Wiki Posts
Search

Milk run booking help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:51 pm
ebp
Original Poster

Milk run booking help

Apologies, but I’m not well versed in the booking process. I was hoping to get some help. I’d like to use some miles before they expire, and I’d like to do the milk run. I have approx 34,000 miles, I’ll be starting and ending at SMF. A single (long) day is preferred. Thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
looking at Oct, you would have to overnight at SEA in one direction or the other, as the Inside Passage milk run schedule doesn't support a single-day turn -- the first SMF-SEA arrives 0800 but SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU leaves at 0750; the southbound return arrives SEA at 2105 but the last departure to SMF is at 1920 ... both are easily bookable using Multi-City; 10K each way in coach, 25k each way in First

181 SMF 6:00 am SEA 8:00 am
75 SEA 11:10 am JNU 12:45 pm
64 JNU 2:05 pm SEA 9:05 pm

831 SEA 7:55 am SMF 9:49 am

1100 SMF 7:25 pm SEA 9:25 pm

65 SEA 7:50 am JNU 12:59 pm
76 JNU 1:55 pm SEA 5:20 pm
654 SEA 7:20 pm SMF 9:08 pm

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 2, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ebp
Apologies, but I’m not well versed in the booking process. I was hoping to get some help. I’d like to use some miles before they expire, and I’d like to do the milk run. I have approx 34,000 miles, I’ll be starting and ending at SMF. A single (long) day is preferred. Thank you.
Are you trying to do the northern (ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA) or southern (ANC-JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA) milk-run or both? FYI...scroll down the first page of threads and you'll find another milk-run thread that may be helpful. This is one route where having a seat in the first class cabin matters since it's a relatively long flight for a short over-all distance. Be aware that the cloudy/rainy weather will start becoming a more frequent issue if you wait til October for this trip....I would try for August or September (at the latest) if your schedule permits.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Generally, which months are good for this trip wrt weather/visibility?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokisnake
I'm taking the northern milk run later this month....I would guess July/August and most of September would be the best months from a weather perspective.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Are you all trying to get to a higher status than you have now? I thought I heard AS was nice enough to extend current status through 2021 (plain old MVP for us), and since we've had such minimal travel this year (one trip in Feb before the world shut down) I'm very grateful for that.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Are you all trying to get to a higher status than you have now? I thought I heard AS was nice enough to extend current status through 2021 (plain old MVP for us), and since we've had such minimal travel this year (one trip in Feb before the world shut down) I'm very grateful for that.
Since the milk-run is a single flight #, it's not a good mileage run....I suspect most (including myself) want to fly it just for the fun of it With that said, if you're trying for higher status than what you have now, with the 50% EQM bonus on every single AS flight for the remainder of the year, this is the year to try for it.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Since the milk-run is a single flight #, it's not a good mileage run....I suspect most (including myself) want to fly it just for the fun of it With that said, if you're trying for higher status than what you have now, with the 50% EQM bonus on every single AS flight for the remainder of the year, this is the year to try for it.
This year the last thing I want to do is fly for the fun of it. YMMV. Literally.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I've flown AS64 JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA on brilliantly a clear day in early Aug (SEA-JNU on one of the last Combi flights), and (with Mrs767 and Seat 2A) a surprisingly equally beautiful day in early Nov (what was supposed to be the last 737-400 flight)

some pix from the Nov trip are in the Views from Above the Wing thread
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:20 pm

August, probably. In reality it rains on about 50% of days in Southeast Alaska during the summer... and those aren't the passing shower type of days that happen down south.

https://weatherspark.com/y/289/Avera...tes-Year-Round
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
I've flown AS64 JNU-PSG-WRG-KTN-SEA on brilliantly a clear day in early Aug (SEA-JNU on one of the last Combi flights), and (with Mrs767 and Seat 2A) a surprisingly equally beautiful day in early Nov (what was supposed to be the last 737-400 flight)

some pix from the Nov trip are in the Views from Above the Wing thread
Wow, I have to admit those were spectacular. Not what I was expecting at all. I think I'll bookmark this for a fun adventure in another year.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it was an easy up-and-back day trip; my solo Aug trip I took the city bus from JNU airport out to near the glacier (maybe a 20-min walk to the viewpoint), spent an hour or so wandering around some of the trails, and took the bus back to the airport ... when my wife was with me in Nov we rented a car ($18 thru Hotwire) which allowed us time to drive around a bit, stroll through downtown, and have lunch before getting on the southbound jet

presuming cruise ships return, I'd try to schedule a day when there are fewer port calls ... there were probably a dozen buses in the parking lot at the glacier, and more were arriving at what seemed to be 15-20-minute intervals
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only ever taken the southern milk-run (SEA-KTN-PSG-WRG-JNU)...for those that have done both the northern (ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU) and southern, any preference?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:11 pm

You're right, jlr, this would be a great year to visit Alaska since there are no cruise ships. Although I have to say the 2 times we have cruised to Alaska we have not had huge crowds around us, but we chose to take a helicopter to a glacier which was a wonderful experience, no one for miles around except us and the blue ice.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Flying for Fun? Who would do that? 🤣

James
PDXPremier and Gig103 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.