Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Elite on saver fare vs non revs getting upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite on saver fare vs non revs getting upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
You know exactly what you’re getting when you buy a saver fare. I’m not really sure the point of this post.
Very clear to me!

♫No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you paid for♫
standbyalldtime likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Very clear to me!

♫No, you can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you paid for♫
I did fly a few saver fares recently and ended up in Premium a few times. Almost no difference (to me) when the service in F currently sucks. I have a few transcons in august which I paid the little extra for regular Y fare. Hoping lounges & F B is better then
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by scklumb
I know the rules, and fully understand the rules. But when first has empty rows, and main cabin has rows with no social distancing. Shouldn't they place coach cabin passengers in first to create more social distancing?

My original post was a rant. Since elites have to pay extra for the upgrade should non rev's get charged some $ for upgrade too? I'm just bringing a discussion here. Airlines change what they charge for services (checked bagged fees, main cabin fee, etc). Should non-revs be nickel and dimed for services too? Do non-rev's get charged for a checked bag? Can they even check a bag?
I think AS intention is for the elites to purchase the ticket that they feel is the best “value” for them. Since the instillation of saver Fares this has increased the cost of my flights on average about 20-30%. I feel the 20-30% premium has been and will continue to be worth the value particularly with my need to be flexible and cancel flights. As a 75K now for about 5 years or so, the upgrade to FC frequency is so overwhelmingly positive for the value proposition that I’m still grateful in this COVID19 era and still have to travel.

Saver fares are EXPLICIT in the process of booking. It asks you several times if you are sure and that regardless of elite status there will be NO upgrade expectation to FC. This helps to temper undesired purchasing behavior for their business model. Similar to a Concert or sports ticket secondary market sales person at a stadium, they often would rather tear up the ticket then sell at an absurd low price so as to not get people used to fire sales.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP was not eligible for an upgrade. Period.

Whether someone else is eligible for one is irrelevant. If nobody is eligible and nobody pays for the seat, then it goes out empty.

It makes zero sense -- actually less than zero sense -- for AS (or any carrier) to cannibalize its fare structure to provide benefits available to those who pay for the standard fare. Who would pay for that if they can get it with a saver?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:33 pm

Is Alaska still upgrading under the covid climate? I fly Saturday for the first time since their onboard restrictions and service reductions were implemented.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Is Alaska still upgrading under the covid climate? I fly Saturday for the first time since their onboard restrictions and service reductions were implemented.
Yes, I had a reservation for today, YVR-SEA-HNL. I was upgraded on YVR-SEA at T-36 and SEA-HNL at T-25. Both flights had seat blocking in Main. I cancelled the flights but waited until OLCI to see if I would get upgraded.

James
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Yes, I had a reservation for today, YVR-SEA-HNL. I was upgraded on YVR-SEA at T-36 and SEA-HNL at T-25. Both flights had seat blocking in Main. I cancelled the flights but waited until OLCI to see if I would get upgraded.

James
I got upgraded at T-36 on a midcon. Luckily nobody was sitting next to me in F. Got to choose between prepackaged snack boxes. But the FA kept the red wine bottles coming, and served the 75K chocolate, so not bad.
pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:14 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

You got what you paid for with the saver fare. It definitely makes sense for Alaska to prioritize non-revs in this situation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
When I non-rev, I take the risk of:
  • Getting stuck in 32E
  • Getting stuck next to someone fatter than me
  • NOT getting on at all
  • NOT getting on at all, then put on the next flight's standby list which already has 20 other non-revs on it

When I buy a ticket on Alaska:
  • I refuse to buy BASIC because I need flexibility
  • I refuse to buy BASIC because I like premium cabin
  • I refuse to buy BASIC and possibly get stuck in the back of the plane
  • I refuse to buy BASIC and not have the ability to change my seat

If I need to get somewhere, I will more than likely buy a ticket. If I have flexibility, I'll non-rev. But even I've been bumped off a flight with 100 open seats, due to weight & balance + cargo. So, as someone that walks BOTH sides of this fence, let the Alaska Air employees get the upgrade when there's no one else on the standby list or willing to pay $50-$100 for it at the gate.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I thought I'd be booking some saver flights with the current fee waivers out there. But I ended up booking main cabin ($25 more OW) to preserve flexibility in the event I do go. I can change to one of 4 flights a day nonstop, or break the flight with a connection if need be. Upgrades- they are nice but I like the flexibility as @UAPremierExec outlined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.