Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Do non-revs have to answer the COVID-19 questions during check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do non-revs have to answer the COVID-19 questions during check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, I would wager this was a lot less about COVID and a lot more about a bad hangover.

As for the questions, if someone has already decided they’re going to fly, would they really answer the questions in such a way that would make it seem like they’re anything less than completely healthy? I equate these questions to the same level of usefulness as the questions about hazmat in your luggage.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, I would wager this was a lot less about COVID and a lot more about a bad hangover.

As for the questions, if someone has already decided they’re going to fly, would they really answer the questions in such a way that would make it seem like they’re anything less than completely healthy? I equate these questions to the same level of usefulness as the questions about hazmat in your luggage.
Yeah, I doubt it was a hangover since she seemed (to me) to be perfectly healthy a few hours earlier on the flight she was working. I also realize folks who may feel sick may be less than truthful on that survey if they want to get where they are going bad enough, but I was curious if non-revs even had to take the survey in the first place (and I'm guessing the answer is no).
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yeah, I doubt it was a hangover since she seemed (to me) to be perfectly healthy a few hours earlier on the flight she was working. I also realize folks who may feel sick may be less than truthful on that survey if they want to get where they are going bad enough, but I was curious if non-revs even had to take the survey in the first place (and I'm guessing the answer is no).
So was this a nonrev or a deadhead?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
So was this a nonrev or a deadhead?
I am going on the assumption that this was a non-rev, but I could be wrong. Since this crew started with me back in PDX, I am also assuming they were overnighting in AUS and flying out the next day which made me wonder what AS does in these situations where you have a sick crew member mid-trip. I doubt AUS is a FA base so wouldn't they have to deadhead someone to AUS or just cancel the flight?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Sounds like a deadhead.

In theory the FA should have self-identified as sick in AUS, and gotten a hotel and taken herself off the flight. But in fairness to her, I can understand why she didn’t. She was (presumably) feeling fine that morning, worked two flights, and is now starting to feel ill. She’s in a strange city with no friends and no support system, and has an illness of unknown duration and severity coming on. The desire to get back to the nest is a pretty strong one, and can cause one to say ‘well I’m not _that_ sick’

That’s why I’d complain to the DOT — the crew needs to have the power to take her off.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dordal
Sounds like a deadhead.

In theory the FA should have self-identified as sick in AUS, and gotten a hotel and taken herself off the flight. But in fairness to her, I can understand why she didn’t. She was (presumably) feeling fine that morning, worked two flights, and is now starting to feel ill. She’s in a strange city with no friends and no support system, and has an illness of unknown duration and severity coming on. The desire to get back to the nest is a pretty strong one, and can cause one to say ‘well I’m not _that_ sick’

That’s why I’d complain to the DOT — the crew needs to have the power to take her off.
Yeah, I agree 100% about crew empowerment in this case and never considered the possibility that this could be a union contract issue.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was curious if non-revs even had to take the survey in the first place (and I'm guessing the answer is no).
As I stated earlier, SA take the Covid check-in survey just like revs. So the answer is yes, non-revs take the survey.
​​​
Edit: the non-rev check-in workflow even surveys dress code.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
A PAX vomiting next to you is certainly concerning, upsetting but to draw the conclusion they were carrying a contagious life threatening disease is a bit of a leap. It could have been anything from a hangover, to a migraine, to pregnancy morning sickness in case of a female, food alergy reaction or any of a number of stomach churning issues which donnot endanger other human life. I would have moved and if asked by new row mate, decribed the situation. This covid thing has made everyone unneasy for sure.
SSF556 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:48 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by asimegusta
A PAX vomiting next to you is certainly concerning, upsetting but to draw the conclusion they were carrying a contagious life threatening disease is a bit of a leap. It could have been anything from a hangover, to a migraine, to pregnancy morning sickness in case of a female, food alergy reaction or any of a number of stomach churning issues which donnot endanger other human life. I would have moved and if asked by new row mate, decribed the situation. This covid thing has made everyone unneasy for sure.
This x100.

Did anyone engage the passenger, even though she is an employee, she is still a human being and ask if there was anything they could do to help? If I get Migraines and don't get a chance to close my eyes/lay down I sometimes throw up.

This Covid stuff is really warping us as a society. We ca't run and cower forever.
cmd320 and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asimegusta
Agreed, and beyond that, vomiting isn’t really a very common symptom of CV. That doesn’t mean I want someone vomiting next to me, but CV would certainly not be the first thing I’d jump to.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'd be more concerned about them working and serving you while sick, not deadheading while sick. This person was fine on that flight but sick on the next one?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The questions are irrelevant. What is relevant is that an individual exhibiting symptoms was permitted to board and remain aboard a commercial aircraft operating in the US. The insipid questions are simply there for clueless passengers and there should be no reason to ask an employee. The employee should have been -- and likely was -- trained to self-report and isolate pending medical attention.

Hence the reason to report it to AS and DOT, even though the flight itself is in the past.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:23 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
What is relevant is that an individual exhibiting symptoms was permitted to board and remain aboard a commercial aircraft operating in the US.
Rapid onset nausea isn’t a typical symptom of COVID-19.
SSF556 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena
Should have spoken up at the first signs you saw, not days later online.
Ah, the old "speak now, or forever hold your peace" rebuttal.

Wouldn't flyertalk be so much better if the only commentary allowed was that made by those experiencing the very issue at the very moment they were posting it?
be_rettSEA and anteater like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by SSF556
This x100.

Did anyone engage the passenger, even though she is an employee, she is still a human being and ask if there was anything they could do to help? If I get Migraines and don't get a chance to close my eyes/lay down I sometimes throw up.

This Covid stuff is really warping us as a society. We ca't run and cower forever.
So it's OK to board somebody who's contagious with the flu, and seat them next to people for 3.5 hours? Or potentially contagious with any other number of diseases? Given especially that she worked two flights that morning, it's unlikely to be a hangover, morning sickness, etc. It's not necessarily a deadly contagious disease, COVID or otherwise, but she's still likely to be somebody who shouldn't be flying. And that's on the crew -- as I said above, she should self-report, but there's lots of reasons why one might rationalize the issue away and not correctly self-report.
writerguyfl and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.