Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JetBlue to Challenge AS at LAX in October 2020 - LAX Is B6's New Focus City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue to Challenge AS at LAX in October 2020 - LAX Is B6's New Focus City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
A bunch of those are repositioning flights between hubs, where your choice is a) have the plane out of position when you need maintenance or fleet rotation (the intended way you use the plane is a rotation of something like AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-AAA), b) fly it empty to where it should be, or c) add some passengers on a domestic leg, because why not in preference to a) and b). There can also be some utilization reasons, like adding a short leg to help with getting maximum utilization (East Coast-MCO is a good example as a way to get additional flight hours utilization on top of a East Coast-Hawaii flight) or make it so you don't have too many planes at your hub occupying gates all at once.

(I also suspect UA/AC/CX do their "cram them in" 777s because they have the plane anyway, they're going to try and get something out of it. It's that or beer cans.)

If it really made sense to run widebodies on shorthaul except for some one-off scenarios and corner cases in the USA, Europe or Asia, LCCs would buy them used (there are plenty of them out there- you could easily have a fleet of cheap secondhand 747s doing LCC low frequency "stuff the plane" Y service). They don't. They use narrowbodies. That's because landing fees are markedly higher (based on weight), fuel burn is higher, staffing is higher. An environment that has reduced business travel is going to be one where revenue from that travel is seriously impacted, and airline cost has to come down because the revenue that supports higher cost structure is gone.

So I would expect the legacies to move towards what LCCs do as a response to lower business demand that makes them more dependent on VFR or general tourism travel: more seasonal service to locations, less than daily service, less emphasis on F cabins, cram everyone in.
You're looking at this from the context of what air travel was like previously. Not from the direction it is headed. Yes historically (for the last decade or so) airlines shifted away from domestic widebody use towards higher frequency on narrowbodies, but you yourself have said you don't expect business travel to recover for some time meaning the need for high frequency is gone.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Sometimes the answer isn't in the Flyertalk Obvious Department. While I can't speak for any particular airline on any particular route, there are three factors at play with respect to the widebodies:

1) The plane would be sitting around all day, and there is less loss, or maybe even a little profit by having a domestic tag.
2) Pilots need takeoff/landing experience. This has been an issue with respect to widebody flying, where a pilot may only be flying a handful of longhaul trips in any given time period, there are three in the cockpit, and there is very little opportunity to keep up the required inflight experience.
3) Cargo, cargo, cargo. MIA is a huge port of entry for perishables from Latin America (as are LAX and various other airports).

As for how any of this is related to the B6 Invasion of LAX and how it means the beginning of the end of every other airline serving LAX, I'm sure it does somehow.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
You're looking at this from the context of what air travel was like previously. Not from the direction it is headed. Yes historically (for the last decade or so) airlines shifted away from domestic widebody use towards higher frequency on narrowbodies, but you yourself have said you don't expect business travel to recover for some time meaning the need for high frequency is gone.
It's not just a matter of high frequency, it's a matter of cost and seats in the market.

But even if you swapped out gauge to keep the seats constant and reduce frequency, it would be pretty insane to replace 960 seats that are 8 737 flights with 600 seats that are 2 777s instead of 5 737s (if that's what you felt demand called for, about a 1/3rd drop in seats in this market). That 777 has something like 6-8 times the weight of a 737. The landing fee per seat is higher. Again, those are costs that you have to recover in fares or eat on profit margin. Meanwhile an all narrowbody fleet (WN, AS, B6) gets to capture the savings.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As for how any of this is related to the B6 Invasion of LAX and how it means the beginning of the end of every other airline serving LAX, I'm sure it does somehow.
I hear B6 going to invade LAX with A380s...
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sometimes the answer isn't in the Flyertalk Obvious Department. While I can't speak for any particular airline on any particular route, there are three factors at play with respect to the widebodies:

1) The plane would be sitting around all day, and there is less loss, or maybe even a little profit by having a domestic tag.
2) Pilots need takeoff/landing experience. This has been an issue with respect to widebody flying, where a pilot may only be flying a handful of longhaul trips in any given time period, there are three in the cockpit, and there is very little opportunity to keep up the required inflight experience.
3) Cargo, cargo, cargo. MIA is a huge port of entry for perishables from Latin America (as are LAX and various other airports).

All factors no doubt. And I agree this digression is not really relevant to B6 at LAX.

It's not just a matter of high frequency, it's a matter of cost and seats in the market.

But even if you swapped out gauge to keep the seats constant and reduce frequency, it would be pretty insane to replace 960 seats that are 8 737 flights with 600 seats that are 2 777s instead of 5 737s (if that's what you felt demand called for, about a 1/3rd drop in seats in this market). That 777 has something like 6-8 times the weight of a 737. The landing fee per seat is higher. Again, those are costs that you have to recover in fares or eat on profit margin. Meanwhile an all narrowbody fleet (WN, AS, B6) gets to capture the savings.
Having more aircraft on your roster = more cost
5 x 737s = 10 pilots as you pointed out earlier, 2 777s = 4 pilots

Yes, simplifying to an all narrow body fleet offers some cost savings in certain areas but most airlines have larger fleets of aircraft to pull from. AA/DL/UA aren't going to drop all of their widebody aircraft to streamline to 737/A320 fleets, at some point intercontinental flying will pick up again.

I hear B6 going to invade LAX with A380s...
One could only hope, though that would create a much larger gate issue than B6 already faces at LAX.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
That's the great part. I don't need to do anything. LAWA is doing all the work.

https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2...t-hub-airport/
“Passenger traffic is currently down at historic levels, so gate availability is not a concern at this time, nor do we anticipate it to be a concern any time soon,” said Heath Montgomery, spokesman for Los Angeles World Airports, the city agency that runs LAX.

These circumstances have made it easier for JetBlue to expand its flight roster at the airport. By 2025, the airline hopes to operate 75 flights per day out of the airport, more than three times its current level, including international routes and flights to locations that currently are not served out of LAX.

“With support from LAWA, we plan to embark on a meaningful expansion over the next five years and are confident necessary gate space will be available,” airline spokesman Stewart said in an email.

You don't make this kind of comments without some additional knowledge. The ULCCs are moving to MSC. JetBlue will either have preferential access of those gates left behind or CUTE access.
Lots of aspirational plans with soft words. Let’s return to this topic after leases are signed and schedules are published.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, simplifying to an all narrow body fleet offers some cost savings in certain areas but most airlines have larger fleets of aircraft to pull from. AA/DL/UA aren't going to drop all of their widebody aircraft to streamline to 737/A320 fleets, at some point intercontinental flying will pick up again.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying intercontinental travel will be reduced and widebodies won't be repurposed to domestic.

https://news.delta.com/deltas-777-ai...-amid-covid-19
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not saying that. I'm saying intercontinental travel will be reduced and widebodies won't be repurposed to domestic.

https://news.delta.com/deltas-777-ai...-amid-covid-19
Both will happen, in fact both are already happening. The 777 fleet at DL was small and a bit of an oddball fleet with two different aircraft types and two different engine types across 18 aircraft. Removing that type from service makes sense for DL.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like some airline with an Eskimo on the tail is responding to the challenge.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...k-in-dec-2020/

Los Angeles – Cancuneff 17DEC20 1 daily 737-800, Subject to Government Approval. (Last served until June 2010)
AS440 LAX0700 – 1430CUN 73H D
AS441 CUN1540 – 1810LAX 73H D

Los Angeles – Renoeff 17DEC20 1 daily E175 (Horizon; Last served until April 2011)
AS2143 LAX1935 – 2109RNO E75 D
AS2555 RNO0800 – 0937LAX E75 D

Selected routes will also see frequency increases from 17DEC20:
Los Angeles – Boise Increase from 2 to 3 daily
Los Angeles – Guadalajara Increase from 1 to 2 daily (737-800 replaces -900ER)
Los Angeles – Salt Lake City Increase from 1 to 2 daily
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Hasn't Cancun in general, even before 2020, been significantly cut, due to lower tourists going there, seems a little odd now, unless they expect people to start going to Mexico more in the winter with the rest of the world still unknown for travel? I'm a big fan of the Guadalajara route as the only other direct route is/was from SJC, which makes anything other than O/D a lot more difficult than their other major gateways. Just wish the second frequency would be a little later in the day, but I see that each plane sits in GDL for ~3-4 hours, so might be why they're both morning departures for the turn.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 8:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A bunch of those are repositioning flights between hubs, where your choice is a) have the plane out of position when you need maintenance or fleet rotation (the intended way you use the plane is a rotation of something like AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-AAA), b) fly it empty to where it should be, or c) add some passengers on a domestic leg, because why not in preference to a) and b). There can also be some utilization reasons, like adding a short leg to help with getting maximum utilization (East Coast-MCO is a good example as a way to get additional flight hours utilization on top of a East Coast-Hawaii flight) or make it so you don't have too many planes at your hub occupying gates all at once.
When/if AA adds SEA-BLR, I would not be surprised to see a 789 slip into SEA-DFW for maintenance rotation.
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by safari ari
Hasn't Cancun in general, even before 2020, been significantly cut, due to lower tourists going there, seems a little odd now, unless they expect people to start going to Mexico more in the winter with the rest of the world still unknown for travel?
There are very limited options right now for those who want to go somewhere warm and somewhat exotic for the holidays so yes, I think the expectation is CUN will see an upsurge. Case in point: we just booked Andaz Mayakoba over New Years, flying B6 from SFO, in lieu of Thailand.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are very limited options right now for those who want to go somewhere warm and somewhat exotic for the holidays so yes, I think the expectation is CUN will see an upsurge. Case in point: we just booked Andaz Mayakoba over New Years, flying B6 from SFO, in lieu of Thailand.
People also want to have some degree of certainty when planning a vacation as well. Cancun has good safety measures in place but unlike most other destinations, the flights are more than likely going to operate. Who wants to plan a vacation around the holidays and find out a couple days before that the rules for travel to HI have changed again or cases are surging and the few places that were open to Americans are closed again, or the airline decides at the last minute to cut flights for whatever reason? There are plenty of options to get to/from CUN and you are unlikely to be stranded there for long periods of time if something does go wrong. Flights from Mexico are unlikely to be banned. Most people don't want to go on vacation in order to get stressed out nor do they want to be trapped in their hotels for the entire vacation under quarantine with few options to even get food. CUN is the one of the most logical options right now and the fact that it is relatively inexpensive does not hurt either.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Who wants to plan a vacation around the holidays and find out a couple days before that the rules for travel to HI have changed again or cases are surging and the few places that were open to Americans are closed again
I've gone to Hawaii something like 3-6 times a year for the past 10 years or so. I'm not even interested right now given their irrational, constantly changing rules.
NoLaGent, cmd320, anteater and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Instead of B6 being smart, I now think it opposite. Up until now, B6 had a reliable network and service to its major hubs, BOS, JFK, and LGB. Now, some, aircrafts are making several point to point, non hub flying, with cuts made to daily hub flying.

I would have given B6 business for flight to JFK but discovered that nonstop JFK flight did not operate on my designated day (Friday night) It’s been reduced to 3 or 4 times weekly I think.... The choice I was given was a connection itinerary via FLL ( SEA-FLL-JFK).

Sacrificing hub flights for a capturing a point to point flying is not likely going to bring good financial results for B6, my thinking. It’s definitely one of a riskier move likely resulting in B6 misstep.

Jiburi
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: Various
Added Service LAX-BZN EFF 5/20

According to an AS station employee, Bozeman is doing well for Alaska. Some changes are on the horizon (pun intended).

ADDING

Effective May 20, 2021, a 2nd non stop LAX - BZN and BZN-LAX flight set will be added to the schedule as follows:

AS 2028 BZN - LAX Dep 9:00am Arr 10:15am. E-175
AS 2103 LAX - BZN. Dep 4:30pm Arr 8:15pm + RON @ BZN E-175

DROPPING

Effective May 20, 2021 PDX - BZN Non Stop goes away

PDX - BZN. Q400
BZN - PDX. Q400

verified via Expert Flyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.