Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Options for COVID testing prior to AS flights from Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I know it's a relatively new requirement, but I wondered if AS had any plans to offer pre-departure COVID testing in any of it's Mexico destinations. I've got a long weekend trip planned to PVR in a few weeks that I may need to cancel if there are no viable (inexpensive/easy) testing options available. If everyone is just "on their own", my guess is that they're going to see a SIGNIFICANT increase in Mexico cancellations which is the one place where I think AS has been doing fairly well during the pandemic. I asked about this via Facebook Messenger and received this response: "as this is all very recent news, we do not have that information at this time. We are working to pull resources for guests." So it sounds like we may see something from AS soon as it sounds like they're scrambling to put something together.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's going to be a free-for-all. Finding those resources in most of Mexico isn't going to be easy and obtaining government permission to use the limited supply for leisure travelers is going to be harder.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It's going to be a free-for-all. Finding those resources in most of Mexico isn't going to be easy and obtaining government permission to use the limited supply for leisure travelers is going to be harder.
Yeah....not something I care to deal with on a 3-day weekend. I mentioned to the AS Rep on Facebook Messenger that I think I'll cancel and re-book to Orlando and she seemed to think that was a good idea. My guess is that those flights to/from Mexico are about to get a lot more empty (sadly). COVID testing prior to leaving the US is totally doable....my wife and I had no problem doing that last summer for our trip to Alaska, but this is an entirely different level of difficult.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Agreed, it's likely to decimate the MX flights unless they fly in the tests from the US and offer it themselves, which I find highly unlikely. Same for CR.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have a trip to PVR in early Feb. booked and I am hoping they come up with something. If not I guess it goes in the ever increasing pile of cancelled bookings I have.

This is also going to affect the few remaining flights from Canada as well as Costa Rica flights (if they have restarted).
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For the "right price," I wouldn't be surprised if "obtaining government permission to use the limited supply for leisure travelers" doesn't become easier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:09 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
What about those at-home test kits where the lab mails you the test, you self-administer on video chat, and you mail it back to them?

Presumably you’d need to pay extra for express shopping from Mexico, but if it works for Hawaii...
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For the "right price," I wouldn't be surprised if "obtaining government permission to use the limited supply for leisure travelers" doesn't become easier.
It is Mexico!

My guess is the testing supply isn't the problem, Alaska can easily fly tests down. The problem is getting a lab to get them processed.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
It is Mexico!

My guess is the testing supply isn't the problem, Alaska can easily fly tests down. The problem is getting a lab to get them processed.
I don't think you need a lab at all for the rapid antigen tests, which are accepted by this order, but I still can't imagine AS taking this responsibility and cost even if so. They're less accurate, for starters, and what if sourcing becomes an issue- they just fly planes back empty? The whole scenario sounds like a logistical and quite likely, PR nightmare.

Edited to add: I looked at the order again and it definitely says lab results too, so rapid antigen must be disqualified from this order. What a mess.

I'll just continue sheltering here in SF, since a Mexico holiday isn't even allowed for those of us in most of CA.
Often1 and anteater like this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Jan 13, 2021 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
It is Mexico!

"easily"?

Obtaining an export license for a scarce resource to test leisure travelers does not strike me as "easily".

AS isn't going to take on the risk & liability. It's an air carrier not a health care provider. Perhaps some vendor, but that's not going to be cheap and these are not exactly high PRASM routes.

If the traffic isn't there, frequencies & routes get cut before AS shells out for what this would cost.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Wow. Booked a family trip to Cabo for Mid April. Will start the process of unwinding this trip.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"easily"?

Obtaining an export license for a scarce resource to test leisure travelers does not strike me as "easily".

AS isn't going to take on the risk & liability. It's an air carrier not a health care provider. Perhaps some vendor, but that's not going to be cheap and these are not exactly high PRASM routes.

If the traffic isn't there, frequencies & routes get cut before AS shells out for what this would cost.
it is not a "scarce resource" - machines are fairly cheap and tests are very cheap. Many companies set up testing for staff even though in US you have a complex regulatory framework, appropriate space and staff training requirements etc etc - and all just for half to maybe one year of remaining pandemic needs.

Pretty sure in Mexico it's an easy setup for those with connections (there are plenty of medical and dental clinics catering to americans as is) - before there was no demand for that but now some entrepreneurial folks will have those running in no time. IMHO of course...
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:45 pm

I've tested twice in Mazatlan (PCR) and received results under 12 hours through Sharp Hospital. Most AS Mexico destinations are served by hospitals/clinics that cater to US/Canadien snowbirds. Not an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Wow. Booked a family trip to Cabo for Mid April. Will start the process of unwinding this trip.
I cancelled my PVR trip today....not worth the hassle for just a short trip....it will be interesting to see how the Mexico flights will be affected by the next round of schedule changes.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Was looking at CUN earlier due to testing requirements to return to the state of Alaska to avoid quarantine. However, one needs to get results back in order to board, whereas SOA just needed a pending test to avoid additional testing... not going to risk it. Too many tests have taken too long in the great white North.

And one date I was looking at returning was the 26th

Yes, there are places in CUN to get tested. I would research ahead; wouldn't be surprised to hear these resources becoming tighter.

...And DL just added SEA-CUN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.