Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS v DL refund processing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by freed0m
did delta submit for refund reivew or straight refund?
I asked the Twitter agent for ecredit and it was done in a minute or so. Don’t think there was any review. It was also clear that it qualified under the covid waiver rules.

Originally Posted by DrAlex
I believe AS chat and text messaging (82008) can still process reservation cancellations if you're not into phone calls. Something DL does not have that I know of.
Delta does have text chat (and iMessage on iPhones), launched from their app. Thanks for the AS chat reminder (I think I knew that once); will try that tomorrow.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:09 am

My experience with AS has not been so easy. I agree with posters upthread, that if you cancel via the website for wallet credit, it's fast and easy. However, for other types of refunds, it's been a slow process. In particular:
1. refunds to credit card because of a cancellation or schedule change
2. refunds to wallet, that I had to process by phone because the schedule change made me unable to view my reservation online

In both cases above, the refund has gone to a separate refund department. I have no clue what order this department processes requests in; based on my data points, it's not by order of date requested, or by flight date. I've even had multiple refunds requested in the same phone call get processed weeks apart.

The fastest that this process has taken for me was just a couple days, in March. The longest it's (succesfully) taken has been almost a month. I'm still waiting on one outstanding refund I requested 1.5 months ago.

Meanwhile, there's no way for me to check on the status of a refund, and I only get an email when the refund is finished processing (not when the flight's cancelled and the refund is requested), which can be a little stressful because there's no way to confirm that the phone rep correctly requested a refund for me, and no paper trail for me if things go south. Additionally, in the few cases where I've refunded two flights that cost the same amount, when my refund actually arrives I have no way of telling which of the two flights it's for because the email and credit card refund transaction only have a ticket number (not a confirmation code) and that ticket number never matches any tickets I was issued.

I realize they're swamped, so I'm okay with the process, and happy to wait another couple of weeks. I'm not going to rush Alaska, and don't mind giving them a temporary loan. (If I minded, I wouldn't have so much wallet credit banked right now...) Just wanted to give my perspective (to anyone who cares to listen) on the parts of this process that haven't been as smooth.

As for the comparisons to DL: as much as I dislike DL's process, at least they process refunds mostly chronologically, their automated phone line recording tells you what week they are currently processing, and there's a website where you can check on your refund status.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:10 am

AS wallet credit is indeed easy and instant.

I am three weeks into getting three sets of AS flights turned into ecerts; the agency booking process didn’t permit wallet crediting. They’re in a state now where I cannot use them to rebook (have been exchanged), and just need to wait for something else to complete.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Delta does have text chat (and iMessage on iPhones), launched from their app. Thanks for the AS chat reminder (I think I knew that once); will try that tomorrow.
And thank you for that work around. I'll have that in the back pocket when Twitter is crickets.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I believe AS chat and text messaging (82008) can still process reservation cancellations if you're not into phone calls.
That was very painless. Just copied my tweet with the details into SMS, and it literally took less than a minute for them to cancel it. They did say the refund should appear within 7 business days, but that it can take up to 30 days. I am fine with that.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: Alaska
called to request for refund from AS on June 1st. miles refunded immediately. tax and partner fee back to the card on the 4th.

called to request for refund from DL in May, now status is still pending. It seems that DL is still processing refund in end March...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.