Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

In the News: 'Threatening Passenger' on AS422

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

We ourselves haven't been on a flight since mid-March. I can only imagine settling in on board Saturday night and thinking that life may finally be getting back to normal...

Alaska Airlines plane forced to land in Seattle after passenger threatens to kill everyone

Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Fredd
We ourselves haven't been on a flight since mid-March. I can only imagine settling in on board Saturday night and thinking that life may finally be getting back to normal...

Alaska Airlines plane forced to land in Seattle after passenger threatens to kill everyone

I landed at SEA at literally the exact same time as that flight landed back at SEA. I never noticed a thing.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is this the only red-eye that still exists?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is this the only red-eye that still exists?
Nope.

Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:48 pm

red eyes now to/from Anchorage, Fairbanks, Orlando, Chicago, Philadelphia - and soon to Tampa and Baltimore as well.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
red eyes now to/from Anchorage, Fairbanks, Orlando, Chicago, Philadelphia - and soon to Tampa and Baltimore as well.
Looks like the Orlando red-eye goes away starting August 1st.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
For anybody interested, the U.K.'s Daily Mail article includes more details, photos, and a short video.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
For anybody interested, the U.K.'s Daily Mail article includes more details, photos, and a short video.
This is a dreadful incident, but had to chuckle at the thought of the Daily Mail, 10 time zones (?) away, being right off the bat with this story...
The PI and KOMO also have coverage, albeit without the video. Perhaps because some of the UK tabloids do pay their sources for cellphone videos!

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo...e-15404427.php
https://komonews.com/news/local/alas...-kill-everyone
Fredd likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I flew back to SEA from ORD the following morning, and I wouldn't be surprised if this incident the night before had something to do with the 6:15 AM ORD/SEA flight on 7/12 (AS423) being cancelled and its passengers being loaded onto my flight, AS27 departing ORD at 8AM. (Short a flight crew at ORD, perhaps?)

The flight was 100% full. A 38-row A321, completely full. There was clearly a bit of nervous tension, but at least no one was threatening to kill everyone else in the name of their preferred deity. At least there's that.

Also: There was no email or any communication at the gate that the flight would be over 67% full. I had no idea this was happening until people started filling in what had been empty middle seats near the end of boarding.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:10 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
... (Short a flight crew at ORD, perhaps?)
the FAs might work the redeye turn (I experienced this on a DL 757, ATL-ONT-ATL, about 10 years back), but I’d be seriously surprised to see pilots doing it
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
the FAs might work the redeye turn (I experienced this on a DL 757, ATL-ONT-ATL, about 10 years back), but I’d be seriously surprised to see pilots doing it
on this particular flight the FA's don't do the turn, but I think the flight cancelled in SEA after this happened - based on the news reports.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by jrl767
Aye, just my own speculation as to why the earlier flight might have been cancelled. I do know that a number of passengers booked on that flight didn't find out about the cancellation until they'd reached the airport, but I'm not sure when it was officially axed. Could be it was just the SEA/ORD corridor's turn for a bizarro weekend.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Standard response: in addition to criminal penalties I hope the culprit will be required to pay compensation to AS and each and every passenger impacted by the cancellation and delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.