Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska visa refused to credit me annual fee. PLEASE HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

My $75 renewal annual fee Alaska visa (b of A) charged on 6/30. On 7/4 there was an automatic charge for $6 to Ooma. I cancelled the card on 7/27. Representative said $75 will credit back to my account.
now 9/4 and fee is still there. I called them today. They said $75 annual fee stand since there was a charge after annual fee posted.
I never heard of such thing exists. I have Amex, chase... Usually they will credit your annual fee if you called them within 30 days.
can someone please help me. TIA

Last edited by tiffany; Sep 4, 2020 at 8:21 pm
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
There is not going to be anything folks on this group can do. While it is co-branded with Alaska Airlines, the card is issued and maintained with Bank of America. Only they can address the issue. I would try another representative or file a CFPB complaint.
tiffany, dc333 and KevPNW like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hang up and call again, speak nicely to a different rep.
tiffany, philemer and pcoll like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
BofA is a SOB that is so difficult to deal with.

Good luck.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

BofA's policy is that fee nonrefundable. Outside of a time-consuming, one-man crusade, your prospects are dim. Maybe a customer service gesture if you have other BofA accounts.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I’m angry cause representative in July said $75 will credit to my account next statement. Now this happened. They lied. If I know I wouldn’t cancel the card.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
BofA's policy is that fee nonrefundable. Outside of a time-consuming, one-man crusade, your prospects are dim. Maybe a customer service gesture if you have other BofA accounts.
Hi dayone, how many day after annual fee posted that you have to cancel the card to have annual fee back? I called them when I have the statement. Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You used the new card. While it might have been a recurring payment, it is a recurring payment which you authorized and should have redirected to a new card if you were going to cancel the BOA card.

The best you are going to do here is to send a note (webform is fine), noting that you were told on July 27 that the fee would be credited and are now being told that it will not be. Don't expect anything to happen and understand that you don't have a leg to stand on because you used the card. Thus, if you do get a credit it will be as a customer service gesture.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You used the new card. While it might have been a recurring payment, it is a recurring payment which you authorized and should have redirected to a new card if you were going to cancel the BOA card.

The best you are going to do here is to send a note (webform is fine), noting that you were told on July 27 that the fee would be credited and are now being told that it will not be. Don't expect anything to happen and understand that you don't have a leg to stand on because you used the card. Thus, if you do get a credit it will be as a customer service gesture.
this is not a new card. This is renewal fee for 2nd year.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

Or the CSR provided incorrect information to the OP and the credit is issued based on the providers misinformation to "save grace." The misinformation was "cause" for OPs action which may have been different had s/he been correctly informed.

I would speak to a supervisor and request that they pull the conversation. The last time I requested a CC closure, I was read a "disclaimer" to which I had to agree to with a spoken "yes." A verbal signature. Wether a document, signed, e-signed or a digital audio file, I anticipate they are retained for a lot longer than a few months.

James
KevPNW likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
And yet when I called to cancel my card yesterday and asked them to refund the fee they did.
KevPNW likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by tiffany
They said $75 annual fee stand since there was a charge after annual fee posted.
I never heard of such thing exists.
That's because there is no such thing. If you cancel within 30 days from the closing date of the statement where the fee appears, they have to give it back.
Deltahater and KevPNW like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Maybe ask them to re-open the card... since you paid the fee... if they refuse to credit the fee. Meanwhile better pay the fee... then fight later.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:45 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by UserMark
That's because there is no such thing. If you cancel within 30 days from the closing date of the statement where the fee appears, they have to give it back.
That may not be true if the card is used in the thirty-day period.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:41 am

That may not be true if the card is used in the thirty-day period.
No, there's no such rule. Someone made it up.
KevPNW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.