Wiki Posts
Search

AS BoA VISA Inactivity

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
AS BoA VISA Inactivity

Didn't find a dedicated AS VISA thread so posting this as a new one.

I was just closing down some cards across different programs. When I got to BoA I closed a couple AS cards I have and kept one very old one open. The representative noted I was not using the card much and that BoA is getting more aggressive about closing accounts for inactivity. I am not sure if that is bluster to drive some spend to them. But to be safe I moved a small recurring charge to it. (This card is my oldest credit card, so I want to preserve that for credit score purposes.)
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw

I was just closing down some cards across different programs. When I got to BoA I closed a couple AS cards I have and kept one very old one open. The representative noted I was not using the card much and that BoA is getting more aggressive about closing accounts for inactivity. I am not sure if that is bluster to drive some spend to them. But to be safe I moved a small recurring charge to it. (This card is my oldest credit card, so I want to preserve that for credit score purposes.)
I am still using mine so not an issue but a friend of mine told me he got the same line so something is going on. He said they also "threatened" to either close it down or cut his limit in half. At this point he said he requested that the card be cancelled AT THE HOLDER REQUEST as he didn't want to have a canceled CC on his credit rating that was canceled by the bank.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks for the heads up, not surprised BoA would be doing this with the current climate.
be_rettSEA and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the heads up, not surprised BoA would be doing this with the current climate.
I don't really get the Alaska Visa. The big benefits it offers are a) the $99 companion fare, b) free checked bags if you don't have elite status, and c) BofA has lots of civic organizations where it gets you free entry. I prefer the AS product to Hawaii, so keep it for the $99 companion fare and occasional free museum visit. Comparing this to my fancy United card or Amex Platinum? Silly. Just don't get why AS offers such a basic product with such mediocre customer service.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire

Was there any mention of what they consider to be too infrequent? I have more than one card but put most of my charges on just one of them. I might also need to move some monthly charges to the other two.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I think my card had not seen a charge in over a year.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I think my card had not seen a charge in over a year.
I have one that hasn't been charged in almost that long. Thanks for the PSA!
williwaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.