Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Owes Nearly $600 Million in Credits to Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Owes Nearly $600 Million in Credits to Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Alaska Airlines Owes Nearly $600 Million in Credits to Travelers

To keep cash, most U.S. airlines have pushed travel credits, not refunds, for travelers affected by Covid-19. It’s better than returning money to customers, but for airlines, those credits create their own liabilities.

Alaska Airlines told investors last week it has between $500 million and $600 million in outstanding travel credits, about 10 times more than usual. Perhaps more concerning, the airline does not know how consumers will use them.

Airlines executives typically do not divulge such details in public, so Alaska’s revelation offers insight into yet another hurdle carriers face during this pandemic.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/alask...191515023.html

I finished up all my prepaid Alaska travel last week of February for the winter, so no credits for me. Had international award travel for March and May with miles that was fully refunded, including taxes.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
A bit more than 1 millionths of that is mine
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
A bit more than 1 millionths of that is mine
482 billionths for me.

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I wonder what the breakdown is of leisure vs. business travelers. There might be a lot of end of year/holiday travel bought with credit.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Based on Alaska's numbers, US3, and especially United must have a staggering amount of travel credit.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:46 pm

Didn't they get a bailout in the billions?

If they got multiple billion in bailout, they should be able to afford giving back less than one billion.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Didn't they get a bailout in the billions?

If they got multiple billion in bailout, they should be able to afford giving back less than one billion.
Per this article:
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...million-a-day/

They have $2.8 billion in cash reserves or "short term investments" as of June 1st.... I'm assuming that includes the $992 million of bailout assistance in April.

The good news of the article is that they seem to be exceeding their plan to cut the burn rate... but they're still in the negative expecting to burn $200 million in June. As expected, March was the worst since they couldn't react fast enough, at $400 million burnt.

Hopefully they can get the burning under control because if they go bankrupt or have to dip into the Mileage Plan, they'll lose any concept of loyal frequent flyers in my lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.