Wiki Posts
Search

EK Downgrades F Award

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
EK Downgrades F Award

I booked a SEA-DXB and back in F with Alaska miles for end of April. I got a schedule change notice and was placed in business class. No mileage refund, and it was labeled a scheduled change. F is still operating, so I am assuming this is EK downgrading me.

has anyone else had something similar happen?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I booked a SEA-DXB and back in F with Alaska miles for end of April. I got a schedule change notice and was placed in business class. No mileage refund, and it was labeled a scheduled change. F is still operating, so I am assuming this is EK downgrading me.

EK has made numerous schedule changes to my award bookings ticketed through AS and every single time they put me back in F.

EK cannot refund your mileage; only AS can. I would phone AS and see if they can get EK to put you back in F unless you are ok staying in J and in which case, AS will return the mileage different to your account.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:51 pm

EK is using a 777-200 with business and economy only on the Seattle route. Not sure where you're seeing "F is still operating"?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I booked a SEA-DXB and back in F with Alaska miles for end of April. I got a schedule change notice and was placed in business class. No mileage refund, and it was labeled a scheduled change. F is still operating, so I am assuming this is EK downgrading me. has anyone else had something similar happen?
As noted, SEA-DXB EK230 is now two class only with no F. Try routing via LAX, SFO or ORD.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
EK is using a 777-200 with business and economy only on the Seattle route. Not sure where you're seeing "F is still operating"?
The 77-200LR 2-2-2 is a huge upgrade in Business Class to the 777-300ER 2-3-2. For EK redemptions, I always flew the A380 for a superior experience. I would be quite happy with the 777-200LR in J.

For the OP. If you are set on EK F you can see if other routings are available. I had a downgrade from F to J on CX LAX-HKG when CX changed equipment from a 4 Class to a 3 Class aircraft. Although CX changed me to J, AS still had to reissue the ticket on AS stock. In the process, the original 70K was returned to my account and 50K was taken to pay for the reissued ticket. I also had a CX F award and the flight was cancelled. CX protected me in F on a later same day flight and notified me directly. I still had to call AS to have the ticket reissued.

The miles differential between a J and an F redemption is significant. If you have never flown EK F before, you may find value in redeeming a lot of extra miles, but it won't be the same experience on the 777-300ER as it would be on the A380 with the shower suites & bar/lounge.

I understand that there is a time crunch for F redemptions with Mileage Plan but I would look for an itinerary beyond DXB with or without a stopover where the A380 is operating. I believe BKK/HKG is. That way, you can experience both. EK has a fifth freedom flight BKK<->HKG so you could fly DXB-BKK-HKG and experience the product twice if booked as a continuation of the NA to ME flight. EK also flies MEX-BCN-DXB either as a direct or on two separate aircraft.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 14, 2021 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I understand that there is a time crunch for F redemptions with Mileage Plan but I would look for an itinerary beyond DXB with or without a stopover where the A380 is operating. I believe BKK/HKG is. That way, you can experience both. EK has a fifth freedom flight BKK<->HKG so you could fly DXB-BKK-HKG and experience the product twice if booked a a continuation of the NA to ME flight. EK also flies MEX-BCN-DXB either as a direct or on two separate aircraft.
The DXB/BKK/HKG route has been downgraded to a 3 class 777-300 until the end of October, having previously been scheduled with an A380, so what you suggest unfortunately wouldn't be possible.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thanks guys, I was getting worried EK is taking away our F awards
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks guys, I was getting worried EK is taking away our F awards
Well, EK is no longer allowing booking into F at the end of the month...
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Well, EK is no longer allowing booking into F at the end of the month...
Right but they still have a contractual obligation to honor F bookings that were previously ticketed
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fly747first
Right but they still have a contractual obligation to honor F bookings that were previously ticketed
The booking in question is still being contractually obligated- in the highest cabin on the plane flying the routing (J). OP should either pursue a refund or change the routing.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The booking in question is still being contractually obligated- in the highest cabin on the plane flying the routing (J). OP should either pursue a refund or change the routing.
I was referring to F award bookings in general assuming there is still an F cabin after a schedule change
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to deal with AS because it is the ticketing carrier.

Either he finds some other routing which has AS redemption availability in F between SEA and DXB and proposes that or he takes the reroute offered by EK. Any mileage refund is for AS to make. I would do nothing about a refund until after the trip as one never knows what pops.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP needs to deal with AS because it is the ticketing carrier.

Either he finds some other routing which has AS redemption availability in F between SEA and DXB and proposes that or he takes the reroute offered by EK. Any mileage refund is for AS to make. I would do nothing about a refund until after the trip as one never knows what pops.
You can't wait until after the trip. AS will need to issue a new ticket in J if the OP decides to accept it as EK can't issue the ticket for the space it has reserved for the OP. AS will refund the old award fare and charge the new award fare. It isn't a simple matter of throwing the fare difference back into the MP account.

James
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fly747first
I was referring to F award bookings in general assuming there is still an F cabin after a schedule change
Right, but the point is this isn't actually happening. OP got an acorn dropped on their head by EK changing equipment on their routing (to a plane with no F). The sky isn't falling (the AS award wasn't being unilaterally changed to a J award for no reason on a plane with an F cabin).
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can't wait until after the trip. AS will need to issue a new ticket in J if the OP decides to accept it as EK can't issue the ticket for the space it has reserved for the OP. AS will refund the old award fare and charge the new award fare. It isn't a simple matter of throwing the fare difference back into the MP account.

James
For a simple cabin downgrade, there is no need to reissue the ticket. EK certainly will not require it.

OP is simply flying on an F ticket in the highest cabin, e.g. J. This happens fairly routinely.

Then, when back home, he can sort the miles refund with AS in due course, presumably having obtained paper boarding passes from EK and retained them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.