Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First leg Alaska, second leg International, document check mid-way only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I am on an Alaska airlines 027 single ticket SEA to ORD (Alaska metal) to DXB (Emirates). For my nationality dubai has some very stringent rules for covid entry, showing printed test reports from authorized labs, app filled out, authorization forms and such.

When checking in Seattle, during document check, the Alaska agent did not verify any of this besides my passport and just handed me my Seattle to Chicago boarding pass. I asked "do you want to check my other covid documentation" and they were like " naah that's when you arrive in chicago".

My question is this - there is a nonzero chance that I'll be denied boarding in chicago when Emirates does a more thorough document check because I forgot some new covid rules form or the other, if that happens who's responsibility is it to bring me back to Seattle? I didn't bring any cold weather clothes because I thought all my documents will be checked in Seattle.

I feel like if my documents aren't fully in order I shouldn't be allowed to board the very first place of embarkation, otherwise it's on Alaska to bring me back for free. But I don't see this argument flying if I call them stranded in chicago after Emirates says "oh your covid test needed a notorized stamp on it because this new covid rule just started three days ago" or whatever.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:50 am

It is always the passengers responsibility to ensure that meet the entry requirements for the foreign country. Typically, if you arrive in the foreign country and don't meet entry requirements it will be on the air carrier to "remove" you from the country and could additionally be fined. So, what carriers do is check that you meet the requirements and they won't face removal costs. So, yeh, if Emirates decides they don't want to board you at the connecting airport - you may be out of luck.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Even if AS were to perform a complete "doc check," it wouldn't hold any weight as EK is the responsible carrier for getting you to DXB. So, even if AS said "you're good to go," if EK doesn't, you're still not going. If EK gets you to DXB and Dubai doesn't let you in, EK is on the hook, not AS.
eponymous_coward and ashill like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

But doesn't this run the risk of passengers being stuck in random airports around the world. Alaska didn't dmeven do a cursory check of my docs against their tiamatic system which tbh rubbed me the wrong way, like they didn't care if I could be stranded later. As the ticketing agent on my single ticket I feel that they should do a bit more diligence before sending people off halfway across the country.

In some ways, now I regret booking this as a single ticket, because by taking the domestic segment I've used the ticket partially and any refunds would be near impossible if I'm denied boarding midway. If this was separate tickets the current covid policies would've made a refund on an unused ticket easy.

It is always the passengers responsibility to ensure that meet the entry requirements for the foreign country
Yes, but I'm sure you realize that in covid times even the best prepared travellers are being caught flat-footed due to some late changing requirement they weren't aware of. Airlines have the latest official info right in front of their system when handing a boarding pass, they should do the bare minimum service here for passengers at the embarkation point.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:30 am
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
But doesn't this run the risk of passengers being stuck in random airports around the world. Alaska didn't dmeven do a cursory check of my docs against their tiamatic system which tbh rubbed me the wrong way, like they didn't care if I could be stranded later. As the ticketing agent on my single ticket I feel that they should do a bit more diligence before sending people off halfway across the country.
Of course this risk exists. And no matter what Timatic may say at your first point of departure, and no matter what Airline A may say, airline B (final destination airline) is still responsible if you're not admitted. And ultimately, you are responsible for having everything in order. Is airline A responsible if the rules of entry change before you arrive for your airline B flight? Is airline A responsible if it checks your docs but you don't have them prior to boarding Airline B?

Sorry to sound harsh, but AS could have sat you down for tea and crumpets at its Bald Eagle Elite Check-In Room while the agent diligently checked your docs, verified everything was in order as best as it could determine, and EK could still tell you where to go (or rather, where you're' not going) at your connection point.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I just went through this with AS and AA. AS did do a document check although it was obvious they were only checking a box and didn't know exactly what they were looking for. When I transferred to AA for the international leg they carefully checked all the documentation as they do it every day for that particular Country and knew what to look for.
HangryDad likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

In some ways, now I regret booking this as a single ticket, because by taking the domestic segment I've used the ticket partially and any refunds would be near impossible if I'm denied boarding midway. If this was separate tickets the current covid policies would've made a refund on an unused ticket easy.

Yes, but I'm sure you realize that in covid times even the best prepared travellers are being caught flat-footed due to some late changing requirement they weren't aware of. Airlines have the latest official info right in front of their system when handing a boarding pass, they should do the bare minimum service here for passengers at the embarkation point.
This is the risk you choose to take when flying, especially internationally right now. AS doesn't fly to DXB, so to assume they have an understanding of the entry requirements is not realistic.
ashill and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is 100% the passengers responsibility to have all proper documents and backup. If anything is missing and he is denied boarding. If the passenger makes it to ORD and is denied boarding, it will be the passenger's responsibility to get himself back to his origin.
2. Most carriers do check documents at origin and then at the international gateway to avoid issues such as you mention. But, the fact that AS chose not to has zero impact on your passenger rights.

Remember that carriers do not check docs for the passenger's sake. They check them in order to avoid being saddled with a passenger on arrival overseas and possibly being fined on top of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.