Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Policy for and Processing of MVPG 75K Upgrades on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACBLtd

Extra Legroom Seating

Mileage Plan elite members have complimentary access to select extra legroom seats – known as Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seating – on American Airlines flights. No fare class restrictions apply, but seating is subject to availability. There is no waitlist for Main Cabin Extra seats.

Upgrades on American AirlinesMVP Gold 75K members are eligible for complimentary upgrades when traveling on American Airlines flights. Upgrades are within the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin or Premium Economy to the next class of service.

These complimentary space-available upgrades are for MVP Gold 75K members and 1 companion booked in the same reservation on the day of departure, at or after check-in. Flights must be on American marketed and operated flights.

Coming Soon - even more upgrade benefits

Domestic upgrade enhancements

Later in 2021, MVP Gold 75K members will be automatically added to the upgrade waitlist for eligible American Airlines flights and eligible to clear as soon as 72 hours prior to travel. MVP Gold 75Ks will be prioritized after AAdvantage® Platinum Pro members on the upgrade waitlist.

International Upgrades
Also, coming in late 2021, MVP Gold 75K members qualifying for status for 2022 will receive an upgrade certificate valid for travel on eligible American Airlines international routes. Look for more details this Fall.

Print Wikipost

Policy for and Processing of MVPG 75K Upgrades on AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Question Question about booking on AA as AS 75K

Ever since Alaska and AA partnered up, as a 75k I noticed this one benefit on the Alaska website:

"Mileage Plan elite members have complimentary access to select extra legroom seats – known as Main Cabin Extra seating – on American Airlines flights.
  • MVP® Gold and MVP Gold 75K members can access these seats at the time of booking. Seats can be selected during the booking process on aa dotcom, or via the “My trips” section of aa dotcom." immediately after booking."
As a result, I try to book a flight on AA. Every time I do, it is charging me an extra amount (between $60-$80) for a MCE seat.

So.. the question is: How do you link your AS status with AA and get this MCE benefit? I don't see anywhere on the AA account settings that allows you to link your AS status.. Or do we have to call in to AA?

Any advice welcomed.. thanks for reading!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by heymon
Ever since Alaska and AA partnered up, as a 75k I noticed this one benefit on the Alaska website:

"Mileage Plan elite members have complimentary access to select extra legroom seats – known as Main Cabin Extra seating – on American Airlines flights.
  • MVP® Gold and MVP Gold 75K members can access these seats at the time of booking. Seats can be selected during the booking process on aa dotcom, or via the “My trips” section of aa dotcom." immediately after booking."
As a result, I try to book a flight on AA. Every time I do, it is charging me an extra amount (between $60-$80) for a MCE seat.

So.. the question is: How do you link your AS status with AA and get this MCE benefit? I don't see anywhere on the AA account settings that allows you to link your AS status.. Or do we have to call in to AA?

When you enter the passenger info during checkout, there is an option to change the frequent flyer program. If you are logged in, it will show your AAdvantage by default, so you just change that to Alaska and enter your Mileage Plan number.
heymon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by heymon

Booking on AA, if you have an AAdvantage account and want to use your AS FF#, is a little cumbersome. By default, your AA# is attached to your itinerary. If you try to change it, all your information that was auto-filled will be deleted.

Once you fill in all your information and move to the next page, AA will validate your AS# and see that you are MVPG75K/OWE. From that point, preferred & MCE seats can be selected with a $0 fee. No dollar amounts will display on the seat maps.

Once purchased, the itinerary won't show in Your trips since it isn't associated to you AA# but you can add it manually with your name & record locator.

James
channa, PaperGlider and heymon like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:11 pm

I send this to AA twitter: Hello, please help me change the frequent flyer number on an existing reservation from American Airlines to Alaksa Airlines. The locator is XXXXXX and the passenger name is Jane Doe. Flight is from XXX to XXX on DD/MM. My Alaska number is XXXXXXXXX. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I send this to AA twitter: Hello, please help me change the frequent flyer number on an existing reservation from American Airlines to Alaksa Airlines. The locator is XXXXXX and the passenger name is Jane Doe. Flight is from XXX to XXX on DD/MM. My Alaska number is XXXXXXXXX. Thanks!
In the not too distant past they were cracking down on this with award tickets....I had purchased an award with Alaska miles but it included an AA flight and since I had the AA credit card, I knew I would get a free bag if my AA # was on the reservation but they refused to add my AA # since I had used AS miles for the ticket. The relatively easy go-around if I recall was to have an AS agent remove my frequent flyer number and then I could go in an add my AA #.
heymon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In the not too distant past they were cracking down on this with award tickets....I had purchased an award with Alaska miles but it included an AA flight and since I had the AA credit card, I knew I would get a free bag if my AA # was on the reservation but they refused to add my AA # since I had used AS miles for the ticket. The relatively easy go-around if I recall was to have an AS agent remove my frequent flyer number and then I could go in an add my AA #.
I only use this for flights booked with AA miles (which is OP's scenario here) since I dont have status with AA but have loads of miles with them due to cc. For flights booked with avios/qantas miles/AS miles I use the finnair trick instead. AA won't be able to change your FF number on a flight booked using partner's miles.
heymon likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Andy - I will admit - I didn't think about booking with AA miles but instead booking a AA flight with cash because they have direct flights where AS would force me to do a layover somewhere (yet still being able to accrue AS mileage).

To the posters above - thanks for the tips. I literally spent hours trying to figure this out..
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Double check that your KTN is properly populated if you do this. It is the easiest of the minor tech glitches and the one that matters.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
KTN and getting MVPG75 benefits on AA

Originally Posted by Often1
Double check that your KTN is properly populated if you do this. It is the easiest of the minor tech glitches and the one that matters.
Can you possibly say more about this? I ask in the context of my frustrating experience for a PHX-SEA flight today on AA.

I had been hoping to be offered an upgrade at check-in per this notice: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...elite-benefits

When I checked in online yesterday, I was not offered an upgrade, despite five remaining seats in first (EF confirmed). I called American, was even transferred to the Plat Pro desk at one point - they had never heard of this benefit and were unable to add me to the wait list using my MVPG75 credentials. I gamely tried again at the gate this morning - same issue.

I had entered my Alaska MVP# when booking, with the manual data entry (ugh!) after removing my AAdvantage pre-saved info. I was able to pick MCE seats no problem.

Any insight on
  • What could I have done differently to get on the upgrade list?
  • Failing that, has anyone found info on aa.com we can point AAgents to?
Obviously upgrades are a perk, not an entitlement, so I suffered silently with no drinks (boo!) in MCE and napped to SeaTac. The leg room was nice. But it was frustrating to be seemingly so close to a win and still watch the good seats slip out of reach.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Flying AA last night with my AS75K number attached to the reservation, I was automatically upgraded to F at the gate. I could not see myself on the AA upgrade list in the app, but the AA gate agent called me up before I even had a chance to ask.
Flying for Fun and bon mot like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:34 am

AA Upgrades as AS 75K

As a 75K if I don’t get an upgrade at check in, do I get placed on the upgrade list?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
As an AS MVP/Ruby I booked a future AA flight. When I qualify for MVPGold/Sapphire in a few weeks, will I then be able to go into my AA booking and select MCE seats? Can I also select MCE seats for companions on the same reservation who are not Sapphire?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
As a 75K if I don’t get an upgrade at check in, do I get placed on the upgrade list?
From my experience yesterday, no. Others have had more success.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 21, 2021 at 5:48 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
AS 75Ks are currently the only AS elites that qualify for first class upgrades on AA, but it's kinda like you're flying non-rev and hoping there is an extra F seat at the gate--you're not actually on the "list", but they can see you're a 75K and seat you in F after their own upgrade list is cleared. This is similar to the upgrade situation back in the day when AS and DL were partners....you're chances of getting upgraded on DL were VERY low, but there were of course multiple reports of unicorns appearing and AS elites getting upgraded so don't give up hope on AA!
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:06 am

Has anyone ever received upgrades on award travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.