Wiki Posts
Search

SDC Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
SDC Question

I forgot how same-day confirm works for 75K? It’s been years since I got into this situation. What I always do is book the cheapest flight for the day I’m traveling, and there’s always standby for the flight that I want, and I change it for a SDC. But I have a flight from Seattle to Palm Springs with a stop in SFO. Does this disqualify me from getting a SDC on a non-stop straight SEA-PSP?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a regular AS customer, but this is what I got from Googling. As with other airlines, agents will have more flexibility under certain conditions (notably IRROPs).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I forgot how same-day confirm works for 75K? It’s been years since I got into this situation. What I always do is book the cheapest flight for the day I’m traveling, and there’s always standby for the flight that I want, and I change it for a SDC. But I have a flight from Seattle to Palm Springs with a stop in SFO. Does this disqualify me from getting a SDC on a non-stop straight SEA-PSP?
I think technically the rules state that you would have to follow the same routing, but I've had success in changing routing to add a stop / remove a stop in the past, if I'm recalling correctly. Give AS a call when you're at the T-24 hr mark and see what the agent is able to do.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
This should work as long as your origin and destination are the same and there is space on the flight you are hoping to switch to.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I've typically had very good luck with AS in terms of SDC flexibility ... added/deleted a PDX connection on SEA-LA/SD/SF/DC trips in one direction or the other more than a few times, incl several as MVPG
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Official policy is same origin, same distination on the same date (unless the flight departs between midnight & 4 am which allows a change to the prior day), co-terminals are not included. It is written into fare rules.

Outside the policy/fare rules, AS is generally very accommodating for Elites.

James
pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As with website link above, fare rules say SDC must have same connection/thru-city, but I guess this isn't enforced very much. Fare rules mention a few exceptions where co-terminal changes are allowed.

D. SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE AVAILABLE ONLY
FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS -SAME ORIGIN / DESTINATION/
CONNECTION / THRU CITY IF APPLICABLE . CHANGES
BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE ALLOWED FOR SFO/OAK/SJC
AND LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT AND PAE/SEA.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
That’s what I thought I remembered most agents don’t care and will help a 75K.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:50 pm

Another SDC question for those with more expertise in this area:

Award travel (mixed itinerary) booked in "Partner Business" with short segment in AS economy and long segment in AA business. Would a SDC (75K) to a direct flight (if the agent can or is willing to do it) be in economy or first (if space is available of course)? Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by halamadrid

Award travel (mixed itinerary) booked in "Partner Business" with short segment in AS economy and long segment in AA business. Would a SDC (75K) to a direct flight (if the agent can or is willing to do it) be in economy or first (if space is available of course)? Thanks.
The odds that A space (award F) is available resembles lottery odds, but sure, if it’s available and they let you SDC they can put you in it. Wouldn’t hold my breath though. Usually U (upgrade F) is available close in and A is not.
halamadrid likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halamadrid

Even on awards, MP Elites are eligible for complimentary upgrades. They are last to get upgraded in their tier hierarchy. However, as a 75K, you would be upgraded on an award ticket before any MVPG, even on a revenue ticket? I have a 100% upgrade success on award tickets where I was confirmed in Saver W Main. It is a small dataset though as I am usually confirmed in Saver A when I book my awards.

If, on the day, AS allows an Elite courtesy SDC to a non-stop from a connection, you would be added to the upgrade waitlist of the new flight.

If you are asking if you can SDC to another flight and be confirmed into F on the strength of the Buiness/First award redemption. The answer is no.

Since there are no change fees on awards for a Gold Level Elite (or for that matter anyone, with current waivers) you could simply change your ticket now to the non-stop option if it is valid on the routing, and Saver W is available. You can even do that online. Of course, if Saver W is not available (AS uses fare class N for dynamic award pricing between Saver W & Refundable Z) your only option would be to request a SDC, or more accurately, a change on the same day, as the request doesn't fit the SDC requirements.

To be eligible for a SDC, you must be holding confirmed reservations and tickets for flights operated by Alaska Airlines. Award & Revenue tickets are not differntially treated. Additionally, there need only be available space on the new flight, the fare class originally purchased and fare bucket availability on the new flight is irrelavent.

James
halamadrid, pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 12, 2020 at 9:41 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The odds that A space (award F) is available resembles lottery odds, but sure, if it’s available and they let you SDC they can put you in it. Wouldn’t hold my breath though. Usually U (upgrade F) is available close in and A is not.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

If, on the day, AS allows an Elite courtesy SDC to a non-stop from a connection, you would be added to the upgrade waitlist of the new flight.

If you are asking if you can SDC to another flight and be confirmed into F on the strength of the Buiness/First award redemption. The answer is no.

James
Thank you both. I'm not dead set on trying and it was not my plan when I was booking, but just wanted to know in case I wanted to go direct instead when the time for my flights come. I'm not too upset about the stop since the AA transcon has a better hard product than AS First and then it's a short connection where I would probably be upgraded (from experience). I generally (I guess almost never) use my miles for AS economy flights so haven't had too much exposure to upgrades on awards.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:12 pm

Similar SDC question.. if there is a connecting itinerary for less miles in F (40k) than a nonstop (70k), could I theoretically book the connection and SDC to the nonstop if there is still space in F? The routing with the connection forces an overnight in SFO so the arrival date would change, but the origin and destination would stay the same. Anyone know if this would work, theoretically?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I've done it a few times--booked a cheaper itinerary with a stop using a super cheap F fare and then called in to do a SDC for the nonstop. In fact, I have one on the books now, which I'll be trying in November. Of course, the probability of success may be lower if the F cabin can only be filled to 50% capacity.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
I've done it a few times--booked a cheaper itinerary with a stop using a super cheap F fare and then called in to do a SDC for the nonstop. In fact, I have one on the books now, which I'll be trying in November. Of course, the probability of success may be lower if the F cabin can only be filled to 50% capacity.
Just coming back to confirm it worked at T-24 hr from the original booking. Thankfully there were still 3 F seats for sale, but I'd been monitoring flight loads the past few days to keep an eye on it anyhow.
Bellerina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.