Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS suspends flights to/from PDX & GEG through 9/15 due to wildfire smoke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...R_Regional#pdx

Travel to/from Portland (PDX)

Alaska Airlines began the temporary suspension of all flights to and from Portland on Monday, September 14, 2020 as the Pacific Northwest continues to battle intense wildfires and hazardous air quality. The flight suspensions are expected to last until 3 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15, 2020.

Travel to/from Spokane (GEG)

Alaska Airlines began the temporary suspension of all flights to and from Spokane on Monday, September 14, 2020 as the Pacific Northwest continues to battle intense wildfires and hazardous air quality. The flight suspensions are expected to last until 3 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15, 2020.

News story here, and includes cancellations but apparently not a complete shutdown of ALW, EUG, MFR, PSC, and RDM.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ire-smoke.html
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:16 pm

Great now im stuck in Seattle overnight after flying in from MCO later tonight, does Alaska typically provide overnight accommodations in situations like this? If so, how does the process work (i land in 3 hours). I have travel delay insurance should nothing be provided.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Great now im stuck in Seattle overnight after flying in from MCO later tonight, does Alaska typically provide overnight accommodations in situations like this? If so, how does the process work (i land in 3 hours). I have travel delay insurance should nothing be provided.
Not likely, since it’s weather-related.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
AS won't, since it's weather. And you're going to be stuck longer than that, there's a few seats still available on Wed.

Rent a car.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Calculon
Not likely, since it’s weather-related.
As airlines put it, "an act of God" and apparently God told them not to provide passengers with hotel rooms
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are any other carriers, such as DL, flying from SEA to your destination? You seem to be up in the air on the way to SEA so re-routing wouldn't be an option.

BTW, do you really want to fly into a region where there are wildfires and smoke? Some stuff will be closed, and people with breathing problems, allergies, etc. should certainly try to either stay away to plan to remain indoors as much as possible. You could declare a trip in vain upon arrival at SEA and be rebooked back to MCO on the first available flight.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are any other carriers, such as DL, flying from SEA to your destination? You seem to be up in the air on the way to SEA so re-routing wouldn't be an option.

BTW, do you really want to fly into a region where there are wildfires and smoke? Some stuff will be closed, and people with breathing problems, allergies, etc. should certainly try to either stay away to plan to remain indoors as much as possible. You could declare a trip in vain upon arrival at SEA and be rebooked back to MCO on the first available flight.
I do, because i live there. It appears other carriers are flying, as Alaska is currently the only one canceling their flights. Could attempt a early delta flight, but think driving is my best bet.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The 9:45am train from King Street station in Seattle is still on the schedule at $36 one way to Portland.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd put even money on the cancellations being extended through Wednesday - the rain that was on the schedule for Monday night/Tuesday seems to have been pushed back to Thursday thunderstorms. Given the way the smoke has been, I doubt it will be any better Tuesday evening than it is right now on Monday. I can't say I blame them - when I flew in this past Thursday evening, as soon as we hit about 10K feet the smoke coming in made the cabin environment eye-watering. It improved a little around 5K feet, and I think the AQI in SW Portland when I arrived was in the 400s. It's been in the 400s and 500s since I got here, dipping into the 300s only a few times. If it's worse at altitude, it's a reasonable safety & comfort measure to cancel flights.

So far this year I've had to reschedule flights from PDX to LA because of civil unrest in LA (*not* PDX) because while I would have been allowed to fly into LAX, I had no reliable way to get home with Uber and Lyft not running during the curfew. Now it's likely I'll have to reschedule because of smoke from apocalyptic forest fires. I'm betting that by Thanksgiving I'll have to reschedule because of a 200 ft fire-breathing lizard coming up out of the ocean in either PDX or LA.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rustykettel

News story here, and includes cancellations but apparently not a complete shutdown of ALW, EUG, MFR, PSC, and RDM.

I don't blame Alaska at all for not making their employees work in this stuff, but the linked story notes that "the Port of Portland, which runs the airport, said no other airline has taken a similar step yet."

I do wonder if the Q400s have particular smoke issues vs. other airlines regional jets.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
People on the plane behind me today were taking an unexpected RT today as their onward flight was canceled and AS was able to get them back to OAK right away.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Looks like Yakima and Wenatchee are getting cancellations, too.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I'd put even money on the cancellations being extended through Wednesday - the rain that was on the schedule for Monday night/Tuesday seems to have been pushed back to Thursday thunderstorms. Given the way the smoke has been, I doubt it will be any better Tuesday evening than it is right now on Monday. I can't say I blame them - when I flew in this past Thursday evening, as soon as we hit about 10K feet the smoke coming in made the cabin environment eye-watering. It improved a little around 5K feet, and I think the AQI in SW Portland when I arrived was in the 400s. It's been in the 400s and 500s since I got here, dipping into the 300s only a few times. If it's worse at altitude, it's a reasonable safety & comfort measure to cancel flights.

So far this year I've had to reschedule flights from PDX to LA because of civil unrest in LA (*not* PDX) because while I would have been allowed to fly into LAX, I had no reliable way to get home with Uber and Lyft not running during the curfew. Now it's likely I'll have to reschedule because of smoke from apocalyptic forest fires. I'm betting that by Thanksgiving I'll have to reschedule because of a 200 ft fire-breathing lizard coming up out of the ocean in either PDX or LA.

Dont they talk about using state of the art filters to clean 99.9% of air. If you eyes are burning from the smoke how much is it filtering out?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Dont they talk about using state of the art filters to clean 99.9% of air. If you eyes are burning from the smoke how much is it filtering out?
There didn't seem to be any smoke inside of PDX as on Sunday so I'm guessing it's for the health of employees on the ground? It's odd that they waited to do this after several days of equally, and even one day of worse, air quality.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Conflipper
Only on the Boeings and the Airbus planes. They don't say anything about the e175 or the Q400.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.