Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Super low YQ ex-EU on BA (one way) using AS miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Yes, I know, everyone likes to bag on redeeming BA using AS miles, I can almost hear the usual suspects getting ready to tee off.

But you're not going to see a lot better options from Europe in a premium class redemption in summer (UA redemptions on LH J are something like 20k extra miles, I'll buy your 20,000 UA miles for $83 all week, yes, I know, BA did a number on their inflight soft product, I'll still eat a good meal on the ground). Pray for a vaccine and Europe taking US travelers with proof of negative COVID test I reckon?

(BTW, you're better off going ex-USA to LHR on BA using CX miles- this also drops YQ compared to other options).

PS: BA 49 to SEA is the 787-10 with J suites, it's readily available.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 15, 2020 at 9:34 pm
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:24 pm

Is AMS the cheapest departure airport in Europe?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Is AMS the cheapest departure airport in Europe?
I know the Netherlands won't charge APD. France and Germany do. I don't recall Switzerland charging APD.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FYI... BA 53 (the 777) they have running in the summer LHR-SEA is listed as having Club Suites, so both SEA flights are allegedly the new J product*. 60k AS miles and ~$210 isn't terrible for a modern lie-flat 10 hours in J to the West Coast.

*yes, I know, the schedules are fictional at this point.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
For the same YQ and taxes (~USD 207 from AMS), and 10k more AS miles, you can fly First transatlantic. It's still BA (in dire straits), but much greater likelihood of being able to social distance even when there are the inevitable timetable/equipment changes. I see summer availability to the West Coast, especially to LAX.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
For the same YQ and taxes (~USD 207 from AMS), and 10k more AS miles, you can fly First transatlantic. It's still BA (in dire straits), but much greater likelihood of being able to social distance even when there are the inevitable timetable/equipment changes. I see summer availability to the West Coast, especially to LAX.
Correct. But not on my dates though, so J it is. AS is also for some reason thinking BA is flying F on AMS-LHR, and thus offering mixed awards with F on the luxurious A320.

Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:51 pm

Is it worth the extra 10k miles to fly F vs. new Club Suites ex-LHR? Thinking the Concorde Room (if open) makes it worth it.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Is it worth the extra 10k miles to fly F vs. new Club Suites ex-LHR? Thinking the Concorde Room (if open) makes it worth it.
Definitely, and at least in a pre-Covid (or post-vaccine) world, the onboard food and beverage and a smaller cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’ve done enough flying in F/J cabins where I would pick a direct routing in a good lie-flat J hard product over a circuitous routing (with some of it in AS F on the US side) in a “meh” F product, which is basically what BA F is.

If the routing is identical... maybe I’d take the better cabin and lounge for 10k AS miles.

https://viewfromthewing.com/whats-ri...ndon-heathrow/

The nice part about BA J/F is that assuming COVID is under control by summer for travel, it’s widely available at a reasonable price ex-EU during summer. I’d also say that BA F for 70k AS miles and $200ish USD probably beats 77k UA miles + taxes and fees for LH J, quite comfortably.
ACBLtd likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 22, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The nice part about BA J/F is that assuming COVID is under control by summer for travel, it’s widely available at a reasonable price ex-EU during summer.
Yep, works the same when booking AA awards on BA also. One-way awards on BA flights ex-Europe have a significantly lower YQ than ex-US.

Also as some may already be aware, if you book a round-trip award US-Europe on BA, you'll get hit with the outrageous YQ in both directions, so it's almost always a better deal to book each direction separately (ideally with US-Europe on another carrier besides BA).
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
IMO the BA F suites on the 380 are the only ones worth booking. The 747 and 777 F (I have not flown BA F on the 789) suites are pretty much jammed together and there is a real feeling on being cramped/congested. My experience on the 380 was much better. Especially with the seat in its sleeping configuration. I agree with much of the BA F criticism (that is is effectively a better business class product). But coupled with the BA F dining and lounges, it can be a very pleasant experience.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
IMO the BA F suites on the 380 are the only ones worth booking. The 747 and 777 F (I have not flown BA F on the 789) suites are pretty much jammed together and there is a real feeling on being cramped/congested. My experience on the 380 was much better. Especially with the seat in its sleeping configuration. I agree with much of the BA F criticism (that is is effectively a better business class product). But coupled with the BA F dining and lounges, it can be a very pleasant experience.
BA isn’t flying 747s or A380s (and may never fly them again). The 777s with new J also gets a knockoff of 789 F, and the cabin is now 8F.

Also, 75Ks should be OWE fairly soon (and thus getting BA F lounges no matter what cabin they fly).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 23, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
BA isn’t flying 747s or A380s (and may never fly them again). The 777s with new J also get a knockoff of 789 F, and the cabin is now 8F.

Also, 75Ks should be OWE fairly soon (and thus getting BA F lounges no matter what cabin they fly).
I wasn't sure about the BA 744s but the 388s are still on the schedule for next summer (from ORD and the west coast). Whether they fly or not is to be determined.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I wasn't sure about the BA 744s but the 388s are still on the schedule for next summer (from ORD and the west coast). Whether they fly or not is to be determined.
“On the schedule” means very little right now, in my opinion. Everyone’s schedule and equipment for summer 2020 is barely plausible fiction until we get closer in. I don’t think it’s a positive sign that BA is sending them to the same graveyard that LH and AF use.

https://simpleflying.com/british-air...aft-graveyard/
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
BA isn’t flying 747s or A380s (and may never fly them again). The 777s with new J also gets a knockoff of 789 F, and the cabin is now 8F.

Not to act like our resident nit-picker, but as I remember the BA lounge rules, OWE are indeed entitled to Flounge access, but only BA F pax are entitled to Concorde Room access. So there is a small additional perk for flying BA metal. A related annoying policy is QR's: they have premium lounges at DOH for own-metal Business and First pax and a separate offering for OWS/OWE that is not as nice. As a Y and W flyer who really loves the lounge access perk, this is disappointing.

On a distantly-related note, BA J and F pax can get a free massage treatment at the Elemis spa; OWS/OWE pax can only get a shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.