Wiki Posts
Search

No Cancel Fees Now Bumped to 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
No Cancel Fees Now Bumped to 12/31/2020

I just noticed the change a few minutes ago.

Worked out perfectly because I need to wait for my companion cert to book a Hawaii trip for next year.
ab2013 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:21 pm

Wonder what Hawaii travel looks like heading into 2021. I fear not so good.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Wonder what Hawaii travel looks like heading into 2021. I fear not so good.
The situation with AS to the Islands is now horrible. I just canceled a SFO-SEA-HNL-KOA flight for obvious reasons as UA still flies direct SFO-KOA although on a reduced schedule. While I had planned to move most if not all my business over to AS from UA the current schedule is horrible. And while there is no change fee canceled flights go into your "wallet" which right now is my case is bulging with cash...not a good thing. So like it or not I will use up my wallet on perhaps a few flights in and out of SEA but sadly it looks like I am now back to UA (at least in the foreseeable future).
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS
Question.... I cancelled flight yesterday and part of the fare was a Customer Care Discount Code for $50.00. I called to have flight cancelled because I wanted discount code returned to my account. Agent agreed to have Discount certificate returned to account.
How long does this process take??
As an aside, I was charged $250.00 on another cancellation recently.(did not think it would actually be charged, but did).
Cancelled within the 24 hours - agent did say it would take 7- 10 days for charge to get reversed to credit card.
thanks
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Question.... I cancelled flight yesterday and part of the fare was a Customer Care Discount Code for $50.00. I called to have flight cancelled because I wanted discount code returned to my account. Agent agreed to have Discount certificate returned to account.
How long does this process take??
As an aside, I was charged $250.00 on another cancellation recently.(did not think it would actually be charged, but did).
Cancelled within the 24 hours - agent did say it would take 7- 10 days for charge to get reversed to credit card.
thanks
It took about 3-5 days to get my code returned, in one case.
In another case I had to chat after 2 weeks when the code didn't return, and then it was fixed in 3-5 days
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
On award tickets book on or before Sep 8, 2020, Alaska cancellation page says it can be cancelled without fee, with credit to my account wallet. So, basically, do get miles back, and the fees ($5.60) get credit to your Alaska account? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I just want to be sure.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:39 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by opus2002
On award tickets book on or before Sep 8, 2020, Alaska cancellation page says it can be cancelled without fee, with credit to my account wallet. So, basically, do get miles back, and the fees ($5.60) get credit to your Alaska account? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I just want to be sure.
You get the miles back, and taxes are refunded to the original form of payment.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 5:37 pm

Had to do change partner emirates award, online the $125 was still being charged. Had to call in to get it waived, which always makes me nervous because i have to feed them the international flight info for the change and can never be sure they are picking the exact segment i want.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I know for Saver fares, the fee is refundable to My Wallet, but if you purchase a PE seat, is that also refundable as well? I assume yes, since neither would be refundable in normal circumstances, but looking for data points.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
You get the miles back, and taxes are refunded to the original form of payment.
I just want to double check this since I am still within 24 hours. I just redeemed for an award on BA and so the taxes and surcharges are not insignificant. The waiver page mentions only credit to “wallet” or for a “credit certificate”. Is it clear I can get a mileage redeposit with no fee and a return of the taxes and surcharges to my credit card if I cancel before flight time?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
I just want to double check this since I am still within 24 hours. I just redeemed for an award on BA and so the taxes and surcharges are not insignificant. The waiver page mentions only credit to “wallet” or for a “credit certificate”. Is it clear I can get a mileage redeposit with no fee and a return of the taxes and surcharges to my credit card if I cancel before flight time?
The waiver page is ambiguous. You cannot pay for the fess & taxes with wallet funds. Changes & Cancelations are paid back to the original form of payment, which is to your credit card.

I recently changed an EK award booked in January which resulted in a $16.85 credit. That was automatically processed and credited to my CC with overnight processing. No agent intervention.

James
lkar likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
UA permanently eliminating change fees for domestic travel (except for basic economy tix): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html
DL matching the policy: https://news.delta.com/building-its-...es-change-fees

Good to see - hopefully AS matches!
pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by ab2013; Aug 31, 2020 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I hope AS doesn’t completely match, because UA won’t refund any fare if it goes down, so if the fare drops from $200 to $100 when you make your change you get $0. Matching would be a LOSS for Golds and 75Ks, who can take advantage of fare drops (just like you can on WN).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I hope AS doesn’t completely match, because UA won’t refund any fare if it goes down, so if the fare drops from $200 to $100 when you make your change you get $0. Matching would be a LOSS for Golds and 75Ks, who can take advantage of fare drops (just like you can on WN).
Well, UA has a special way of dealing with customers /s - one would have to pay me to get on a UA plane.

DL usually offers a eCredit for the balance, although the last time I did this (COVID-era), DL actually gave me a partial refund when I swapped for a lower priced ticket after the RiskFree cancellation period expired (on a nonrefundable ticket), although I'm not sure how common that is.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
With the elimination of the change fees announced today, it's important to note that this policy (including Saver tickets) has been extended through December 31, 2020.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...es-change-fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.