I don't ever remember that happening. In fact, I've often wondered how when I drop them off together they end up so far apart. Again, could have just been a fluke, I suppose statistically I was due to have them together
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
With the 20 minute Baggage Service Guarantee, can we decline the orange tags and priority handling?

How are they sorted on the back end? DL and UA, for example, code the tags as Priority or VIP, and then sort them so they're loaded properly (Priority bags loaded last on final so they're first off). The Priority tags are just a feel good item.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
With the 20 minute Baggage Service Guarantee, can we decline the orange tags and priority handling?

How are they sorted on the back end? DL and UA, for example, code the tags as Priority or VIP, and then sort them so they're loaded properly (Priority bags loaded last on final so they're first off). The Priority tags are just a feel good item.
I get 2,500 miles if they are later than 20 minutes so I would be nervous that this tag would lessen my chances of getting my extra miles.
channa, jiburi, ACBLtd and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Follow up, SMF to SEA today bags came up together and in the first batch. This was good.

However, 1 suitcase was destroyed. The handle was no longer attached and a sharp metal piece that used to be part of the rolling handle was sticking up like an antenna. I was laughing out loud and got a kick out of it. While waiting for car service to arrive at curbside walked up to baggage line. “Was this how you checked this in?” I politely replied “no, and I would be disappointed if an Alaska agent would permit me to check in a piece of luggage in this condition that is potentially a danger to the handling crew”. Got $100 voucher, and didn’t bother regarding a piece of,luggage that was about 1 year old as the driver had arrived curbside and we just wanted to get home. Wife got a kick out of the checking in baggage experiment and now better appreciative of why we each are best served to just roll as a carry on
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Xrayman
“Was this how you checked this in?” I politely replied “no, and I would be disappointed if an Alaska agent would permit me to check in a piece of luggage in this condition that is potentially a danger to the handling crew”.
That's a question they have to ask.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:21 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't understand how the bags get the orange tag in the first place when the bag tagging is done by the passenger and handed to someone who puts it on the belt...If you have to stand in line to have an agent tag your bag, then it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Can’t speak to how AS is handling this, but when I’ve done self tagging on other airlines the agent at bag drop has pulled the label apart a bit and tucked in the priority flag when or after I hand it to them.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
They're irrelevant on an all AS itinerary, but can be quite effective when interlining and international.

For example, I'll find them useful on this: SFO-AS-LAX-AA-LHR-BA-LIS. AA and BA seem to actually honor them, or I've just gotten very lucky.
ACBLtd and PaperGlider like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
They're irrelevant on an all AS itinerary, but can be quite effective when interlining and international.

For example, I'll find them useful on this: SFO-AS-LAX-AA-LHR-BA-LIS. AA and BA seem to actually honor them, or I've just gotten very lucky.
This, right here. With a 20 min bag guarantee throughout their system, it’s just a tag for the DYKWIA crowd, but if you have to make a connection to any other OW airline, AA included, you’ll want it otherwise you’ll be languishing in baggage limbo. 20 min is only a dream for legacy OW airline bag delivery.

Last edited by Tack; Apr 18, 2021 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
No apparent different on either leg of SAN-HNL and return - came up toward the end on both cases.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Former AA EP here (happily with AS since 2018). AA does not give a flying about the priority tags on most domestic flights. My bags never came out first in 5 years with them as an EP. It was better on most international flights, but not super consistent then either.
Tack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.