Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska selling Upgrades priority over Elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

Just one data point. Bought a last minute ticket for non status passenger. It was within 24 hours of departure. There was no blue F showing. Purchased ticket and then went to check in right after. Offered upgrade to First for $29. This was on SFO-LAS.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: Yes
Interesting! Does anyone else have data?

I have never been offered a TOD upgrade at check-in.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AS
Never at check in but, I have seen it at gate. GA selling upgrades at T-1. Elites standing around gate area awaiting processing of upgrades. Upgrades ended up being sold. Before Covid .
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Never at check in but, I have seen it at gate. GA selling upgrades at T-1. Elites standing around gate area awaiting processing of upgrades. Upgrades ended up being sold. Before Covid .
I have seen this. If it happens, report it to AS. After speaking with CC, they agreed the process should be:

0) Sell a full fare FC ticket at anytime
1) Process FC upgrade list until FC full or list empty
2) Sell FC upgrades

There used to be a table of upgrade cost in USD based on flight distance, but all I can find remaining is the cost based on miles; however, AS has added to the page TOD upgrades. Link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades . Based on the wording, it would sound like TOD upgrades could occur before the flight is handed over to gate control. I will follow up with AS for clarification.

I want to guess that TOD upgrades are only present if the FC upgrade list has already been processed because of this wording:
Upgrades are subject to availability as "U" Class may not be available on all flights.
If U space is available prior to gate control, the upgrade processor should have assigned it to a passenger on the FC upgrade list. The only caveat I can think of is if the only remaining guests on the upgrade list are traveling together (2 PAX per party) and the U space is "1".
be_rettSEA and Mahogany like this.

Last edited by anteater; Feb 10, 2021 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
I have seen this. If it happens, report it to AS. After speaking with CC, they agreed the process should be:

2) Sell FC upgrades

There used to be a table of upgrade cost in USD based on flight distance, but all I can find remaining is the cost based on miles; however, AS has added to the page TOD upgrades. Link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades . Based on the wording, it would sound like TOD upgrades could occur before the flight is handed over to gate control. I will follow up with AS for clarification.

I want to guess that TOD upgrades are only present if the FC upgrade list has already been processed because of this wording:

If U space is available prior to gate control, the upgrade processor should have assigned it to a passenger on the FC upgrade list. The only caveat I can think of is if the only remaining guests on the upgrade list are traveling together (2 PAX per party) and the U space is "1".
Yes, I believe paid upgrades are booked into U class just like complementary elite upgrades so theoretically if the upgrade list is empty and U space remains at T-24, you would be offered a paid upgrade. If I ever saw paid upgrades being offered at the gate while there were still people on the upgrade list, I would be sending a note to Customer Care.....they are typically very responsive.
be_rettSEA, anteater and Mahogany like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
My last two FC upgrades have come around T-2/3 hours so it appears they could be waiting until the bitter end to be sure no no buys a ticket. I love the upgrades but have been somewhat surprised AS doesn't just try to sell them rather than give them away.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater

2) Sell FC upgrades

The only odd part was that "U" was not showing as available when I bought the ticket, but then immediately after purchase when I went to check-in it offered the TOD upgrade to F, and yes it is showing in "U".
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
The only odd part was that "U" was not showing as available when I bought the ticket, but then immediately after purchase when I went to check-in it offered the TOD upgrade to F, and yes it is showing in "U".
Thanks. I'll be sure to include this when I contact AS.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
My last two FC upgrades have come around T-2/3 hours so it appears they could be waiting until the bitter end to be sure no no buys a ticket. I love the upgrades but have been somewhat surprised AS doesn't just try to sell them rather than give them away.
Well, if they are waiting until the bitter end to process elite upgrades then they are trying to sell them (for whatever a F class ticket sells for) before giving them away. Loyalty programs are big business for airlines and knocking out your 75Ks from the F cabin to get $29 from someone who flies once a year isn't going to work from a financial standpoint (in the long run).
anteater and Xrayman like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Well, if they are waiting until the bitter end to process elite upgrades then they are trying to sell them (for whatever a F class ticket sells for) before giving them away. Loyalty programs are big business for airlines and knocking out your 75Ks from the F cabin to get $29 from someone who flies once a year isn't going to work from a financial standpoint (in the long run).
Works for United.
ACBLtd, be_rettSEA and Mahogany like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SF1K
Works for United.
I was just going to say that this is straight from the UA playbook.
ACBLtd and Mahogany like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
People report seeing this from time to time but I never have. If/when I do, my plan is to purchase the upgrade and submit it to Alaska for reimbursement. That way I still get the upgrade and also have documentation of the event, which will hopefully lead to remedial training for the agent(s) who sold the upgrade.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
People report seeing this from time to time but I never have. If/when I do, my plan is to purchase the upgrade and submit it to Alaska for reimbursement. That way I still get the upgrade and also have documentation of the event, which will hopefully lead to remedial training for the agent(s) who sold the upgrade.
I agree, it's very random and quite rare. It happened to me once 3 or so years ago. I bought it, submitted and was given a very generous discount code and an apology.
anteater and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
make sure to include a screenshot of the UG list as well ... might also try making a dummy booking at T-1.5 or thereabouts to confirm they haven't opened any U space for last-minute reservations
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
make sure to include a screenshot of the UG list as well ... might also try making a dummy booking at T-1.5 or thereabouts to confirm they haven't opened any U space for last-minute reservations
Good idea until the flight has been transferred to Gate Control. Once this occurs, it should no longer show up in reservations for booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.