Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Asia MP Award Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Intra-Asia MP Award Redemptions

I was wondering if anyone had experience or insight regarding intra-Asia MP award redemptions. I have a trip I am expecting to make next year that would involve a PEK-HKG segment, and I was hoping to fly CX F (short flight but just want to try CX F regardless). Does As allow for this type of award ticket, or must the flight originate in U.S.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Brostman
I was wondering if anyone had experience or insight regarding intra-Asia MP award redemptions. I have a trip I am expecting to make next year that would involve a PEK-HKG segment, and I was hoping to fly CX F (short flight but just want to try CX F regardless). Does As allow for this type of award ticket, or must the flight originate in U.S.
The AS award chart shows F CX awards for 27.5k one way. Shouldn't be a problem as long as CX is flying an aircraft with F. After Covid-19 things may change permanently.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Brostman
As the other poster pointed out, yes you can it’s on the award chart. Although getting an award on one of these flights is incredibly hard as CX regularly sells out this PEK - HKG and HND - HKG, the 2 routes with true F. They used to do a bunch more but it probably won’t come back after Covid
Old May 26, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Some of those PEK-HKG flights are KA, not CX. Won't be able to book those with AS miles until AS joins oneworld, which is ????? (sometime in 2021 but AS is notorious for slipping dates). Also, CX doesn't make much intra-Asia F award inventory available for partners, as stated.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Some of those PEK-HKG flights are KA, not CX. Won't be able to book those with AS miles until AS joins oneworld, which is ????? (sometime in 2021 but AS is notorious for slipping dates). Also, CX doesn't make much intra-Asia F award inventory available for partners, as stated.
The ratio is actually more like 10 KA v 3 CX. I used to prefer the former back when KA had better food, but that gap is now pretty much non-existent.

If the OP does manage to score a seat, and his flight is cancelled or doesn't have F, I would expect CX to rebook him on KA (they do have F, but the seat is the same as CX J) or CA without charge.

PEK-HKG is pretty good use of miles IMO, even if only Y is on offer. When paying cash, you're looking at about Y1000 for CZ, Y1200 for CA, and Y1500 for CX/KA. I'm okay with CZ myself, but KA is considerably nicer, and has a much higher schedule frequency.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
The ratio is actually more like 10 KA v 3 CX. I used to prefer the former back when KA had better food, but that gap is now pretty much non-existent.

If the OP does manage to score a seat, and his flight is cancelled or doesn't have F, I would expect CX to rebook him on KA (they do have F, but the seat is the same as CX J) or CA without charge.
If the intent is to sample CX F though, getting CX longhaul J equipment as KA F might not really compare, though I am sure it wouldn’t be terrible for a three hour flight. The easiest way to sample CX F with AS miles was YVR-JFK or v.v (ridiculously so, which is why CX killed the route). Good luck to OP but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
If the intent is to sample CX F though, getting CX longhaul J equipment as KA F might not really compare, though I am sure it wouldn’t be terrible for a three hour flight. The easiest way to sample CX F with AS miles was YVR-JFK or v.v (ridiculously so, which is why CX killed the route). Good luck to OP but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

F on PEK-HKG is not the same F on long haul flights.

meal and drinks are different, maybe worse than international long haul J. I took HKG-PEK on F, there was definitely no caviar in breakfast. Nothing special in the breakfast, either. It could be just one-tray service, I can't remember it exactly. There is nothing memorable about the flight, beside that it was delayed due to ATC for a few hours. Still breakfast was served instead of lunch. I was lucky to have breakfast in lounge before the flight.

the hardware is the same as international long haul F, though. But does it really matter that much for such a short flight?
Old May 26, 2020, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by freed0m
F on PEK-HKG is not the same F on long haul flights.

meal and drinks are different, maybe worse than international long haul J. I took HKG-PEK on F, there was definitely no caviar in breakfast. Nothing special in the breakfast, either. It could be just one-tray service, I can't remember it exactly. There is nothing memorable about the flight, beside that it was delayed due to ATC for a few hours. Still breakfast was served instead of lunch. I was lucky to have breakfast in lounge before the flight.

the hardware is the same as international long haul F, though. But does it really matter that much for such a short flight?
F lounge ex-HKG is certainly an experience if you’ve never tried it before. But I agree, Ex-PEK may not be worth it.

Best value might be Ex: HND - HKG followed by a (long) connection somewhere else. HND JAL lounge is fairly nice, followed by a reasonably long F flight, which happens to be just long enough to allow for F access in HKG (recommend the Pier).

but that’s again if you can find the unicorn F space on that route!
Old May 27, 2020, 6:44 am

I happen to prefer KA F to CX F on that route, even though the food probably isn't much of a differentiator any more (as I suggested in my previous post). The seat is obviously nicer on CX, but I find KA delivers warmer service.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
F lounge ex-HKG is certainly an experience if you’ve never tried it before. But I agree, Ex-PEK may not be worth it.

Best value might be Ex: HND - HKG followed by a (long) connection somewhere else. HND JAL lounge is fairly nice, followed by a reasonably long F flight, which happens to be just long enough to allow for F access in HKG (recommend the Pier).

but that’s again if you can find the unicorn F space on that route!
HND F lounge was also just redone, but was reopened(?) for such a short time.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I happen to prefer KA F to CX F on that route, even though the food probably isn't much of a differentiator any more (as I suggested in my previous post). The seat is obviously nicer on CX, but I find KA delivers warmer service.
But then you have to get switched onto a KA flight, etc. I mean, is it really worth playing a lottery twice, finding partner F AND then getting switched to a KA F flight?

IMO CX shorthaul F isn’t really the F experience (I’ve done it BKK-HKG), unless OP is just dying to get into a HKG F Lounge and that 77W seat- but that doesn’t even happen necessarily ex-PEK.You’re not getting pajamas, Krug and caviar for sure.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:28 am

But then you have to get switched onto a KA flight, etc. I mean, is it really worth playing a lottery twice, finding partner F AND then getting switched to a KA F flight?

IMO CX shorthaul F isn’t really the F experience (I’ve done it BKK-HKG), unless OP is just dying to get into a HKG F Lounge and that 77W seat- but that doesn’t even happen necessarily ex-PEK.You’re not getting pajamas, Krug and caviar for sure.
My preference for KA isn't significant enough for me to really care. However, if the OP books CX F, and the flight is cancelled or switched a flight without F, he'd presumably be able to select KA or CA flights with F during rebooking.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My preference for KA isn't significant enough for me to really care. However, if the OP books CX F, and the flight is cancelled or switched a flight without F, he'd presumably be able to select KA or CA flights with F during rebooking.
CX is an AS partner, KA & CA are not! If his award is canceled or downgraded, he can't switch to KA or CA. AS issued the ticket and it is AS who will have to reissue the ticket where no such options exist.

If CX and KA merge into the CX brand as they would like to, the dynamics change, but it is unlikely that will happen soon.

Cathay Pacific's brand merger hits roadblock

James
Old May 28, 2020, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
CX is an AS partner, KA & CA are not! If his award is canceled or downgraded, he can't switch to KA or CA. AS issued the ticket and it is AS who will have to reissue the ticket where no such options exist.

If CX and KA merge into the CX brand as they would like to, the dynamics change, but it is unlikely that will happen soon.

Cathay Pacific's brand merger hits roadblock

James
IME CX flights with F on that route usually don't get swapped for airplanes without F until after they are under airport control. After that, CX doesn't really differentiate between its own flights and KA/CA flights. All 3 are revenue partners.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
IME CX flights with F on that route usually don't get swapped for airplanes without F until after they are under airport control. After that, CX doesn't really differentiate between its own flights and KA/CA flights. All 3 are revenue partners.
Anything is possible within 24 hours! CX TPACs have had equipment changes to non F cabin aircraft months in advance. I think the question should be, "will CX be flying equipment with F on that route at that time?" You can certainly book now based on a pre COVID-19 schedule but I wouldn't count on your lottery ticket taking flight. I would anticipate changes to occur long before 24 hours as the time approaches, in which case, AS is issuing you a new ticket. It will be quite some time before all the stored aircraft get their wheels off the ground.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.